shin splints

Options
My daughter in law and I have been going out jogging(or in our case somewhat jogging). My daughter in law has been experiencing shin splints when we are jogging.. When my daughter in law was in school her gym teacher made the class jog for 4 minutes the very first time during class. He did this everytime she had gym class he made the class run for 30 minutes straight or they failed the class.She started to be in pain and ended up going to the doctors. Her doctor said that she has shin splints and to wear shin guard sleeves when jogging. She stopped jogging for about 5 yrs. We started jogging about 4 months ago and she wears the shin guard sleeves but she is have pain.BTW we don't jog everyday. Is there any thing that we can do so she is not going to be in pain?

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    When you have shin splints you should rest your legs and ice your shins, but the best way to prevent them is to strengthen them by progressively spending more time walking, jogging, running in good shoes. Hip exercises help, too. And stretch before and after.
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll make sure that I tell her this
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,870 Member
    Options
    Those are all great things to do. I also get them. Had to really work up to getting ready for the academy run. They HURT! Also tell her to tap her toes, at different angles, also helps. And more icing. Good luck.

Shelley
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Watch this video on shin splints by a doctor who's also a runner:

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away
  • Fraidycat10
    Options
    I had pretty bad shin splints a few years ago, from starting my Athletics training too heavily too quickly, and at the time, my Osteopath recommended that I got a pair of runners that properly supported my feet in the way that I walk. (I basically had my walking style analysed and then was matched with a pair of shoes to counteract any negative walking habits) She also recommended that I try taping my shins for running to get some additional support.
    I personally found that the new shoes worked really well and within a few weeks, my shin splints were at a more manageable pain level. I also found that by taping my shins for extra support while running, it helped to reduce any inflammation that I had after I finished running.
    Another thing that I found useful in the treatment of my shin splints was stretching out my calves, hamstrings, quads and when possible rolling out my ITB and the soles of my feet. I also found that loosening off my tibialis anterior helped to relieve some of the tension. I think that if you can really stretch out the muscles in your legs and your feet, it can relieve quite a bit of the tension in your legs.
    I hope some of that helps.
  • jmattmacd
    jmattmacd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I get them pretty badly. I have done the running gait analysis, stretching and strengthening exercises, neoprene sleeves and the rest but I think I'm just cursed. I have altered my routine so that every other run I replace with the same time on the rowing machine (bleurgh) which has helped, every time they get bad I just stop running for a week or so and row/cycle. Recently I got a pair of therapearl shin...things...which I keep in the freezer and put one on for 30 mins (I only get it bad on the left) after each workout (even rowing/cycling when it doesnt tactually hurt) which seems to really help, although a bag of peas would probably do the same.
  • AvaBrown23
    Options
    read these advices: http://stopshinsplints.america-healthy.com/ :drinker:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The reason I never ran when I was younger was because I ALWAYS got a nasty case of shin splints that would get so unbearable I had to give up running each time.

When I began considering running this time (I'm 42 now), I had two concerns, a past knee injury and if my knees would act up, and my past experiences with shin splints.

I was told by someone when I mentioned I would like to run that I MUST go and get some shoes FIT TO ME, as in go to an expert who will look at the shoes you have been wearing to analyze your wear pattern, and then analyze your gait, and determine the best sort of shoe for you based on how you run and what stress points you place on your feet, ankles, legs, etc.

I did that, got me some nice shoes (not cheap, mind you, but they last a LOT longer than regular shoes), and I have not had any problems AT ALL with shin splints. I have had a couple knee-aches due to pushing myself too hard, but I have learned how to better listen to my body. Sometimes your body is being serious when it tells you it wants to stop, and no amount of willpower ordering yourself to "soldier on" is going to prevent you from injuring yourself. So be mindful of that, naturally.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I've heard a number of people here on MFP even recommend new shoes for others who have complained of shin splints. I think there may be something to that. Like I said, I ALWAYS got shin splints before. Have not this time, and I am running more now than I ever have in my entire life.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do toe raises when I get shin splits from jump rope. It is a boxer trick.