Mysteries of Calories

Options
My theory of weight loss so far has been, simply, calories in, calories out.

HOWEVER, I have gained a few pounds over the holidays - I've been watching my calories, but more of them have been used by things like chocolates and eggnog. I went over a few times, but not enough to gain 3 lbs (I think!).

My question is, has anyone else observed that upsetting the balance of fat/protein/sugar etc. can cause you to gain weight, even though calorie intake is (theoretically) the same?

I know there are theories about this (such as low carb, atkins, etc) , I just wondered if anyone had personally observed it happening within the span of a few days or a week.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    over the short term, your macro nutrient balance CAN upset your total weight. Things like waste, hydration levels, and muscle site energy storage (glycogen) are all contributors to your weight, and changing up the foods you eat can temporarily upset this balance, and can cause weight gains that are out of proportion to the amount of calories you eat. The good news is that this is almost alway temporary weight, and after a few days or weeks of eating healthy again, you'll probably drop those extra few lbs.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed this. Everybody is different. Everyone has different issues with food, including allergies and intolerances, that can cause weight gain, bloating, gas, and other issues that a lot of people don't like to talk about. :wink: Personally, I have to have a high carb plan or I can't lose body fat. I bloat up like a whale on a high protein or high fat plan. But if I eat mostly carbs I drop body fat easier. In training my clients and working with them on nutrition, I've see the opposite in others. They feel bloated from the higher carbs, etc. So by all means play with your percentages and find what is going to work for you.