Dairy free meals

PinkPanther318
PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
Hi everyone,

I am doing a trial run with being dairy free for a while to see if it relieves me of my pain. I am under a doctor's supervision and have his support on this. I am just wondering if anyone has some dairy free recipes? Thanks

Replies

• missmudy
    missmudy Posts: 2 Member
    Not a recipe per se, but if you're really missing cheese I'd recommend recipes containing nutritional yeast or cashew 'cheese' (it's a raw foody thing but quite delicious.) It's not for everyone, but I really like raw lasagna made with zucchini or other vegetables instead of noodles. There are hundreds of recipes for it online and I haven't found a bad one yet, though I usually just freestyle it.

For a dairy free treat, try freezing bananas then blending them to make a kind of ice cream. My boyfriend is lactose intolerant but addicted to ice cream. He won't eat most non-dairy ice creams but he loves the banana stuff.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Hi everyone,

I am doing a trial run with being dairy free for a while to see if it relieves me of my pain. I am under a doctor's supervision and have his support on this. I am just wondering if anyone has some dairy free recipes? Thanks

Everything on ppk.com is dairy free.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    What types of things do you often cook that requires dairy in it? There are often easy substitutions. Unsweetened coconut milk is nice for baking and I prefer Earth Balance margarine.

I second the banana swirl recommendation. I can eat ice cream but will freeze bananas whenever they start to get too ripe and it's an awesome treat.

Here's a dairy free lasagna recipe that I make when we're cooking for vegans:

Ingredients:

2 26-oz jars of spaghetti sauce
    9 lasagna noodles

Filling:
        3 cups of chopped spinach
        1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
        10-12 oz jar or can of artichoke hearts (drain well)
        2-3 cloves chopped garlic

1 lb firm tofu, drained well
        1 tsp salt
        1 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp sugar (optional)
        1/2 tsp garlic powder
        1/2 tsp. rosemary, crushed
        1 tbs basil
        1 1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 cup spiced bread crumbs or crushed croutons (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cook noodles as directed.Drain the pan, rinse with cool water, and set the noodles aside.

Mix mushrooms, artichokes, and drained spinach into blended tofu. Add spices and sugar. Stir well.

Spread 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of your pan. Place three noodles over the sauce, leaving a little space between them. Spread half of the tofu mixture on the noodles (scoop and spread with a spoon). Repeat layers.

Place the last layer of noodles and pour remaining sauce over it. Top with spiced bread crumbs.

Cover the dish tightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    There's a million options for stir fry depending on what veggies you have around. What about different rice or couscous salads with veggies and dressings added in? What kinds of foods do you typically like to eat? If you google Paleo recipes you can find a ton of good ones, since Paleo doesn't include dairy. I love soups/stews. One of my favorites is from the Civilized Caveman - Pumpkin Chili.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    We eat a lot of dairy-free meals and my wife has come up with some great ones. We generally swap milk out 1:1 with almond milk, use vegan margarine, and coconut milk for baking. But she does this one vegan Indian "butter" "chicken" dish that is amaaaaaazing and has no meat or dairy in it. You can find it on her blog: http://aislingoftea.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/butter-cauliflower-its-not-what-it-sounds-like/