Cardio? The key to a perfect body?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I think she looks bulky. It's all about personal taste at the end of the day.
    I believe you mean muscular. A "bulky" person usually doesn't display much muscle definition. Think offensive lineman here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I disagree, I think she is muscular AND has quite a bit of fat. It's not a 'cut' look. But she is beautiful too. Beautiful and bulky!
    Maybe "bulky" for a bodybuilding competition, but FAR from "bulky" athletes. Again look at offensive linemen or even some female powerlifters and shotputters. I'll refer you to a thread a made a few months ago on this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular&page=1

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have noticed that when people ask for cardio advice on here alot of people belittle cardio and insist that you have to lift to get a great, lean bod. I can only tell you my experience. Three days a week I swim, do acquagym and have been on MFP for over a year. I've lost 20lbs and have gotten alot leaner--no flab, and like the way I look. Now all you lifters out there hang on, because I have nothing against lifting, or the results it gives, but you have to remember that not everyone can ( I have AO, plus wrist issues), or wants to lift, and that's OK. Yes, in my opinion you can get lean with "just" cardio, and the swimmers at my pool sure look lean and healthy. Wishing you the best. :smile:
    Swimming provides resistance. I would guarantee that a swimmer's upper body strength is probably much better than say a long distance runner. So you are doing resistance training.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Dr_Gains
    Dr_Gains Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    why not a mix of both? Adding in interval training done for 20-30 minutes max 2 days a week has helped me a ton with increasing my regular lifts by increasing my vo2 max throughout. Over half way through training i would be sweating and breathing heavily and made final lifts suck. after adding in the interval training i have no such problem anymore. Balance is key
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg

Yeaaaah! This is why I am working on lifting. I'm gonna look like that someday. The one on the right, of course :) You're going to be able to bounce a quarter off my butt. Whoever that is a picture of, she rocks!

@Op I'm on the lifting train with all the other ladies and gents here. You won't get bulky, you'll be lean just like you're asking for.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I believe you mean muscular. A "bulky" person usually doesn't display much muscle definition. Think offensive lineman here.

IDEA Fitness member

I disagree, I think she is muscular AND has quite a bit of fat. It's not a 'cut' look. But she is beautiful too. Beautiful and bulky!
    Maybe "bulky" for a bodybuilding competition, but FAR from "bulky" athletes. Again look at offensive linemen or even some female powerlifters and shotputters. I'll refer you to a thread a made a few months ago on this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular&page=1

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for the link to the thread, unfortunately the piccies aren't there, but I've seen some of them on Leigh's site I think.

I did a search and I couldn't find a technical weight class or body fat percentage of your athletic 'bulky' term, so I guess that means it's your subjective idea of the term.

I'm using the word bulky in the way it is defined in the dictionary
    Quote (of a person) heavily built.
    "a bulky, overcoat-clad figure"
    synonyms: heavily built, stocky, thickset, sturdy, sturdily built, well built, burly, strapping, brawny, muscular, solid, heavy, hefty, meaty; More

I have a different benchmark, personally, I'm grew up in 70s 80s England (and California) where everyone had 24 inch waists! We were all slim, and it was really unusual to see anyone even slightly overweight.

In my eyes, the above athlete looks heavy to me, and way thicker than the normal athlete that keeps the muscle and weight lower for speed and agility purposes. She's got it perfect for whatever those Crossfitters do I imagine, considering she's the winner.

Why am I being so pedantic? Because when a woman says she would like to lift but doesn't want to bulk up, this look is exactly what she is talking about. I'm not alone in wanting curves (10 inches between waist and hips), feminine neck and shoulders, arms that are strong but not male looking, and thighs that fit in jeans. That's why I love Bret Contraras, he gets the female body building thing so well.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I find a mixture of cardio and strength/weight training helps. I'm currently 4 months post partum (in my profile pic) but I have pics on my profile page of last year when I was slim. After 2 years of strength training(after baby no.2) I was slim with an hourglass figure, not bulky at all.

I'm doing a mixture now, and I really think using weights and doing squats, lunges etc helps, but I still love my cardio. I do a lot of classes like aerobics, step etc and they tend to incorporate weights and strength exercises. In the last 25 mins or so of the class. The only classes that don't are Zumba and spinning.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Try the Tone it up girls on YT
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I assume by 'perfect body' you really mean, a body that is more in line with your own personal tastes.

I would recommend some resistance training no matter what your aesthetic preferences - it has a slew of benefits (including for bone density which reduces the risk of osteoporosis) as well as maintaining muscle mass while dieting.

