Feeling Deflated

Options
I've been staying under calories, exercising(both cardio and strength), taking multivitamins, I'm at day 11 and nothing is happening on the scales, its getting me down. I've been trying to stay positive though. Did this happen to anyone else? Why wont the scale go down?

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? Might not be truely eating at a deficit. Also are you drinking enough water? Could have some addited water weight. Have you taken measurments? The scale sometimes doesnt change but the inches do. Some weeks I don't see a change on the scale but my waist line is smaller, or my thighs, etc.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Opening your diary and providing your stats will help people give you meaningful answers.
  • gbklvr
    gbklvr Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you and it's frustrating, not sure why it happens. In the past I loose inches before weight. Maybe find another form of measure so you see your progress until the scale gets word!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Some times it does not go as well. In my 100lbs lost journey weeks would go by with no results. Just keep plugging away at it. Maybe try mixing up your workouts.

29509743.png[/url
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary will help ...it could be sodium intake
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? Might not be truely eating at a deficit. Also are you drinking enough water? Could have some addited water weight. Have you taken measurments? The scale sometimes doesnt change but the inches do. Some weeks I don't see a change on the scale but my waist line is smaller, or my thighs, etc.

Yes been weighing my food, will try drinking more water, but I have been drinking more than I usually would. Haven't taken any measurements as I don't have a measuring tape. Might have to get one though :)
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Opening your diary and providing your stats will help people give you meaningful answers.

My diary is open, but must just be to my friends.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ALSO...remember to drink lots of water throughout the day...8 to 10 glasses is good..it helps flush out the toxins....at least it helps me lose a little bit more weight when I stick to that!
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Some times it does not go as well. In my 100lbs lost journey weeks would go by with no results. Just keep plugging away at it. Maybe try mixing up your workouts.

29509743.png[/url

Thanks, I will keep plugging away, I have been doing different workouts, treadmill, zumba, home gym etc
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're doing, but when I was on a 1200 cal/day diet, I didn't lose any weight. I bumped it to 1450 cal/day and I started dropping weight. Maybe you could change up the diet/exercise and see what happens?
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    ALSO...remember to drink lots of water throughout the day...8 to 10 glasses is good..it helps flush out the toxins....at least it helps me lose a little bit more weight when I stick to that!

Ok thanks will definitely up my water!
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Thanks Glowiie, might try that!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without specifics but stay focused, keep tracking and if you think your calories are too high or too low play with the amounts and also what you are eating. Focus on quality and change up your fitness routine to see if that helps. If you can see a trainer or a nutritionist that may help kick start you.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's only been 11 days. Yes, on average people lose a pound a week (or whatever) at a certain deficit, but sometimes it takes a little longer to get the ball rolling. Also, if you've recently stepped up your exercise a lot, that can cause water retention in your muscles. It'll pass, but it can be awfully frustrating, because the things you're doing to help you lose will temporarily hide what you're losing.
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Thank you, I have stepped up my exercise so maybe that's it!
  • TimTimTimma
    Options
    Make sure you are not over doing the deficit. I know it sounds backwards, but you have to eat to lose weight. At MOST your deficit should be no more than 500 under your BMR, and thats only if it's at least 1,700+ for woman and 1,900+ for men. Make sure you're eating 4-5 times a day. If your calories are any lower (or you're eating far to infrequently) you risk stunting your metabolism. Your body needs calories to work to burn off calories, and if you go to long without eating, you're basically telling your body food is hard to come by and it will act accordingly, causing your body to start hoarding calories when you do finally eat.
  • beautifuldisasta
    Options
    Thanks Tim! I think I will up my calories for a bit and see if that helps xoxo
  • jkterrell
    jkterrell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me - I seem to lose weight all at once. I won't see the scale move for weeks and then all of the sudden I am down 5 to 8 pounds - always seems to average 1 to 2 pounds. Also, as someone else said, I lose inches before weight. Every time. After my kids, I plugged away for 6 months before I saw any results on the scale and then I dropped 30 pounds in about 4 or 5 months to where I am now (I was quite large when I delivered my twins:-)). One time in my early 20s, I dropped 15 pounds in one month but that was after working out hard core for two months. Also, it will never show on the scale after a hardcore workout day - seems to show up after a rest day. At any rate, I know exactly how you feel and it can be sooo deflating! But we just have to keep our heads down and plug, plug, plug away! We are getting healthier (and tighter) even if we aren't getting skinnier just yet!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You're on Day 11 and disappointed at no visible results?? Get used to it. Sorry to tell the truth, but your profile says you're in your 30s. I'm disappointed in my results lately too, but the reality is that my body needs about 6 weeks before I have ANYTHING to show for my hard work, dedication, commitment, (blah, blah, blah...) Yep. That's life at 46. Remind yourself that if this is truly a lifestyle change, then Day 11 is really no different than Day 111. It is disappointing, but when we grow up, we realize that we don't rely on that quick gratification, but rather patience :flowerforyou:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The only people who lose weight quickly are the super obese, or those that are accustomed to eating 4 to 7 calories a day and are put on a calorie reduction of less than 1500. Even they start to slow down as they continue to lose weight.

If you only have 20 to 30 pounds to lose or less it's going to come off slow because your prior calorie consumption is close to what your MFP calorie goal is per day.

I've had to learn to be happy with a 1/2 pound to even a 1/4 pound loss per week. If you're doing everything right, don't worry, just stick with it and the scale will start to move. But learn to be patient.