Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Here's how this debate works.

Some people know that diet soda doesn't have calories and artificial sweeteners are safe to drink.

Other people are wrong.

tumblr_m8ebektHwy1rziwwco1_500.png

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Which food chemical company commissioned the study?

follow the money...

When you resort to conspiracy, you've already lost

What conspiracy? I asked a question. Who funded the study?

Are you denying that lobbyist groups fund studies to support the claims of the people they are lobbying for?

It's been documented numerous times over the years - tobacco industry, insecticides, chemicals. Pardon me for being skeptical.

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »

follow the money...

Like you see this? This is tin foil hat, conspiracy nonsense. There's no point in debating someone like this. You can show them proof right in front of their eyes and they'll tell you that there's a giant conspiracy by food companies to intentionally give people cancer and probably something about lizard people from Planet X.

Wow. Overreact, much?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

follow the money...

When you resort to conspiracy, you've already lost

What conspiracy? I asked a question. Who funded the study?

Are you denying that lobbyist groups fund studies to support the claims of the people they are lobbying for?

It's been documented numerous times over the years - tobacco industry, insecticides, chemicals. Pardon me for being skeptical.

General skepticism is fine and dandy. But there's no point in attempting to follow a money trail until you have a reason to do so. It's not like you can hide bias in experiment design or conclusions. You first look at the study. If at that point something looks off, then you wonder about funding and its associated bias.

You don't just go around assuming studies are invalid because people have agendas.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    If there are zero calories in it, where would the weight gain come from? I don't understand how the whole diet soda good/bad is a debate to begin with.

Well, if you drink lots of diet soda then you would more likely have elevated sodium levels which will in turn cause an uptick in water retention..which in turn would cause your weight to go up.

but nah, I'm just being a technical A-hole bc people throw around the word weight when they really mean fat so it's always misleading. Code zero is the beezneez

Since the sodium levels in diet soda are roughly on par with the sodium levels of a plain stalk of celery (+/- 30mg, depending on soda, vs 32mg for a 40g celery stalk), it would seem to me that - for example - a simple celery stalk with peanut butter would cause a larger uptake in water retention than diet soda would. I've yet to see folks advocate reducing celery consumption - or even peanut butter consumption - as a means of effectively reducing water weight.

Very true. I was initially was trying to make a stretch on how one could possibly gain weight on diet soda but yeah, it is a bit unrealistic as you say.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I believe that diet soda makes no practical difference one way or the other. It doesn't hurt weight loss, and it doesn't help it either. And since the referenced study doesn't appear to control for calories (did it even track them?), it basically tells us nothing, except that the diet soda group apparently ate fewer calories, which we probably don't even know anyway.

As usual, it's a case of taking hold of yet another inconclusive study and presenting it as something of significance.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    "These pilot investigations are consistent with a revised hypothesis: Sweetness decoupled from caloric content offers partial, but not complete, activation of the food reward pathways. Activation of the hedonic component may contribute to increased appetite. Animals seek food to satisfy the inherent craving for sweetness, even in the absence of energy need. Lack of complete satisfaction, likely because of the failure to activate the postingestive component, further fuels the food seeking behavior. Reduction in reward response may contribute to obesity."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

I think this is what it was referencing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going be a debate on which diet soda was the best.

The answer is A&W diet root beer, BTW.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

No way. Diet Big Red.
    Go trashy or go home.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Canada Dry 10 (diet ginger ale...especially with vodka) is my new obsession. Coke Zero comes in second.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi all the way!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Fresca. cause it doesnt have the word diet in it but its secretly diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Since I still had this page open from an earlier thread...

MjAxMi04MTJjNmE2ZDIwMWFlYjRh.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Myth 2: Diet sodas make you gain weight.

However, diet drinks helping you lose weight? Hm...not so sure about that one.

I don't understand why this is confusing? If people are normally consuming regularly sweetened drinks (soda, juice, etc) and switch to diet soda with zero calories, they are saving anywhere from 100-500 cals or more/day depending how many of the regular drinks they averaged? So why wouldn't that help you lose weight, to cut out caloric drinks and replace them with no/low caloric drinks?

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^This is the only correct answer.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    HMMM. Back when our species was evolving and coming up with the body stucture that we are now living with, what did they drink? Oh! I know.....water! Top notch stuff - no calories, excellent re-hydrater, cheap, readily available, definitely not medically suspect. Get it inta ya!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    HMMM. Back when our species was evolving and coming up with the body stucture that we are now living with, what did they drink? Oh! I know.....water! Top notch stuff - no calories, excellent re-hydrater, cheap, readily available, definitely not medically suspect. Get it inta ya!

Well, since diet soda is 99% water, I'm good!

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Canada Dry 10 (diet ginger ale...especially with vodka) is my new obsession. Coke Zero comes in second.
    I will actually give the tip to A&W 10 over diet A&W, but the 10 calorie drinks a grey area.

A couple days ago, I mixed diet Coke and Coke Zero together. It was actually pretty glorious. #YOLO

giphy.gif