Running outside

Options
I was wondering how other runners are dealing with the cold weather. I'm tired of my skin feeling a bit raw and chapped...what can be done? I tend to run outside (lack of a gym right now and I trail run) and it's been quite cold and windy lately.

Replies

• forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run outside alot. If it gets really cold my skin does the same thing. I just limit my runs to 1 hour. I'm willing to live with some rawness since running inside generally sucks. Bodyglide helps!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sunscreen works great to prevent chapping and if there's snow on the ground you probably need it more now than in the summer. For really sensitive areas I smear on something heavier like aquaphor. Stay warm and watch out for ice!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I suggest moving to Texas, I'll be running in shorts after work today. If this isn't possible, maybe a ski mask? :-D I admire you for running in the snow!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Sunscreen works great to prevent chapping and if there's snow on the ground you probably need it more now than in the summer. For really sensitive areas I smear on something heavier like aquaphor. Stay warm and watch out for ice!

I don't go a day without sunscreen (spf 75 or better)...I'm proud to be pale, lol. I may need to try the aquaphor.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Lansinoh Lanolin. I used it as a nursing mom for other 'chapped' areas. My SO works outside and had major chapped hands. I convinced him to try it on his exposed knuckles and they healed overnight. Of course he never told anyone what the 'true' purpose of the stuff was!!

Bundle up and keep on rocking it!
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    i want to start running but am too scared of the cold! feel gutted that i decided to start running in winter!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I suggest moving to Texas, I'll be running in shorts after work today. If this isn't possible, maybe a ski mask? :-D I admire you for running in the snow!

Lol! You have no idea how ironic it is that you suggested this. The guy I'm kinda dating (whom I met on MFP) is trying his hardest to get me to move to Houston. Well...this is another reason I should just pack up and move, lol. Oh...and that snow is probably gone by now. I live in GA...it was a rare fluke of nature that we had snow on Christmas (first time in 128 years).
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, generally in the cold months I'm smearing Aquaphor it on my lips too -- it works really well!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Lansinoh Lanolin. I used it as a nursing mom for other 'chapped' areas. My SO works outside and had major chapped hands. I convinced him to try it on his exposed knuckles and they healed overnight. Of course he never told anyone what the 'true' purpose of the stuff was!!

Bundle up and keep on rocking it!

I try to avoid animal products (vegetarian with vegan tendancies). But that is hilarious that you got your boy toy to try it. He'd freak out if he knew the real reason for it, lol.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Bump....still need some more ideas.