10k run... OMG don't know if I can do it!!!

Options
I just recently registered for my very first 10k run at the end of Oct. I'm on week three of Hal Higdon's 10k training plan, and I'm nervous, lol. I can now run 5k straight, slow but I can do it. I just can't see the jump from 3-6 miles in a month!!!

73529108.png

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I just recently registered for my very first 10k run at the end of Oct. I'm on week three of Hal Higdon's 10k training plan, and I'm nervous, lol. I can now run 5k straight, slow but I can do it. I just can't see the jump from 3-6 miles in a month!!!

73529108.png

Yes you can. Especially if you're already running 5k straight now. You've got this.
  • ynnad90
    Options
    In April , I was running 5km , now I run 25k . Everything is possible if you put time and effort. You can certainly do it . Just take your time and start slow. No rush!
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    Options
    don't think of the whole number 10...coz that can be very overwhelming.
    just think you've already got 5km in the bag....gently and slowly you can bag the other 5km...even if you must do them slower than the 1st 5..
    I've just (in last 2weeks) started on The Active 5K to 10K... it's better than I feared actually...

Day at a time, step at a time
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    Options
    In April , I was running 5km , now I run 25k . Everything is possible if you put time and effort. You can certainly do it . Just take your time and start slow. No rush!

go you!
  • Helenad4
    Options
    Keep in mind the first 2k of a 10k is incredibly slow because you have so many people at the start. After the first 2 k the crowd start to disperse and you'll find your comfort zone, the crowd always keep you motivated. Being able to run 5k now is brilliant regardless of how quick you move, you're doing it for you don't compete with others. You'll do great!
  • Ruedora
    Ruedora Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job! Running a 10k is awesome. When you are finished you will feel a huge sense of pride and accomplishment (as you should!).
    Second of all, savour it, because you only get to run your first 10k once! This means that no matter what your time is, it will be a personal best!
    Third, you have already built up the stamina and strength to run 5k straight. If you slowed your pace from your average 5k time, you could likely run 10k tomorrow if you wanted to (I dont advise that though since you dont want an injury).
    And finally, myself and many other runners will tell you that the jump from 5k to 10k distance is not nearly as challenging at the training you just finished (getting from 0-5k). You have already shown that you are committed to this so try to be confident, stick to the plan and you will have no problem finishing that 10k! Way to go!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yes you can. Especially if you're already running 5k straight now. You've got this.
    Thanks!
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options

go you!
    Inspiring!
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    don't think of the whole number 10...coz that can be very overwhelming.
    just think you've already got 5km in the bag....gently and slowly you can bag the other 5km...even if you must do them slower than the 1st 5..
    I've just (in last 2weeks) started on The Active 5K to 10K... it's better than I feared actually...

Day at a time, step at a time

I think you're right, I'm thinking only as needing to DOUBLE my distance, lol. I need to stop that and just go day by day.
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    0-5k was so hard for me, I was totally Couch to 5k. I struggled so much to run 30 seconds without dying, burning painful legs, struggling to breathe. I do have to remember where I am now. It's comforting to hear that it won't be as hard.
    I've really come to love running. :happy:
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree you can totally do it. Increase your distance by 1/2 mile/0.8KM each week between now and then and you've got it. Consider your race just another training run :)

Don't over-think it.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You will be able to do this easier than you think. When I first started running three years ago, I had no clue what I was doing. I ran my first 5k less than 3 months after starting to run, then three weeks later went out and ran ten miles, then a month later ran a half marathon, and then did my first 10k on a trail. My point: I was clueless, I didn't over-think it and I just ran because I was having fun with it. It wasn't until later when I started reading running magazines and talking to other runners that I realized there was a more organized way to approach these things. I have tried incorporating some of it, but mostly I just like to run as much as I can and sign up for really long races for the sheer fun and joy of it.
  • 505_runnergirl
    505_runnergirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That was my same thought for my first 10k..that was one year ago in May. Since then I have run 4 half marathons.. Just run. Mind of matter.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Follow your plan and you'll be fine. I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's training plans. Right now I am in week 8 of my half marathon plan.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's 10k plan for my first 10k race. It's a great plan to follow.

You can do this.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You can do it just stay positive. I do the run walk thing and finished my last 10k in 56:35.

Good Luck

29509743.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine... i'm training for a 10k in november and i'm not a runner... decided to see what happened if i tried running 8k.... it was fine...

your body can do it, its your head that says no!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can do it- you just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Don't over think it- you're literally already half way there.

There is no right or wrong when you enter a race- you just start and then come out the other side. :) You can totally do it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Have you run any races before? Someone made a good point that the first 1-2k tends to go slow as the crowd thins. I'll give you a piece of advice that can be hard to follow - go with the flow, stay slow, don't try to get a head of the crowd. I've done this in two races where I ran with other folks and got so worn out going faster than my usual pace, I had a hard time finishing and had to tell my friends to go on without me. And that was only a 5k!

Also, as someone else said, with running, as you may have noticed, a lot of it is mental. It's so easy to get negative thoughts in your head and want to quit. Shut them out!! Listen to motivating music, think of positive mantras, etc. You can do it!