What improvements have you seen?

Options
Let's put aside the pounds for this post and focus on what we have improved upon this past year. Often I hear people moan and groan about gaining back a little weight over the holidays but just as often those same people have seen accomplishments in the long term that far outweigh their set backs. Just the fact that they are aware of their weight gain is a positive.

What have you accomplished this year with fitness? What can you do today that you could not do a year ago? Have you lost a size or two?

For me:
My body fat percentage went from 22% to under 14% (hard to get an accurate reading).
I went from 3 pullups to over 10 pullups.
I can run on the treadmill where I could previously only jog.
I went from doing 40 second planks to over 2 minutes.

Sure I've lost some weight, but more importantly I've developed my body so that I'm more in control of my weight. I am more conscious of the foods I eat and exercise is now part of my normal routine.

Replies

• lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For me, the best improvement was that I have been taken off diabetes and high blood pressure meds! YAY!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I've seen improvement in my running - went from 6k to 12k and am now looking to half marathon as my 2011 goal. I'm in great shape and loving how much I appreciate my 'new' body. I've dropped from a UK/ Australian size 8-10 (although was a 14 to start with!) to a 6-8. Look forward to reading what others have accomplished too :-)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Last year I had bad bursitis in left shoulder. Went to physical therapy which helped a little, but I was resigned to the fact that it was a chronic condition and would never completely go away. I started strength training this fall, and guess what...it's GONE!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Since I started eating healthy I havent been sick! One year, wohow! I am so happy about this...
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was only able to run for 3 minutes before I had to take a break. Now I can run for 60 minutes straight.
    I have biceps and triceps.
    I can do 30 "real" push-ups.
    My body fat went from 24 down to 16%
    And most importantly: My children now think exercising is the "cool thing" to do.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My greatest success for 2010 is that now I actually drink water.....for most of my life I was in a constant state of dehydration and I've tried many times to fix it....but having to log the water I drink really helped me the reach my goal...

that and my work pants fit like pants now and not leggings woo hoo
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For me, the best improvement was that I have been taken off diabetes and high blood pressure meds! YAY!

As someone with a family history of diabetes this really made my day. Staying fit is especially important to me because I know that if I get overweight I will be diabetic and will likely die young as my mother did.

It's amazing that usually the cure for adult-onset diabetes is exercise and staying fit.

Thank you
  • booboomagoo
    booboomagoo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am now able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping. I can bend over to tie my shoes easily.
  • FitnessTim
    Options
    Last year I had bad bursitis in left shoulder. Went to physical therapy which helped a little, but I was resigned to the fact that it was a chronic condition and would never completely go away. I started strength training this fall, and guess what...it's GONE!

I have (or had) this annoying pain in my shoulder. When I stay up on my strength training it goes away. Doesn't it seem counterintuitive to lift weights to make pain go away? Well it works!
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    I have only been at this for three weeks, but I I started out on the treadmill and it took me 40 minutes to walk 2 miles. I can now do 2 miles in just under 31.5 minutes and that is with a little jogging - WOO HOO!

Good luck to everybody! You have to celebrate the small accomplishments and not beat yourself up when you fall off or backslide.

Mary
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What an awesome question! There are so many, let's see:

1. I can cross my legs.
    2. I can do 25 modified push-ups at a time. (I will get to real ones in 2011, I just know I will!)
    3. I have a lot more energy.
    4. I look forward to exercising and I actively search for new things to try.
    5. I have large size clothes that I will never, ever, wear again. They are in the yard sale pile.
    6. I am much more positive about life in general.
    7. I don't have as much joint pain.
    8. I will be buying a much smaller swimsuit this year and I actually look forward to being able to use it!
    9. I know I will not be following in my father's Type II Diabetes footsteps.
    10. I want to run a 5K. I have never in my life wanted to run a 5K. This year, I do.

There are more, but that is a good list. Thanks for helping me focus on all the positive things and giving me a boost for the new year! :happy:
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had so many changes this year-it is crazy!

-Went down a 2 to 4 clothing sizes depending on where I shop
    -Lowered my blood pressure to the healthy range
    -Went from a White Belt to a Blue Stripe in Taekwondo
    -Increased my flexibility
    -Found a sport that I love
    -Found my biceps :heart:
    - Lost over 17 inches
    -Feel healthier/more energetic/stronger

It's been a great year!
  • FitnessTim
    Options
    It's been great to see the wide range of accomplishments. It doesn't matter what the improvement is, from drinking more water to running a 5k; if it is better than you were able to do last year than it is meaningful.

I'm more impressed with someon who never did pushups achieving 10 pushups than I am with an gym rat who does 50.

I've heard and read so many stories of people who were so out of shape that they couldn't walk a mile never mind run a mile, who later went on to run a marathon of 26 miles within the same year.

When you start this new year try to focus on where you want to be. I'm serious about this. Literally, take twenty minutes and sit and imagine yourself accomplishing your goals. Close your eyes and visual it and imagine how good you will feel and all the positive benefits you will experience.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Bump for the New Year! This is a great topic!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I can look in a mirror without wanting to cry, and think 'im not actually that bad' (although pictures are another thing entirely still avoid those most the time)
    i feel more energetic, i can do a full combat class after a pump class without taking a 5 minute rest in the combat class
    I can fit into a small in gym dri fit stuff where as before i was busting out of the lycra medium to large.
  • FitnessTim
    Options
    I can look in a mirror without wanting to cry, and think 'im not actually that bad' (although pictures are another thing entirely still avoid those most the time)
    i feel more energetic, i can do a full combat class after a pump class without taking a 5 minute rest in the combat class
    I can fit into a small in gym dri fit stuff where as before i was busting out of the lycra medium to large.

Your comments touched me. I don't know how many friends I've had who I've seen cry about being overweight. Mostly my female friends but I bet some of my guy friends shed a tear or two in private.

I hope you have more tears in you so you can shed tears of joy when you hit more milestone on your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!