I'm looking for Apple shaped humans

Apple shaped individuals.Planks are just killing me. I am struggling with them. I can hold it for 15 seconds before feeling the need to collapse in a shameful heap and sob in a foetal position. What other less strenuous activity that can I employ to whittle down the waist. I need to stave off Type 2 diabetes.

Those with photos of successes would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I've been planking daily for a while now and still can't hold a minute. You have to keep going and not just give up.

Stomach crunches and sit ups, obviously. Six inches.

When I'm in the water, I can do weird and wacky things with my muscles that I could never do out of the water, so I think I get a lot of benefit there. But if you don't have your own pool, you'd have to get comfortable doing those things in public.

I can stretch and tone in the water much better than I ever could out of it, so I vote for swimming.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Keep at it. Pilates (planks, etc) totally worth it. My waist is becoming more and more defined (not just due to fat loss, but genuine muscle development). If you're worried about Type 2 diabetes, it's all about fat loss and a healthier diet, though.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I'm the wrong fruit for this, but my suggestion would be to try and work in a more well-rounded fitness regime. The best thing for waist-whittling is just consistent calorie deficit created through diet and exercise.

Planks alone are a great exercise, but don't do much in the way of calorie burning.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    I'm not sure what apples have to do with it, but if you want to get better at planks then keep trying.
    If you are looking to "slim your waist" just eat at a calorie deficit and incorporate some compound lifts or overall strength training. Unfortunately your waist is one of the last places to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • pizza_fiend
    pizza_fiend Posts: 3 Member
    I have a round stomach, I'm not sure if I'm an apple shape or not (I guess right now I am, lul) but.
    It took me about a month of consistent planking to achieve doing it for 1 minute straight.
    I use Nike + Training Club app, where there are workouts where you'll plank anywhere from 1 - 3 times per workout.
    I use it twice a week, so I would say that it's really possible.
    It also helps when you strength train.
    I have weak arms, but with lifting weights I find that I have the actual strength to hold up my massive body weight. rololol.
    c: Good luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I tend toward the apple.

I'm finding that pilates makes more difference than anything I'd tried before in improving my middle, and plus I don't hate it like I usually do core exercises, because there's such a variety of different exercises. I think it's helping my other exercise.

But for the risks of being an apple, fat loss is all that helps.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Apple shaped individuals.Planks are just killing me. I am struggling with them. I can hold it for 15 seconds before feeling the need to collapse in a shameful heap and sob in a foetal position. What other less strenuous activity that can I employ to whittle down the waist. I need to stave off Type 2 diabetes.

Those with photos of successes would be greatly appreciated.

I am "curvy" especially in the boobs holy cow its hard to do push ups and planks i feel like gravity is against me. I LOVE LOVE yoga and some of the moves my boobs get in the way of and i have to like adjust them ANGRILY yell at them manipulate them off to the side so try to get my pose right. Then i remember that i am in the gym and a few people are snickering at me. Ohh the troubles of big breasted/apple woman.
  • annar298
    annar298 Posts: 66 Member
    I have heard planks are good for apple shapes but what does it do? Sorry new to exercise just been doing little cardio and strength training.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Planks just strengthen your core. If you're looking to "whittle" down your waist you need to reduce fat. Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat, it will come off where it wants. I would suggest a cardio and strength training regime.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Try strength training. Compound moves will strengthen your core as well as all kinds of other muscles. When I first started strength training I couldn't hold a plank for 12 seconds. Now I can hold a plank for 1 minute and I know its because of strength training because I don't plank every day or even every week.

I seriously believe in the power of weight lifting to lose inches and increase your core strength.

My avatar is my before and after picture taken today.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I do all-over body training and everything is getting stronger and smaller. :smile:

patience is the key. when I do planks for an extended time in pilates, I come up with my BEST cuss words. :wink:

"it doesn't get easier, you get better."