extra calories at the end of the day

Options
If you get to the end of the day and find that you are 200-300+ calories short, do you try and eat something else or just accept the fact that you are not hungry and carry on. I am trying to limit myself to 1200 a day, I have about 35 kg to lose.
Sometimes I'm just not hungry enough to eat, Surely your body doesn't go into starvation mode after just a few days?
Don't want to sabotage myself!

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. Besides, some days I'll end up going over in the week so it evens out. I was under for several days and today I went over by 700 calories, but over the week I'm actually under by 100 for the whole week. So to me, it all evens out. I like to listen to my body while keeping a cautious eye that I don't go over for the week.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me, if I'm not hungry, don't eat; if i am, eat, no matter what my calories say, just make sure I'm smart about it. Makes sense to me, and I've been sticking with it.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    You're first statement in your intro is that you are a yo yo dieter. This tells me you start aggressively and tend to fall off. May I suggest taking a more moderate approach this time around. Use the cals for a treat you will enjoy. Being 2-300 cals under 1200cals is an extreme deficit and one that is difficult and dangerous to sustain.
  • njax99
    njax99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess that's my issue, I am writing everything down and most days am around 1200, just some, I'm not! The difference is that I'm not trying to be at a deficit, I'm just not hungry!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode has been proven to be a myth anyway, you're fine :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I guess that's my issue, I am writing everything down and most days am around 1200, just some, I'm not! The difference is that I'm not trying to be at a deficit, I'm just not hungry!
    Try going by a weekly total. That way if there are days you are more hungry and ones you are less they balance out.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I weigh the ups and downs of eating extra at the end of the day if that happens. Will (item being considered) keep me up all night? Will I have to work out a few minutes to make up for any "overs"? Will I feel full, or just want more? Am I ready to pop/barf right now?

If it keeps me from going to bed RIGHT THEN, though, bed wins. My job is too demanding to end up slacking all day because of a late night snack.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just due to life and running I find myself quite short at the end of the day. If I've just (finally) eaten and am not hungry I just call it a day and go to bed. If it's earlier or I still want a little nosh... well then at the very bottom of my freezer is a delicious cheesecake I bought last Feb. I dig that puppy out and have it come to mama!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I had 160 calories left for the day. I just finished a can of pineapples: 120 calories. I'm right where I should be for the day.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that sticking to 1200 calories a day, and losing 30 pounds in the process results in a massive hunger attack about 9 months down the road that does not end until I have gained it all back. Starting over, but this time, I am following the MFP process, which sets my daily calories at 1350, plus eating my exercise calories. I am hoping that this new strategy will help keep the weight off after I lose it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, I do not. I'm several hundred under today. If I get really hungry (which I doubt, as it was a big dinner), I'll have something. If not, I won't.

I have overeating and under eating days. It works for me. :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    A serving of peanut butter usually does the trick, but personally I don't buy the mantra of not being hungry when you have consumed so few calories. If that's the case you are either eating more than you think or you're lying to yourself.

Rigger
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I'll eat a bit (up to leaving about 100 calories). Today, though, I left about 250 because of an extra-high step count at my job (didn't get home until 7 and had dinner ready to log) and to make up for going over yesterday.
  • justcindy59
    justcindy59 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've been worried about this too. I....who has eaten thousands of calories every day for months and months now find that I can eat 1200 calories and be satisfied . I can't believe that I have no cravings. But from all the reading on hear I know that I have got to increase my intake but it scares me. I don't want to eat more when I'm not hungry so I have got to work on eating more food at meal times.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If i know I'm going to be short, I plan for extra calories at dinner. I NEED to eat my calorie recommendation (2,000- made this recommendation for myself) because I have binge eating tendencies.. if I go lower one day, then that leads me to think "oh, well I went lower yesterday so let me see if I can go even lower again today.." until I'm not eating enough and end up binge eating later. When I eat the 2,000 calories that my body needs everyday, I feel satisfied, happy, and never feel like binging.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A serving of peanut butter usually does the trick, but personally I don't buy the mantra of not being hungry when you have consumed so few calories. If that's the case you are either eating more than you think or you're lying to yourself.

Rigger

I completely agree. 1200 calories is ridiculously low.... did you know you are eating the recommendation for a 4-8 year old? An adult can not survive off that. If you're not hungry at the end of the day, eat more during the day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If your caloric allowance is only 1200 then YES, you should eat something. You want to find sustainability, which you won't do if you're starving yourself to lose weight. Try peanut butter or a protein bar.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I Found my self 120 cal under 1200 last night after dinner.
    I am strict on my self and make sure i at least eat my Minimum.
    So i ended up adding 80 more Cal by eating Pears. I figured I was low on fiber for the day, so pear would be a good healthy treat that would increase my fiber.
  • casusbubble
    Options
    Weight Loss Doesn't Have To Be Difficult

Often, when people start their new weight loss program, they have a lot of drive to stick with it. But after a while, people give up because their dream seems too far away. Some people can lose weight and manage to keep the weight off. How do they do it? One wonders if there is a secret to this amazing accomplishment. Read this article to find out what it is!

Before you go somewhere, you need to know where you are going. The same is true for your weight loss journey. Do you want to get into a much smaller size, or do you simply want to slim down a little and feel better about yourself? Are you hoping that working out will leave you feeling energized throughout the day? What is it that you wish to accomplish?

Consider starting a weight loss diary. It is easy; all you have to do is log everything you consume in a day and also jot down the weight you lose. As you keep your food diary, use it to compare your weight loss to your diet. Make whatever adjustments you need to stay on track.

If you are blinded by hunger, then you won't be as conscientious about your food choices. Avert disaster and temptation by carrying a healthy snack bar with you at all times. You can avoid eating out by packing your own lunch. When you prepare your own lunch, you can regulate your calorie intake and save yourself from ordering high-calorie restaurant meals. When you pack snacks or lunch, you protect both your wallet and your waistline.

You need to eat good foods and exercise regularly in order to successfully lose weight. Some people have a harder time incorporating an exercise routine into their lives than a healthy eating plan. Making your workout easier is simple. Try finding physical activities that interest you or exercising with friends. For the best chance of success, choose an appealing exercise activity that you can engage in with a friend. This can include anything from jogging to yoga.

In order to prevent yourself from consuming bad food items, you should aim to eliminate them from your home. If it's not there, you can't be tempted. Fill your kitchen with healthy snacks instead. There are plenty of healthy alternatives in the food market. Do not buy foods you know you will overindulge in. By making these types of food extremely inconvenient to snack on the less chance you have of breaking down and eating them.

Having other people around you that can help support you, and help keep you motivated, is a valuable asset when it comes to losing weight. Even when you are at the end of your rope, your friends can cheer you on and help you stay on track. Call on a friend when you need some motivation and it will help you reach your goals. <a href="http://www.thevenusfactoreviews.com/">venus factor reviews</a>
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love food.

So if I'm 200 calories under for the day, I will definitely use those calories. Having spare calories left over doesn't happen to me very often to be honest.

Not because I'm fixated on the magic number MFP has given me to eat (currently 1,520 calories) and am worried things will go wrong if I only eat 1,320. Just because if I have the opportunity to eat things I enjoy whilst still meeting my goals and losing weight, I will.