However, this article will probably point you in the right direction based on what you preferences appear to be:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when people ask for cardio advice on here alot of people belittle cardio and insist that you have to lift to get a great, lean bod. I can only tell you my experience. Three days a week I swim, do acquagym and have been on MFP for over a year. I've lost 20lbs and have gotten alot leaner--no flab, and like the way I look. Now all you lifters out there hang on, because I have nothing against lifting, or the results it gives, but you have to remember that not everyone can ( I have AO, plus wrist issues), or wants to lift, and that's OK. Yes, in my opinion you can get lean with "just" cardio, and the swimmers at my pool sure look lean and healthy. Wishing you the best. :smile:
    Swimming provides resistance. I would guarantee that a swimmer's upper body strength is probably much better than say a long distance runner. So you are doing resistance training.

IDEA Fitness member

Thankyou---you should see my shoulders. However I do acquagym also and that's resistance. For being 59 yrs old, and considering the OA, I'm doing pretty well
    but there's always room to get better. :smile:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Why am I being so pedantic? Because when a woman says she would like to lift but doesn't want to bulk up, this look is exactly what she is talking about. I'm not alone in wanting curves (10 inches between waist and hips), feminine neck and shoulders, arms that are strong but not male looking, and thighs that fit in jeans. That's why I love Bret Contraras, he gets the female body building thing so well.

Lol! 10 inches between waist and hips? Whether that is even possible is determined by genetics - torso length. The "cinched" waist occurs between your bottom rib and the top of your hip bones. The lanky runway models you see generally have long torsos - 8 inches between those bones. So it is possible they could have quite a bit of difference in waist and hip sizes and look "curvy" - they have the space to make that gradual "cinching" in. I have a short torso - 2 to 3 inches between those bones. I could NEVER get 10 inches difference in measurements between waist and hips because I only have 2 inches length (top to bottom) for the "cinch" to occur - that would look really freaky if I pulled it off! ><

Google torso lengths and see the difference. I am not knocking your goal, but being realistic about what is achievable given your body type will save some disappointment and frustration! Check your length before setting your heart on it :)
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Lol! 10 inches between waist and hips? Whether that is even possible is determined by genetics - torso length. The "cinched" waist occurs between your bottom rib and the top of your hip bones. The lanky runway models you see generally have long torsos - 8 inches between those bones. So it is possible they could have quite a bit of difference in waist and hip sizes and look "curvy" - they have the space to make that gradual "cinching" in. I have a short torso - 2 to 3 inches between those bones. I could NEVER get 10 inches difference in measurements between waist and hips because I only have 2 inches length (top to bottom) for the "cinch" to occur - that would look really freaky if I pulled it off! ><

Google torso lengths and see the difference. I am not knocking your goal, but being realistic about what is achievable given your body type will save some disappointment and frustration! Check your length before setting your heart on it :)

I suppose I've been lucky then, because I actually have 13 inches at the moment, 24 inch waist and 37 inch hips.!
    I got the waist down from about 30 inches by deficit and lowering body fat, and added an inch on the butt from weight lifting.

I thought 10 was about normal. 12 is technically hourglass. I'm 5'7".

Edited to add: out of curiosity I just measured the distance between the bottom rib and the hip bone. 4 inches.

Ah, I see what has happened. I meant 10 inches between the measurements of the waist and hips. Wow that would look weird having a body that long! Haha!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you gotta lift weights. No way around it.

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg

You CAN acheive this without weights.
    I used to look similar to inbetween pics 2 and 3 a few years ago....and i didn't lift any weights at all!
    I did a 1 hour Step Class, 20-30 mins running on the Treadmill and 30 mins on the Rowing machine (5 times a week).
    2 hours a day in the gym is a bit too much exercise for me now (gotten lazy in my old age :wink: ),...but it can be done without weights.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you gotta lift weights. No way around it.

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg

You CAN acheive this without weights.
    I used to look similar to inbetween pics 2 and 3 a few years ago....and i didn't lift any weights at all!
    I did a 1 hour Step Class, 20-30 mins running on the Treadmill and 30 mins on the Rowing machine (5 times a week).
    2 hours a day in the gym is a bit too much exercise for me now (gotten lazy in my old age :wink: ),...but it can be done without weights.

If you did your diet without losing muscle mass. Sadly that's not what happens to the majority in diets.

So they end up at goal with in pic 1 having lost a decent amount of what could have been there in pic 3 if diet/exercise had been done right - as you appear to have done it.

Your total body workout routine, like those swimming with lower body cardio, and perhaps a reasonable deficit the whole time, probably put you in a state where you didn't have to make up for what was lost.

Then again, even before diet, some start with more muscle mass because of recreation done, work, genetics, ect. Which just helps the end-game a lot.

So perhaps a caveat is in order. If you are doing full body muscle using cardio at the start of a reasonable diet with decent amount of protein and already have muscle mass, you can probably get by with no lifting.
    If you have dieted on and off going fad extreme each time, and/or you weren't that physical ever, you better do some lifting during the diet to help build back what was lost.
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight in a healthy way to gain a lean body. I am not looking to be built and muscular, just thin and healthy looking. I do a lot of cardio such as walking, jogging, and running with intervals. I have a 1400 calorie limit and I stay under that limit daily.

