MFP LADIES

Options
2»

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    They won't be the death of you of course. Why do you set yourself up for feeling so crappy about something so normal to most women? My mood can be in the basement and I can have cravings, but I do my best to distract myself in various ways. If there is pain, I might take ibuprofen, but otherwise the average reaction is slightly slowed down and sluggish; not actual hell, though. A period usually lasts 5-7 days; do you need to see your gynecologist?

ETA
    Brain fart, sorry. PMS, not period. Is your PMS extreme rather than normal? Anything beyond average is tricky to ask for advice on here, but I suggest you talk to your gyno about it in that case.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    As with the rest of this process, it's about portion control. Want chocolate? Fine, have a bar and leave it at that.

Know your limitations. If you buy a container of ice cream and know you're just going to eat it all in a day or two, that's not a good idea. Find something different like those fudgecicles mentioned or almond/coconut milk ice cream or just go to the corner store and get one novelty ice cream bar. I personally like the McD's cones - only 170 cal and pretty darn good. You can also get the chocolate dipped now for, I think only 270 cal, but don't try to eat them in the car. Messy! :)

And keep working out even if you don't feel like it. I tend to get really whiny but I still push through.

^^ This. I get really bad cravings too, so I feel you on that! But I know that I will probably want chocolate and so I leave some calories in my day for those. Like eat a salad or something low in calories for meals and I have enough calories left over usually for a chocolate ice cream sandwich or fries, whatever it is that I'm craving. If you go a little over, I wouldn't freak out about it, but like the above says, it's like everything else. Have your craving, but in moderation.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    For cravings, have some self-control, or plan treats in your day.

If it's cramps, it better be damn-near paralyzing to keep me from working out. If I push through it, I usually feel better post-workout anyway.

It's been happening once a month since you were a teenager. If you don't want periods, get on a BC that eliminates them. If you do want periods, figure out a way to deal with it.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just try not to keep anything that could be binge-worthy in the house. When I'm cramping, I can barely move let alone go somewhere to get chocolate or pizza. When I "prepare" for it, I end up eating crap because I go buy it knowing I'll want it. Take some ibuprofen and curl up in a ball until it goes away.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    1 - PMS tea is helpful - start drinking 10 days before you period is due to start
    2 - Eliminate dairy, grains and all sugar from your diet (at least during that 10 days before your period is due to start)

Change to Paleo - no cravings, ever
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant. Then you only have to deal with pregnancy cravings.

:laugh:

Seriously though, I just work them into my calorie goal. Cause if I don't give in, it's going to get ugly.
  • dcberlin10
    dcberlin10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Frozen mini york peppermint patties.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant. Then you only have to deal with pregnancy cravings.

:laugh:

Seriously though, I just work them into my calorie goal. Cause if I don't give in, it's going to get ugly.

:heart:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going up to maintenance level during TOM... I also give in (though aim to have moderation) because I'm seriously tired of thinking about food all the time when it rolls around.

Something I am trying to do is continue exercising (cardio) during it. I know that I can't run as fast or far when I have it, but I don't cramp or crave as much either. Getting out of the house to do it is a struggle, but I always feel better when I do.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping menopause will take care of it.

^^^ This
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually wind up eating more chocolate over all and I go hungry at night because I'm not adding to my day significantly.

But I'm confused when you say "the next couple of weeks"

I mean- it happens every month- if its a couple of weeks long process and you blow your diet off for that time frame- then you're not going to move very quickly.

I'm glad I'm not the only to notice that the OP said "WEEKS"

I feel like that'd be a reason to talk to a gyno if it's lasting weeks - pretty sure that's not good...

Sorry that I am different than you may be. I experience symptoms a week before, and my TOM is usually a week long. MEANING A COUPLE OF WEEKS. :)
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Plan for them!! I find "healthier" alternatives or eat what I crave but don't make it a habit. I satisfy that craving but stay within my goals for the day and continue on!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Keep your diet at 80/20. 80% "healthy" foods and 20% indulgent (sugar, salt). Make sure everything fits into your calories for the day. Don't deprive yourself (more likely to binge later) but don't go crazy (over your calorie allotment for the day), either.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I usually wind up eating more chocolate over all and I go hungry at night because I'm not adding to my day significantly.

But I'm confused when you say "the next couple of weeks"

I mean- it happens every month- if its a couple of weeks long process and you blow your diet off for that time frame- then you're not going to move very quickly.

I'm glad I'm not the only to notice that the OP said "WEEKS"

I feel like that'd be a reason to talk to a gyno if it's lasting weeks - pretty sure that's not good...

Sorry that I am different than you may be. I experience symptoms a week before, and my TOM is usually a week long. MEANING A COUPLE OF WEEKS. :)

I agree with OP here... (this will be TMI, but) I start getting cravings and a bloated/ugh feeling from the week before the flow actually starts.... and then it continues til the end (and it's a week for me too :sick:) I feel your pain :frown:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just make sure they fall into your caloric allowance.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Chocolate Slim fast helps me out.