How bad are 1000 cal deficits, really?

Options
I've been running a 1000 calorie deficit for a month and a half now and overall I feel great and have more energy than I ever have! I am only consuming 1600 calories a day, and generally take in 100g of protein, 54g fat, and around 130-150g of carbs.

I keep reading that people are referring to 1000 cal deficits as "starving yourself", but truthfully I just don't understand it. Are these people not eating enough protein?

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I feel like **** in a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get some popcorn cooked. The replies on this one are going to be great and I've got a front row seat
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    1000 calorie deficit is 2 pounds per week. It depends how much you weigh. You only have 20 pounds to lose so let us know how much if any muscle is lost with this deficit?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your height/weight? A 1000 calorie deficit is fine if you have 75+ pounds to lose. After that, you run the risk of losing muscle mass along with fat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem. There are some links in my profile to studies and articles on it. I don't have issues with it, when I've done it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If your doctor okays it and you feel healthy and strong, there is no reason to eat more than 1600 calories a day.

Everyone is different. You have to do what works for you! :)

Is this deficit a TDEE thing? I don't even know what my TDEE is, so IMO, it's not that important. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If your doctor okays it and you feel healthy and strong, there is no reason to eat more than 1600 calories a day.

Is this deficit a TDEE thing? I don't even know what my TDEE is, so IMO, it's not that important. :)

Not everyone needs a doctor. TDEE is important to know.
  • MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to run a 500 calorie deficit @1800 daily, and often hit only 1400-1500 (sometimes 900-1200 adding cardio time) so I switched over to a 750 deficit and still manage to hit my daily macros (30% protein, 45% carbs, 25% fat) without any side effects. I feel good and full (both hunger wise and energy wise) . I don't believe it will hurt you as long as you don't skip a meal and double up for it later (which I happened to do and binged on 12 oz. of breaded chicken breast , completely going over my 1400 daily limit)
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weight around 150 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few months so I could be lower than that, I wanted to give myself some time between weighs.

I suppose I'm coming from a weird place, as even before this calorie watching I wasn't eating a lot of food, the food I was eating was unhealthy and high in calories however. Now that I've changed the quality, I seem to have no problem with the quantity. Being 150lbs at 5'8 doesn't really put me at much weight to lose, so I don't plan on doing this forever.

My goal is to combine this with intermittent fasting to get the fat off, and then I'll be looking to bulk.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've been running a 1000 calorie deficit for a month and a half now and overall I feel great and have more energy than I ever have! I am only consuming 1600 calories a day, and generally take in 100g of protein, 54g fat, and around 130-150g of carbs.

I keep reading that people are referring to 1000 cal deficits as "starving yourself", but truthfully I just don't understand it. Are these people not eating enough protein?

As long as you are doing some vigorous weight training, it's probably fine. Keep in mind that eventually, if you lose enough weight, that approach will no longer work.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Not everyone needs a doctor. TDEE is important to know.
    It might be important to you or others who use it. I don't know mine. I don't know what TDEE stands for and I don't care to know. For me, it's not important.

Everyone is different and has to walk their own path. I wish you luck on yours.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    An analysis of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment data suggested that a sedentary person can mobilize at most 31 calories per day per pound of adipose tissue (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615). Although others have pointed out the limits to that analysis, it does stand to reason that there is an upper limit to the amount of calories that a healthy person can draw from stored body fat before the body also starts to consume lean body mass to fuel itself. An obese person most likely doesn't need to worry about a 1000 calorie deficit, but if your body fat percentage is relatively low, it makes sense to lose weight less aggressively.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    well... i feel like **** on anything less than 1400.... and i'm a teeny tiny girl. However, depends on your starting weight. If you have a LOT (like maybe 100+lbs) to lose it might be doable. otherwise, you're gonna suffer the consequences sooner or later i'm afraid :(. Remember this needs to be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix diet.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weight around 150 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few months so I could be lower than that, I wanted to give myself some time between weighs.

I suppose I'm coming from a weird place, as even before this calorie watching I wasn't eating a lot of food, the food I was eating was unhealthy and high in calories however. Now that I've changed the quality, I seem to have no problem with the quantity. Being 150lbs at 5'8 doesn't really put me at much weight to lose, so I don't plan on doing this forever.

My goal is to combine this with intermittent fasting to get the fat off, and then I'll be looking to bulk.

A 1000 calorie deficit sounds far too aggressive for your goals, and you run the risk of losing quite a bit of muscle along with the fat. A half pound per week goal combined with adequate protein intake and heavy lifting is more appropriate for what you want to do.

Back to your initial question, a 1000 calorie deficit in and of itself is not bad, but it is more for people who have 75+ lbs to lose. When people here talk about people starving themselves, they are usually talking about a 1000 calorie intake, not deficit, because that calorie goal is too low for most people and it is difficult to get proper nutrition. That's not to say that having a deficit that is too aggressive does not have its drawbacks as well, just wanted to highlight the difference between calorie goal and deficit.
  • EzRemake
    Options
    Well, I imagine trying to eat 2500 - 2600 calories a day and I honestly have no idea how I would do it without dense foods. I was actually very surprised to learn that is my maintenance level, as I don't think I've ever really ate at that high of a caloric intake. Except for those days where I would have eaten awful fast food, with drinking alcohol and tons of garbage food etc.

To be honest, I thought the fat loss from a 1000 cal deficit would be more noticeable, but I suppose the mirror is tricky.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't burn 2600/day. Have you lost 12 lbs. in the last 6 weeks? If not, then you burn less than you think or you're eating more than you think.

With as little as you have to lose, I'd be surprised if you're able to lose 2 lbs/week reliably for that long. It's hard when you're not obese, and really hard when you're not even overweight.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    26 year old male who is 5'8 and 150lbs, well your BMI 22.8, so you are in a healthy range. When you bulk, you are going to add fat, why not learn more about bulking and go from there? Either way, 1000 is very aggressive for someone with so little weight to lose. I am losing 1lb a week with a total of about 32ish pounds to lose. If I cut my calories any lower, I get sick and my body stalls on weight lost. I also need to start doing some resistance training to keep the muscle I have. If I understand it correctly, the less you have to lose, the more you need to worry about losing your lean muscle mass. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me. Leaving this here for you.

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    15-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 15 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=guide+logging&page=1
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    dingdingdingdingding!
    Maybe you don't burn 2600/day. Have you lost 12 lbs. in the last 6 weeks? If not, then you burn less than you think or you're eating more than you think.
  • EzRemake
    Options
    I'll reduce my deficit by 400 calories starting next week and I'll see how 2000 calories a day feels.

To be honest I'm just not a big fan of eating. I love food, cooking is awesome, but eating is meh.
    Whoever thought you'd run into a person who'd be upset that they had to eat more? :P

If it turns out that I am indeed not burning 2600 calories a day, then I'm probably between 2100-2300, which either way would mean my deficit is not actually as large and harmful as its seeming.
  • fruitystix
    fruitystix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it a bit on the low side, and I'm sure I'm going to lose more than 2 pounds per week on 5000 kilojoules! Time will tell, I suppose