I wanted some tips on how to gain the lean and thin body that i've been trying to achieve. I am really not a big weight lifter and I exercise at home on a treadmill.

Like this? https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/10527903_733158596733071_7437855413369543032_n.jpg?oh=6ff2b286f406dd5a5c252ac08eb17944&oe=54CDF22D&__gda__=1422443979_fb04d9e7d20019a4fd77c361fcfcbbaf

This girl (Cassey Ho) lifts weights. She has a blog (blogilates.com) where she posts workouts. She even makes a workout calendar every month, with about an hour of Pilates a day (includes cardio, too).
    I don't think girls can get bulky, unless you're eating too many calories and lifting for hours a day.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for the link to the thread, unfortunately the piccies aren't there, but I've seen some of them on Leigh's site I think.

I did a search and I couldn't find a technical weight class or body fat percentage of your athletic 'bulky' term, so I guess that means it's your subjective idea of the term.

synonyms: heavily built, stocky, thickset, sturdy, sturdily built, well built, burly, strapping, brawny, muscular, solid, heavy, hefty, meaty; More

I have a different benchmark, personally, I'm grew up in 70s 80s England (and California) where everyone had 24 inch waists! We were all slim, and it was really unusual to see anyone even slightly overweight.

In my eyes, the above athlete looks heavy to me, and way thicker than the normal athlete that keeps the muscle and weight lower for speed and agility purposes. She's got it perfect for whatever those Crossfitters do I imagine, considering she's the winner.

Here's the pics:

bobrien.jpg

This would be BULKY

fitnessgirl1.jpg

This (at least here on the forums by most members) would be MUSCULAR

As you can see there is a definite difference. So when a female here says "she looks too bulky" and is referring to a "muscular" female, then the description is WRONG. What should be said is she is "too muscular" for my liking. Now of course "muscularity" is defined by how much definition and body fat you're carrying so you can be muscular and not so defined. Like this:

BielBlue1.jpg
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg
    Just thought that needed to cleared up.

And as I've shown with Jessica Biel, it's more about how much bodyfat you have over that muscle so one doesn't look to "muscular".

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Springfield1970
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Here's the pics:

bobrien.jpg

This would be BULKY

fitnessgirl1.jpg

This (at least here on the forums by most members) would be MUSCULAR

As you can see there is a definite difference. So when a female here says "she looks too bulky" and is referring to a "muscular" female, then the description is WRONG. What should be said is she is "too muscular" for my liking. Now of course "muscularity" is defined by how much definition and body fat you're carrying so you can be muscular and not so defined. Like this:

BielBlue1.jpg
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg
    Just thought that needed to cleared up.

And as I've shown with Jessica Biel, it's more about how much bodyfat you have over that muscle so one doesn't look to "muscular".

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

I appreciate your opinion! You see fit and muscular people all day, so your benchmark is high. Your 'muscular' is my 'bulky'.

I'm talking about the average female non-sporty opinion on feminine form, which, when you're trying to get a new client, or encourage someone to start lifting, is very different from yours or even mine. Just telling people that their definitions of bulky or muscular is wrong doesn't make any difference, women like me will still desire a look that is sexy and strong, not too heavy, lithe, low end of healthy BMI and actually doesn't look like we pump heavy iron, even though we spend a lot of time doing it.

I see stocky, thick waist, big undefined legs, wide neck, and traps, and I'm thinking bulky. I'm not concerned with the body fat percentage.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Too much pedantic arguing over semantics. That athletic crossfitter is a lovely woman, but she absolutely is "bulky" or "slightly manly" or "too muscular" or however else anyone with that aesthetic wants to describe it.

Doesn't make it bad or good, it's just a preference.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Too much pedantic arguing over semantics. That athletic crossfitter is a lovely woman, but she absolutely is "bulky" or "slightly manly" or "too muscular" or however else anyone with that aesthetic wants to describe it.

Doesn't make it bad or good, it's just a preference.

It's worth discussing though. I think it's important for folk in the fitness industry to see things through female bulk phobic eyes. It's very important to listen to what someone desires in their goal body and it's extremely challenging for us to lift heavy and still stay slender and elegant. It's possible, but a lot of the training programmes are masculine based and it's very very easy for us to overeat and overshoot.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY want Camille's body!! Sigh...:sad:
    I'd be happy with this! Keeping on with my lifting!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling kind of bad for Camille, the cross-training girl. Although the athletic, muscular look is not one I would aim for, she is very pretty!!!

She is also, obviously, a champion in her area, so good for her!