curious about the calories you burn while sitting/relaxing

trickey79
trickey79 Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been adding all my foods to the myfitnesspal app during the day, I have not started any kind of strict exercise program yet so my days consist of some walking/sitting/relaxing/walking steps/house work.... on the app there is a place to add cardio, which I know everyone is aware of.... I found a site online that shows your body burns approx. 75 calories for every 60 minutes of just sitting/relaxing during the day. Well I am taking in around 2000 calories/day but when I add my sitting/relaxing time in there, I'm coming up short and basically just wondering how accurate this is?? Should I continue to add that time in there or just leave it out?? Any help, suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    If you have it set as sedentary, then the calories you burn just sitting there are already figured into your daily amount. You should not add them back in as exercise. Even if you have it set as semi-active, what you do during the day is already calculated.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    When you signed up for MFP you entered what your daily activity level was. Those "relaxing burned calories have already been automatically factored into your daily calorie intake. You do not have to add them again.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    MFP figures out you BMR. The amount of calories you burn every day just being alive. So if you have it set at sedentary you're just fine already.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Don't add your sitting/relaxing calories to MFP. They are already included in your total daily energy expenditure number that MFP uses to set your goal so you are doubling them up. That can cause you to actually consume more then you've really burned and gain weight instead of losing. The same can be said for people who count housework calories that have already been included in their activity level. Unless you do something completely out of the ordinary around the house like use a push mower on 5 acres, or paint a whole room or move an entire storage building's worth of boxes or something like that, don't add your normal daily activity to the exercise section.
This discussion has been closed.