Workout when sore?

Becky011
Becky011 Posts: 384
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
The last couple of days have been my first working out since late November. I was barely sore the first day, but after doing the 30 day shred and Groove n burn yesterday I am sooooo sore today.

History tells me I should push through it and work out anyway, but does anyone know the right answer? Not sure if I should take a day off or keep plugging away. Thoughts are appreciated :)

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    OK so, there's sore and there's hurt. If you're muscles ache and it takes longer to loosen up, but you can still perform after a bit, and the soreness eases up after you are going for a bit, that's normal for a new routine. But if you remain sore, or if it's actual pain, then I would lay off for a few days, or try some other routines that don't overtax that muscle group. No point in injuring yourself seriously.

Also note, if the routine involves resistance (I think the 30 day shred DOES include some light resistance) it may be a good idea to rest for a day (if they are sore), or perform straight cardio in between shred days, that will give your muscles time to recover, and reduce the amount of wear and tear on them.
  • xfitely
    xfitely Posts: 3 Member
    Workout anyway! Soreness is partially due to an accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles. By using those muscles (not necessarily in the same strenuous way) you are helping to work the lactic acid OUT of your muscles. You will feel better tomorrow!
  • If u feel the need to stay active, maybe just do a low impact gentle workout while those spent muscles recover a day or two. Just a thought
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    I worked through the soreness of the first 3 days of the 30 day shred and felt fantastic by day 4, but I don't really know if this is adviseable or not!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    i always wonder the same thing....i upped my incline on the treadmill yesterday and was feeling it 4-5 hours later! ouch. but i'll continue and see if i can work it out today.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Workout anyway! Soreness is partially due to an accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles. By using those muscles (not necessarily in the same strenuous way) you are helping to work the lactic acid OUT of your muscles. You will feel better tomorrow!
    Actually your information is incorrect. DOMS is not caused by lactic acid build up, but actually micro tears in the muscle structure and inflammation.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Do yoga or pilates! I always like to do it when my muscles are sore...it helps a little bit but still works your body!
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Push through it for sure. Just remember to alternate the muscle groups you are working so you recover adequately. I alternate leg days and arms days but do cardio at least 3-5 days a week
  • Do yoga or pilates! I always like to do it when my muscles are sore...it helps a little bit but still works your body!

I agree! Just dont push to much where it is uncomfortable for your body. Do what you can but do push yourself a little.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Just like everyone else has said, continue to workout. Just keep it low impact, and don't push too hard. By tomorrow you may still be a little sore, but you'll be able to go back to your normal routine. (Think of the end result!!)
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    You'll be less sore if you work the stiff muscles--unless you've injured yourself. That has been my experience over the years. You don't have to do a full workout, however. You could swim or walk or do something to loosen you up without really pushing it. I'm currently in a soreness cycle after having taken a month off of exercise. Now on day 5, I'm much less sore than I was on days 1, 2, and 3. But if you want a little reference, I found one for ya:

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-training/7-muscle-myths

Myth #4

Never exercise a sore muscle. Before you skip that workout, determine how sore you really are. "If your muscle is sore to the touch or the soreness limits your range of motion, it's best that you give the muscle at least another day of rest," says Alan Mikesky, Ph.D., director of the human performance and biomechanics laboratory at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. In less severe instances, an "active rest" involving light aerobic activity and stretching, and even light lifting, can help alleviate some of the soreness. "Light activity stimulates bloodflow through the muscles, which removes waste products to help in the repair process," says David Docherty, Ph.D., a professor of exercise science at the University of Victoria in Canada.

* The real expert says: If you're not sore to the touch and you have your full range of motion, go to the gym. Start with 10 minutes of cycling, then exercise the achy muscle by performing no more than three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions using a weight that's no heavier than 30 percent of your one-rep maximum, says Docherty.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Resistance training causes cellular damage (or as some call it microscopic tears) to the muscles. That damage has to repair in order to build strength in the muscles. If you work the same muscle group two days in a row, you don't give those muscles the repair time needed. At first you may be able to keep working out, but eventually you will feel like you just can't do as much. The reason is that you are just damaging the muscle and not repairing it. You will actually lose strength in the long run by working the same muscle groups daily. Jillian Michaels is bad about putting out total body resistance workouts and not allowing for rest days in her programs. But my thoughts on Jillian Michaels are completely off topic. :tongue: As was recommended earlier, alternate Shred or any other total body resistance training with straight cardio days. Or better yet divide your resistance training into muscle groups so you can do it daily. To start, alternating upper body days with lower body days is a good option. You can do cardio after resistance training to get the extra fat burning too. And don't forget to stretch!!!! Stretching is probably the best thing you can do with those sore muscles.

As for the lactic acid response, it is actually moved out of the muscles relatively quickly. If you do cardio after resistance training, then the lactic acid is converted to pyruvate to be used to start the Krebs Cycle for fat burning, so it really doesn't build up much at all.
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Thank you everyone for all of your input and responses! I pushed through it and I'm glad I did. :) It felt good to work the sore muscles while i was doing it but now i just need to find some good stretches to help my sore muscles, I'm still a little stiff.

Thanks again!
    Becky
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    bump!
  • xfitely
    xfitely Posts: 3 Member
    Interesting.
This discussion has been closed.