When do you start buying new clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I should probably start buying new clothes... I'm constantly rolling the waist of my old ones and I can't run, for fear of them falling down. I'd say every 20 lbs?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    At my work, I need to look somewhat professional --- so I gave away some old clothes and took some others to a seamstress who took them in.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill, buy a pair of pants that fit, take the biggest ones you own and put them in a box.
    Repeat this for every 10 pounds you lose, or for every size.
    When you make it to your goal, keep what you have on the hanger, buy some brand new clothes, and GET RID OF THE ONES YOU HAVE IN THE BOX. This is not to tempt fate or invite a jinx, but to reinforce the "never again" attitude.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm not letting myself buy any clothes that aren't heavily discounted. I guess it's lucky that I never gave away my old pants when they got too small. A belt is definitely a good investment for extending the wearable life of your pants.

I'm only having to buy new shirts, and I got a couple of nice ones, some plain T-shirts, and two cardigans (one gray, one black, for versatility), all $5-10 each in summer clearance sales. I treated myself to a new fall jacket, but even that was only $20. I don't really worry if they'll be too big pretty fast, because they didn't cost too much and I can give the nicer ones to my mother when that happens. The T-shirts will be relegated to pajamas once they become super baggy.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I bought new clothes at the thrift store after the first 20 pounds lost when I had to double-back my belt to make sure it wasn't sticking out too far. But, having lost another 25 in the couple months after that, it was frustrating to have to buy new clothes again so soon. Honestly, I would say buy new clothes when you feel you need them.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I deal with the public in my job and have to look somewhat "professional." When my work clothes got too big they looked "sloppy"? (can't think of a better word.) I replaced work clothes maybe every two sizes. Now casual, around the house clothes - you can get away with wearing the big ones longer. I actually enjoy clothes shopping now and have gotten rid of the two biggest sizes - I'm determined to never need those bigger sizes again!!!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Ive got boxes of clothes from every size from 12-24 (UK) so as I go down I will have some clothes to wear and will leave off buying anything new til I am down to goal weight (ish). Ive just moved down from 24 to 22 and have a pile of jeans in the corner I need to take to the clothing bank
  • erasure999
    erasure999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the excellent advice. I never thought about hitting the thrift shops and it makes total sense to go this route!