Repost - Not losing weight on birth control?

Options
I've been eating reasonably well and working out since march this year and in May I lost 4-5kg, since then I haven't lost any weight and gained back 3kg.
I was on depo but recently I switched to a pill, maybe nova? Can't remember the exact name
But even if I do count calories or I don't I'm just not losing any weight
I'm pushing myself in the gym and working insanely hard but I'm just not losing any weight
Any ideas?

Replies

• cindy26ae
    cindy26ae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I've been exercising and watching my diet for probably a month or better and I haven't lost any weight either. The few times that I have weighed myself I actually gained a pound, not that that's much. However, those pounds I know are from muscle gain, and I have lost inches so I know that good things are happening. Have you tried measuring yourself maybe your body is replacing fat with muscle therefore your weight really isn't shifting. Also for myself I do know that birth control can affect weight loss and gain bc I have been through it myself. I had Implanon inserted and gained like 15 pounds, it took two years naturally for that weight to come off. Anyway this is my perspective, and hopefully for you your body just needs a little more time to adjust to hormones and your fitness routine before showing results. And make sure to measure yourself a well if you aren't already, that might put more motivation in your mind. Good luck!
  • cstroh13
    Options
    I know how you feel, I've been exercising and watching my diet for probably a month or better and I haven't lost any weight either. The few times that I have weighed myself I actually gained a pound, not that that's much. However, those pounds I know are from muscle gain, and I have lost inches so I know that good things are happening. Have you tried measuring yourself maybe your body is replacing fat with muscle therefore your weight really isn't shifting. Also for myself I do know that birth control can affect weight loss and gain bc I have been through it myself. I had Implanon inserted and gained like 15 pounds, it took two years naturally for that weight to come off. Anyway this is my perspective, and hopefully for you your body just needs a little more time to adjust to hormones and your fitness routine before showing results. And make sure to measure yourself a well if you aren't already, that might put more motivation in your mind. Good luck!

Implanon birth control is the same as nexplanon right? I have the 3 yr. nexplanon rod in my arm. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am hoping my birth control doesn't affect my weightloss and I'm able to loss weight.
  • FemWeight
    Options
    I've been on the pill for over 10 years mind you've had to switch brands but as the nurses always say expect to gain weight on the pill. Sadly we have the choice of prevention with weight gain or babies.. Nothing against babies of course I just don't currently want any. Just keep pushing and you will push through :)
  • cindy26ae
    Options

Implanon birth control is the same as nexplanon right? I have the 3 yr. nexplanon rod in my arm. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am hoping my birth control doesnt affect my weightloss and I'm able to loss weight.

Yeah its basically the same, I think I got mine just before it switched names. I did try exercising at the beginning when I had it but I got discouraged and kind of busy ( lame excuse I know) so I can't say I wouldn't have lost the weight sooner. I do know from previous attempt at exercising before that though that I did lose weight easily, so it definitely would have been harder for me on the implanon. Everyone is different, and depending on how long you've had it in, I'm sure will make a difference as well.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hormonal changes can affect your weight, that's for sure.

But all it means is you need to find your new maintenance or deficit calories based on your new hormones.

I'm in my mid-fourties and am making a big adjustment right now. The bleak and dreary truth is that I can't eat as much as I could before I hit peri-menopause.

Chances are your pills have affected your metabolism and you need to adjust (or try a new pill -- but that's easier said than done sometimes). Bummer, I know, but there's no point in fighting it. You'll settle in to your new 'calorie normal' and be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for over 10 years mind you've had to switch brands but as the nurses always say expect to gain weight on the pill. Sadly we have the choice of prevention with weight gain or babies.. Nothing against babies of course I just don't currently want any. Just keep pushing and you will push through :)
    Well there IS abstinence....:tongue:
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am a hippy i do not put any type of hormone in my body, or foreign object man made by a doctor. To many woman die from blood clots or get lost in the side effects. I used condoms and the natural planning calender idea together for a long time with a lot of success. My husband got a vasectomy so i don't have to worry about it anymore but ew i always hated the idea of something in my body.
  • cindy26ae
    Options
    I absolutely hate birth control as well, side effects are awful for me, wish I could forgo forever. Although I am aware of my ovulation cycles I'm not confident enough to rely on that...nor do I want to tell my man to get snipped lol. It's a sad world for us women.
  • WooBear86
    WooBear86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control for man many years now, Yasmin and then recently I have taken Zarah (The generic form of Yasmin), but birth control pills have made me lactose intolerant. I had no idea they put lactose into birth control pills. They don't agree well wit my stomach. I was thinking about going hormone free and trying the femcap(Smaller version of diaphragm) with this vegan contraceptive gel(instead of spermicide with chemicals). It is latex free, hormone free, and your bf/husband doesn't feel it during sex. You can keep it in for up to 48 hours, it's reusable and is $80-$120. You just wash it after use. Has anyone had this? I feel like my body has an overload of fake hormones and it is time to go natural. I know for a fact it has affected weigh loss some what, I did lose a lot of weight but during that period of time I wasn't on birth control because I was single. Please share your experiences of Femcap. Thanks,
  • brittanyoneill37
    brittanyoneill37 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's no proof that birth control affects weight at all did they not tell you that when you got it?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm on the mini-pill, and haven't noticed any weight-related side effects. I am netting 1620 cals a day and losing about 1lb per week as expected for the past month, plus and minus water weight fluctuations.

Don't give up though - just keep tinkering with your calories until you find your deficit!
  • shexy16
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs. taking bc pills the entire time. I think some bc pills can cause water retention, or increase appetite, but I don't think the pill itself actually causes weight gain.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been eating reasonably well

If you aren't already, maybe do some careful logging for awhile and make sure you are consistently eating at a deficit.
  • TheTeeniestPnut
    Options
    I had the same problem a few months ago, I was doing well in the gym and still wasn`t losing weight until a friend of mine mentioned that I should be taking measurements instead of relying on the scale. Turns out what I was losing in fat I was replacing with muscle, I had been getting thinner the whole time (slowly mind you) but still. Could this be a possibility for you as well?
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when was on bc. When I got off the weight started melting off
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This link says they’ve found no direct link between using hormonal birth control and gaining weight: http://bedsider.org/features/328

The details are in place but I don't know that I believe it. I personally stopped using bc because stress took over my body and I lost almost 40 pounds in a little over 2 months. There was nothing wrong with me as my doctor made me get a blood test; the stress just took over. I cleared my system of all things I was taking and didn't want to go back on bc because 1) I wasn't active anyway and 2) There are so many things happening to women these days that are taking bc that it makes me worry about what they're saying is safe to put in my body.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hormonal changes can affect your weight, that's for sure.

But all it means is you need to find your new maintenance or deficit calories based on your new hormones.

^^^ This
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I'm on depo and ive been loosing a bit. I probably won't renew my shot though. My son will be 9 months when it runs out and we will just be going back to condoms.

I'm not a fan of birth control I just really didn't want back to back pregnancies.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Yup all birth control has weight gain as a possible side effect, so maybe you're having that and managing to hold off the gain and ending up staying level. You could just ask your doctor about it.

EDIT: Just took a look at the last week in your diary. You're not consistently logging. Your days show anywhere between 500 calories days to days where you're going 300 calories over. More likely it's actually related to you eating more than you think... My suggestion is to hammer that down for the next month and see where that gets you.