Question About Leg Muscle/Fat

Options
I've noticed a huge difference in my leg muscles in the past few months, but now I've noticed how jiggly my upper thighs are. It seems my legs are rubbing together when I walk even more than before. Is it possible to spot train that area more or is spot training just a myth? And are there any good workouts for the inner thighs?

Replies

• lillmssy
    Options
    Get a thigh master.....I don't think they call it a thigh master anymore because that is a 1980's thing, BUT I did see one in K Mart over the Holidays while shopping. It had another name though.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You can spot train muscle to build or "tone" it, but you can't spot reduce fat. Without knowing your workouts, I can't say for sure what it is, but here are a few options for you. If you're using your legs for your workouts and doing weights for them, you will start to see the muscle definition over time but the fat takes longer to go away Keep up the weight training, but do more cardio, too. If you aren't working them as much or aren't using a lot of resistance on them, then you will still look jiggly even if you've lost fat there because the muscles aren't being used. Add resistance training for the legs and keep up the cardio. If you've lost a lot of weight, you may be noticing loose skin from losing fat too fast (at least that is the current belief as to what causes it, but I know people who didn't lose very fast and still have loose skin). The loose skin won't typically go away on it's own and usually requires surgery.

As for specific exercises, I highly recommend plie squats to focus on the total leg and butt area while getting extra focus on the inner thigh. A plie squat is where you turn your legs out from the hip socket so the knees and toes are pointed out to the side instead of to the front. Make sure you have a wide enough foot position so that you don't let your knees go past your toes when you are in the down position. I like to use a heavy dumbbell held by the end at waist/hip level (wherever the length of your arms allows for the weight to hang directly in front of you), but you can also use a standard weight bar or dumbbells held at the shoulders. Pick a weight were you do sets of 8 and the last two are tough to complete but can be done without losing form.