Subway?

Options
I am eating Subway maybe 4 times a week, I usually get a 6" turkey/ham on whole wheat with light mayo and cheese but I am calculating all my calories and staying within my daily intake. I tend to have bigger lunches then dinner.
I am still eating within my calorie allowence and sodium allowence but I find that my weight is always up and down within a pound daily. ( I know, I shouldn't weigh in every morning!! I am working at this!!).
Do you think that the subway is causing this? Would I see better results if I stop eating subway weekdays?
PS. I am working out/drenched in sweat 5 nights a week!!!

Replies

• Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Its only a pound up or down, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's me because I love subway.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to give it up completely (althogh some will say that the sodium in the lunch meat is making you retain water) BUt you could try getting it without cheese for a week. Or with vinegar or mustard instead of the mayo, see if those calorie reductions are enough to get you losing again. Or...if you're working out hard, you may need MORE calories to maintain a steady loss. How many calories are you netting a day after your workouts? Still around 1200-1500 you should be fine and lose.
    Really up your water to combat the sodium and try changing up your cheese/mayo and see what that does. Might help!
  • jenifer4
    Options
    I love subway too, but I think I am willing to give it up and maybe only eat it once a week or twice becuase I love seeing the scale actually go down more then subway haha!

I love eating subway because I use to eat fast food on a daily basis (which is why I am here!!) and it makes me feel like I am still eating out even though its healthy.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Daily weigh-ins can be decieving.
    And that is a lot of bread- maybe you're a little carb resistant?
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you can definitely eat Subway without seeing negative results on the scale. It sounds like you're eating right, too -- besides possible sodium overload from the processed lunch meat, I see little problem if you're in your calorie allotment.

I recommend upping your water for a week and seeing what happens! This did wonders for me (I have a hard time cutting back on the sodium. I find that even "recommended" amounts of sodium can be too much, but it's so delicious! Lol)

(HINT: Whenever I'm eating any kind of sandwich, be it wrap, burger, or whatever, I make a point of picking out a lot of the bread before I get started. It makes a big difference, and I can enjoy the good stuff (the filling!) more without the crazy amount of bread that a lot of places serve their food on.)
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the really greasy ones, like chicken pizzola, club or meatball. Now i only get the veggie on whole wheat, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, cucumber and pickles, and a very bit of Italian (house) dressing. It is only 248 calories, and less than 4 dollars, so i usually get it once a week. I never thought i could like a fully veggie sub until i tried it!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, and would maybe go once a week. but I had to cut back b/c of the sodium. they had a chart posted where you order about what to get for low fat, low sodium, etc. so I followed what it recommended. still a lot of sodium. most likely the cold cuts, cheese, sauce and bread. I have to watch my sodium anyway, and normally keep it between 600-1200 / day. If I go there now, and get a 6", I just eat half of that...then drink the day away! Still a much better choice then fast food. Yummo!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The sodium is probably the cause. Its really hard to avoid it when you eat out because that is what the food industry uses for taste instead of all the fat they used to put in them. I love Subway and when I go I too eat just a veggie sub on the wheat bread with mustard. I never miss the meat because with all the veggies they put on them you really dont taste the meat anyway. I only eat out rarely so its a treat for me. I have managed to lose 70 pounds this way so its working for me. If you think that you may be retaining water from all the sodium, just try upping your water intake to see if that can counterbalance it.
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    even if i have eaten nothing all day my weight can go up and down by 2-4 lbs a day
  • jenifer4
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will up my water intake forsure to see if that helps.
    Good suggestions!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the really greasy ones, like chicken pizzola, club or meatball. Now i only get the veggie on whole wheat, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, cucumber and pickles, and a very bit of Italian (house) dressing. It is only 248 calories, and less than 4 dollars, so i usually get it once a week. I never thought i could like a fully veggie sub until i tried it!

Look up Subway bread on the internet. Subway whole wheat isn't whole wheat. It is white bread with dyes added for color. The also put ammonium sulfate to help the yeast. This is a common chemical found in fertilizer. It also contains HFCS.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/06/subway-bread-has-more-high-fructose-corn-syrup-than-whole-grains/

http://www.shapefit.com/diet/subway-healthy-fast-food.html

I'm not saying don't eat it. It just isn't as healthy as a lot of people think
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

Look up Subway bread on the internet. Subway whole wheat isn't whole wheat. It is white bread with dyes added for color. The also put ammonium sulfate to help the yeast. This is a common chemical found in fertilizer. It also contains HFCS.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/06/subway-bread-has-more-high-fructose-corn-syrup-than-whole-grains/

http://www.shapefit.com/diet/subway-healthy-fast-food.html

I'm not saying don't eat it. It just isn't as healthy as a lot of people think

I totally agree! I had thought I was doing well by getting the wheat, but when I looked up their ingredients I was sorely disappointed.

It's really just advertising that leads people to think it's a healthy place to eat. Yes, you can get some "better" options, but it's still made from sub-par ingredients.

I'm not saying NEVER eat it, but I wouldn't make it the main staple of your diet. And as for the weight fluctuations, sodium can do that, plus there are natural fluctuations in your weight anyway.
  • evieparamore
    evieparamore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I typically eat a little under my calorie goal and burn more calories exercising than MFP suggests. I weigh myself every morning, and often times I am up or down 0.5-1lb...pretty frustrating when it's up rather than down. Sounds like your Subway selections are pretty healthy. It's hard, but I would just try to be patient. I have found in the past that, after about a week, my weight fluctuation goes down about 1lb - still up and down throughout the week, but to a lower weight range than the previous week.
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know some Biggest Loser people and even though they have it on the show, they are not allowed to eat it. Its bad
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    O for the love of god. Subway is fine in moderation. The wheat bread is higher fiber and anything there beats the heck out of any other fast food place. In a perfect world we could pack a perfect yummy lunch everyday but thAt hasn't happened since 2nd grade when mommy did it for us.
  • yvonne1348
    Options
    Subway will hollow out the bread on request, so you're not eating so much of it. Might want to skip the cheese and load up on the veggies. Veggies are a great way to fill up without getting the high calories.

Yvonne
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    O for the love of god. Subway is fine in moderation. The wheat bread is higher fiber and anything there beats the heck out of any other fast food place. In a perfect world we could pack a perfect yummy lunch everyday but thAt hasn't happened since 2nd grade when mommy did it for us.

Where's the like button when you need it???:drinker: