Traveling to China for Business - FOOD HELP!!

Options
I am leaving in a couple of weeks for 2+ week business trip to China. I have never been. My colleagues talk of the huge spreads the vendors we are visiting put on and expect everyone to eat etc. and that they can take it personally if you don't participate fully. Anyone with experience in this and how to stay on track and be respectful to different cultures AND how to track foods in China would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I am leaving in a couple of weeks for 2+ week business trip to China. I have never been. My colleagues talk of the huge spreads the vendors we are visiting put on and expect everyone to eat etc. and that they can take it personally if you don't participate fully. Anyone with experience in this and how to stay on track and be respectful to different cultures AND how to track foods in China would be greatly appreciated!!

The food in China is AMAZING, and in my experience very, very healthy, with lots of vegetables and small amounts of meats and fish prepared in wonderful sauces. The amount of alcohol you are expected to consume varies widely depending on where you are going and who you are with, but make sure you drink a lot of water (green tea is usually on tap everywhere) and water down any liquor. If you really need/want to abstain, then I would explain you have a medical condition and it's on doctor's orders. You are expected to TASTE everything, not eat significant quantities of anything (not even rice if you don't want to), and your hosts really just want to share the best of their food and culture - they're being polite and want you to enjoy what they have to offer. Being a good host is a huge part of Chinese culture.

Honestly, I've lost weight every time I've gone to China and eaten very, very well. I wish I could get decent real Chinese food in the US, but ended up having to buy a recipe book and make my own. I could die for some of that yummy dumpling, vegetable soup stuff right now!

Have a great time!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My husband has traveled to China on business and said all the same things as the poster above. Honestly, if it were me I'd lay off the tracking and enjoy the experience of being in an Asian country including tasting all the foods!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Skip the white rice will save you plenty of those emptier calories. Take lots of veggies which will be readily available. Meats are abundant now and usually in sauces, so just moderation will be key with that. Drink lots of tea (water is a lot harder to drink consistently over there, and should always be bottled).

Watch the alcohol, but chances are that you will be able to outdrink the normal Chinese guy, just not the ones that have built up that tolerance. :drinker:
  • sbehe
    sbehe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice, thank you!!:happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My FIL goes to china all the time and he has come to the conclusion its almost impossible to track what your eating and all you can do is use some common sense on portion sizes etc and just enjoy it