Drinking on New years eve

Options
I DO NOT want to go out and waste 1000 calories on drinking
waste money i dont have, stay up late, or be hungover the next day
I really dont even want to go out .. I want to go to the gym have a nice light dinner and maybe a few glasses of wine at home ..

But .. there is so much pressurefrom friends and family to go get "drunk " i dont want to do that anymore
Am i being lame ?? Should I just go out?
Or should I stck to my guns?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Do what YOU want to do. My friends want to go out too, but we're staying home, making a few snacks, having a few glasses of wine, and calling it a day.

Whatever you chose to do, have fun, and happy 2011! :bigsmile:
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    I say do what you want to do, its your body!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, you don't need to drink 1,000 calories. You can easily drink like 300-400 if you are good. And at that small amount, you won't waste money, you don't have to stay there the whole time, and alternate with water and drinks, keeping you hydrated and less likely to feel hungover.

If you LITERALLY don't want to go out and have fun, and you would be miserable and cranky if you did, then I guess you should stay home by yourself, but this is kind of my one time a year that I force myself to go out - I'm not really a going out person, but I like to go out for the company and the excitement.

It's up to you, but I would think about it more closely and realize that it is not so exaggerated at you made it out to be
  • NicholasMongold
    Options
    Teehee i'm drinking shakeology!! :D
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to get drunk if you go out? Can't you have 3-4 drinks and still have a good night with friends?

The way I see it, this is suppose to be a lifestyle change which also means you're not going to stop everything in your life but learn to incorporate it. You still have to enjoy some things in life.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, you don't need to drink 1,000 calories. You can easily drink like 300-400 if you are good.

Agreed. I drink vodka and flavored carbonated water or sprite. Six of those suckers are about 420 cals (one shot per drink). In the end it is totally your call babe. Do what YOU want!!!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to my guns. I'm drinking!!
  • EmilyAnna86
    Options
    I'm only 24 years old and I feel the same way about going out and drinking. I plan on having a nice dinner and just seeing where the night takes me. Maybe see a band or maybe stay at home and watch the ball drop. I'm not a big drinker and truthfully going to bars full of trashed people irritates me most of the time. You only have one life....Do what you want.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i'm so drinking! :drinker:

are you kidding!? we are having karaoke tomorrow and there will be dancing and snackies!

now, where i'm going for new year's - there will be A LOT of drinking and a lot of fun! BUT i'm with my friends and they know how hard i've been working, so there won't be too much pressure.

i will drink gin and diet tonic water.
    or i will have a couple coors lights and lemon drops.

i will be sure to drink lots of water all day and also when i go out I ALWAYS HAVE WATER NEXT TO MY ALCOHOLIC DRINK :flowerforyou: this helps with any sort of hangover and keeps me hydrated and full.

and OF COURSE - DANCING - i get out there are really shake it! especially when hubby sings "All Right Now" and "Slow Ride" LOL! and i will count that as exercise. because if i dance to like 15 songs and i sweat - that is working out baby!

sorry, i'm so excited, can you tell? :smokin:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You should be able to go out with family/friends and have a good time without having to drink, if you don't want to. If not, then they're not very supportive! Drinking is NOT a requirement for having fun. That said, you can choose to drink a little without going into crazy calorie land... diet soda and vodka and drinks like that are fairly calorie friendly... wine is about 100 cal for a small glass. it's the creme/pre-made mix drinks (margaritas, mudslides, etc.) you want to stay away from.

Don't be afraid to go out, but you should do it on YOUR terms. Don't let others dictate your life. You choose what you put in your body, and you choose how you want to have fun. If the people in your life aren't being supportive and are pressuring you to do things you don't want to, then you need to have an honest talk with them - if they still don't get it, find other people to hang out with on New Year's.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    All very good tips thank you !
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i hear ya!!
    the calories from drinks, the drunken snacks post-bar and then the extra big breakfast you have to eat the next day due to the hangover really adds up. not to mention screws up your gym routine!
    instead of hiding from the temptations, try going out with your friends but be conscious of how quickly you're drinking, what kind of drink you're having... i like to have switch back and forth: i'll have a vodka tonic, then the next round i get a straight tonic with lime so it LOOKS like i'm still drinking with everyone, then i'll go back to v+t, then tonic with lime, etc.
    good luck! have fun whatever you decide!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT want to go out and waste 1000 calories on drinking
    waste money i dont have, stay up late, or be hungover the next day
    I really dont even want to go out .. I want to go to the gym have a nice light dinner and maybe a few glasses of wine at home ..

But .. there is so much pressurefrom friends and family to go get "drunk " i dont want to do that anymore
    Am i being lame ?? Should I just go out?
    Or should I stck to my guns?

I totally understand. Its not that your trying to be good. You have changed and going out and getting drunk is not part of your healthy personality. As you change and become more fit slowly those people that don't really fit into your lifestyle will slowly pull away from you not because they are bad friends but because they don't fit into your lifestyle.
    If you have a really good friend that you don't want to grow apart you have to keep that active. Im not saying to dump your friends im just saying it will happen naturally. Its because you have changed you will make different friends New friends that are more fit and healthy.

I once read the following:
    You are an average of the 10 people you spend the most time with.

Makes alot of sense to me. Because of the changes you have made your spot with your group of friends is moving up a couple notches.

Don't feel bad about it Do what you know you want to do. If you want to go out and have a couple light drinks and call it a night early Do it! If you want to suck down a Fifth of GoldSchlagger Do it. Its your lifestyle you get to make all the decisions

Go be Healthy! and have an Active New Year!
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    hahaha a fiith of goldslagger lolol !!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to my guns. I'm drinking!!

Tru Dat lol
  • JGCowboy
    Options
    I'll probably end up alone on the couch with a bottle of wine. Save the glass so I dont have to do extra dishes!!!! Happy Freakin new year everyone...LOL :drinker:
  • MomisgettingFIT
    Options
    Just remember : Don't Drink and Drive
    Have fun and Happy New Year
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Sounds to me like you answered your own question. You DO NOT WANT TO. Then don't. Nothing lame about that. As the old saying goes, if your 'friends' dont respect that then they are not really friends in the first place. How about planning a quieter evening at your place and inviting a couple people who might enjoy that with you?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you answered your own question. You DO NOT WANT TO. Then don't. Nothing lame about that.
    Exactly.