6 pack abs after kids..... possible?

jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I've been doing this whole fitness game for coming up to 3 yrs. I've lost 1/3 of my bodyweight, going from 75kg to 50kg and increased my fitness level from nonexistent to training for a half marathon and working out 6 days a week.

My body is in the best shape ever and I'm so pleased I've come all this way, on my own with my own sheer grit and determination. BUT..... I really want to know if I can achieve a 6 pack! I have a strong core, but an overly curved spine means that I can't do some abs exercises (as will hurt lower back). There is very little fat left on my body (measured with callipers a year ago as 14%), no boobs to speak of and yet still there is no 6 pack! I'm wondering if the excess skin from my 3 pregnancies is just sitting over the top and hiding it? Is that likely? How does Mel B do it (I have her DVD!)??!!

Or am I just making excuses??

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    First, congrats on the loss! That's wonderful!

Second, please don't compare yourself to celebrities. Remember they often have access to things we normal folk dont have - like crazy workout gurus, flexibility in scheduling (ie a nanny to watch kiddo while mommy does a 5 hour or more work out), and you never know maybe the celeb you idolize had a C-section and tummy tuck (or is that just folklore?). The point is, they live under different circumstances than most of us do. So hopefully other "real" moms can help you out here.

Third, I've seen some women with a 6pack after kids. Also, I know the trainers/body builders I talked to at my gym had like 3% fat (men). I could be wrong, but I've been under the impression that you have to be super lean for the 6pack to really show.

Anyway, good job on everything you have accomplished!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Wow what an amazing job you've done! I have excess skin on my stomach after pregnancy too, so much that I know I'll never have a six pack, it'll depends on how much skin you have but I'd guess that even a little bit would be enough to hide the muscles.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    According to my husband, I have a four-pack. But all the research I've done says that the majority of woman cannot and should not achieve six-pack abs. We tend to carry a little cushion over the lower two-pack for protection of our reproductive organs. And for you, especially having lower back issues, that will make it a harder area for you to target. But take a true assessment of yourself. I bet if you stood in from of a mirror, you'd see them. Maybe not like the advertisements on the side of this page in the website at times, but definitely impressive for a mother of 3 who has lost 55 lb. Keep up the awesome job!!!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    With 14% body fat your body fat is low enough to see some definition but if you are not doing ab exercises getting that six pack look may be difficult. Is it that important to you? Personally I like the chiselled look of strong abs on a woman but from what I've seen most women just shoot for toned and flat.

It may also be that your excess skin needs more time to snap back. My body fat is below 14% but this is a recent accomplishment so I still have some loose folds of skin when I'm sitting, not much but enough to annoy me.

I know most people would not agree, but you may try getting your body fat percentage even lower. I believe that if it is low enough, the excess skin will have no choice but to recede. Once it is gone, going back up to 14% will not cause it to return.

I'm on the same six-pack journey. I like the progress I'm making but getting the same look that you see in fitness magazines is extremely difficult. I'm determined to get there but at 43 with kids and a full time job I have to pace myself.

Good luck and I predict we will see you posting pictures of your ripped abs in the future.
  • TropicalKitty
    getting the same look that you see in fitness magazines is extremely difficult.

Don't forget how altered things can be - like how dehydrated those models are for the photoshoot. Oh, and Photoshop is awesome. ;)

Sorry I keep stressing it, but really, media is a HORRIBLE place to compare yourself to. You really can't trust what you see. (I'm not saying you can't get that kind of "ripped" but it's not a constant look that is healthy.)
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member

Don't forget how altered things can be - like how dehydrated those models are for the photoshoot. Oh, and Photoshop is awesome. ;)

Sorry I keep stressing it, but really, media is a HORRIBLE place to compare yourself to. You really can't trust what you see. (I'm not saying you can't get that kind of "ripped" but it's not a constant look that is healthy.)

I agree with you Tropical. Maintaining that look is not healthy but even getting close to that look is hard work.

Don't think I am naive about the media. I despise the image the media is trying to portray as healthy. It's one thing to honestly display these models as extreme cases but to even imply that this should be the desired goal of the general public is downright evil.

Thanks for calling me out on that comment.
  • TropicalKitty

I agree with you Tropical. Maintaining that look is not healthy but even getting close to that look is hard work.

Don't think I am naive about the media. I despise the image the media is trying to portray as healthy. It's one thing to honestly display these models as extreme cases but to even imply that this should be the desired goal of the general public is downright evil.

Thanks for calling me out on that comment.

Definitely a lot of hard work! No disagreement there! The time commitment is rediculous.

I didn't think you are necessarily fooled by the media - but a lot of people are, which is why I wanted to point that out. The lusting after the images in magazines/tv has caused a lot of people (men and women!) many issues in life - eating disorders, body image problems, self-esteem problems. And that's all from some thought that the people look like that all the time, or that what you see is the absolute truth (reality: models with dresses not zipped b/c they're too tight, airbrushed or painted on tan lines to enhance abs or other muscles...).

I wish the best for you and the OP in your fitness endeavours! :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    My question would be: Did you have a 6 pack PRIOR to having children? If not then probably a huge order for your body. That coupled with the low back issues, well.........

I have seen women on here who have done the extreme videos that have a very defined abdominal area. Of course they are doing P90X and working very very hard to achieve these goals.

Body fat also plays a HUGE roll in us women showing those muscles. I have a good friend who has had no children. She has worked her abs since she was 19, is 47 or so now and is the only girl I know with a well defined upper and lower abs.............well until she moved to New England and met Mr Winter..............along with all the carbs being served at her new job.

10 pounds and bam, no abs. They were there for sure, but you could not see them any more. 10 stinking pounds...........and she was too thin to begin with when she went up there after haveing a sick spouse who passed away.

I guess my point is: How hard are you willing to work for a 6 pack, and how important is it to you?

Congratulations on losing all the weight and being a healthy example for your kiddos!!!
This discussion has been closed.