SL 5X5....Need more

Options
So I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, very new to weight lifting.
I enjoy it, it's working quite well for me.

Currently on week 4

Squat 135
OHP 90
DL 205
Bench 105
Row 65

I'm looking for other strength exercises to add in, as accessory work.

I do all my lifting in my basement.

Currently have oly bar
Plates v
4 x 45
4 x 35
4 x 25
4 x 10
2 x 5
2 x 2.5

Plus standard dumbells with enough plates to make them 50lbs each

Homemade power rack
Homemade bench
Exercise ball

What would be good exercises to add in on Deadlift day? Bench day?

or any recommended websites, phone apps.

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Ice Cream Fitness which is basically SL 5x5 with accessory work. I always do the five big compound lifts first. Accessory work adds fun and variety but compound lifts are my foundation. :smile:
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    So I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, very new to weight lifting.
    I enjoy it, it's working quite well for me.

Currently on week 4

Squat 135
    OHP 90
    DL 205
    Bench 105
    Row 65

I'm looking for other strength exercises to add in, as accessory work.

I do all my lifting in my basement.

Currently have oly bar
    Plates v
    4 x 45
    4 x 35
    4 x 25
    4 x 10
    2 x 5
    2 x 2.5

Plus standard dumbells with enough plates to make them 50lbs each

Homemade power rack
    Homemade bench
    Exercise ball

What would be good exercises to add in on Deadlift day? Bench day?

or any recommended websites, phone apps.
    Just finished my first 12 week session on SL.
    BW@185lbs
    SQ: 280x5 1RM: 365
    BCH: 185x5 1RM: 235
    DL: 335x5 1RM: 385
    OP: 130x5 1RM: 150
    ROW: 185x5 1RM: 215

The accessory work that they recommend is dips on the bench day and pull-ups on the DL day. As the weights get heavier though and you need more time to recover in between sets, it get's harder to keep the workout shorter. I started adding weighted pull-ups on the DL day in week 3 and was up to doing 3 sets of 5 reps with 75 lbs at the end.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Pull ups, dips, pushups.

I do some other accessory work for my shoulders and lats, but those are really to grind me down and build some muscular endurance.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    you don't "need" accessory work on strong lifts 5x5 but like someone else said Ice Cream fitness is essentially just that. Consider checking it out. I do some accessory work for my shoulders and rotator cuff to help prevent injury and build strength.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have read some brief descriptions of this program before but never done it myself. I have performed other programs in the past so I'm not a rookie. I said all that to ask, is this program designed to be customizable? When it comes to these beginner lifting programs, I would think that they should be done as written until gains have stalled. Once you are out of the beginner/novice phase, it is probably time to move on to a different program.

I know that in Starting Strength, Rippetoe defines a novice as a lifter that can increase the weight used for their working sets every workout. If you are still gaining strength based on that definition, I would continue to do the program as written until you cease to make gains from workout to workout.

Lifting isn't a sprint. Don't burn yourself out by doing more work than necessary.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Ice Cream Fitness which is basically SL 5x5 with accessory work. I always do the five big compound lifts first. Accessory work adds fun and variety but compound lifts are my foundation. :smile:

This is great. Thanks
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You really don't need much if any accessory work. If anything I could suggest...

1. Chin-ups (lat pulldowns if you cant do chins) in between pressing sets. But don't go crazy with the volume
    2. Dips in between Rowing sets
    3. Back Raises 3 x 15 with bodyweight at the end of "B" days.
    4. Do something for your obliques or ab's for 25 - 50 reps every session. This is not meant to develop a 6-pack but rather to help add to your stabilization for injury prevention and even to help progress your strength in the main lifts.

I would seriously leave it at that and nothing more. Super-setting movements 1 - 3 above with the main lift shouldn't add much more time to your training either and it won't detract from it either. If it does detract a little, it just means you need to get in better shape.

Most people are fine with just the barbell movements but sometimes accessory work is needed. I personally find the dips to have good carryover in helping develop the press / ohp. Just don't get carried away with accessory work because in-excess it will detract from your training.