acidic feeling in throat?

Options
Hi,
I have been working on eating healthier and staying within my allotted calories every day. However I get this acidic - seeming burning in my throat and I've had it for a couple of days now. Sometimes it feels like it goes down into my chest too. I've had it in the past... acid reflux maybe? I'm not sure. Any ideas what may be causing this or ways to help combat it? I'm sure it has to do with my diet but this time it seems to mostly stick around no matter what I've been eating.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sounds like heart burn to me- but I wouldn't know for sure since I don't suffer from it (my bestie did something fierce though)

if you think it really is acid reflux type stuff- take the OTC meds- and if it doesn't help go see a doctor- repetitive acid reflux can really burn holes in your esophagus and do some real damage- don't let it just go on and on.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If it persists call your doctor and get checked. Could be a number of things, anything from heartburn to heart problems.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Sounds like reflux. Change in eating habits can cause this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yep definitely acid reflux/heartburn. When mine acts up, I take a Zantac in the morning. That usually seems to knock it out for the rest of the day.
  • hoovified
    hoovified Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have health insurance right now. I know my dad gets bad acid reflux. Mine usually doesn't last this long, mostly if I eat saucy spaghetti sauce like foods (which I have in the past couple of days), then it goes away over the next meal or so. But probably since my diet is changed now and the spaghetti sauce is why it's acting up. It's not THAT bad, just slightly irritating. I will try some OTC medicine... I was hoping someone knew of a food that would calm it down. I hate taking medicine, but I will if I have to ;) Thank you all!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds like heart burn.....rennies, gavisgon etc

Could you be pregnant? - that's the only time I had heartburn :/

ETA: mints, milk
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have health insurance right now. I know my dad gets bad acid reflux. Mine usually doesn't last this long, mostly if I eat saucy spaghetti sauce like foods (which I have in the past couple of days), then it goes away over the next meal or so. But probably since my diet is changed now and the spaghetti sauce is why it's acting up. It's not THAT bad, just slightly irritating. I will try some OTC medicine... I was hoping someone knew of a food that would calm it down. I hate taking medicine, but I will if I have to ;) Thank you all!

okay- first you said it wasn't related to something you ate- now it's spaghetti sauce?

seriously- if you know a food is causing it- don't eat that food.
  • AceCC86
    Options
    When I changed my eating habits for the better, I got heartburn like crazy. I made a huge change to what was going into my body, so I guess it makes sense. It ended up getting better by the end of month 1 or 2, though. TUMS have always been good friends of mine.
  • ajmitchneck
    ajmitchneck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say it's definitely acid reflux. I've lived with it for years. As a singer, it caused huge issues with my voice also. I used to take Nexium and/or Protonix (Acid Blockers) every day. Key word is used to. I'm not a doctor but if you do some searching on the internet, you can learn a lot about your condition and what could help. For me, I stopped believing in all the hype of acid blockers, I stopped listening to my doctors and I started researching on my own.

From my research and doing trials on myself, I found that a Magnesium deficiency was the cause for the Acid Reflux. I now take 500mg of Magnesium with my regular multi-vitamin daily. My acid reflux is completely gone and has been for 2 years now. I never take an Acid Blocker even after eating spicy foods or chocolate (another big acid food for me).

When I told my doctor that I stopped taking the meds for the condition, and that I don't have symptoms or any issues as I did previously even using the meds and what I started taking. She was amazed, I was taking the meds for almost 15 years and now no meds.

As I said I'm not a doctor just someone that had the issue and learned to fix it myself. If you give it a try and it works for you, let people know. The medications that we are given for this issue can actually cause other problems and unfortunately most doctors are only trained in giving meds to help an issue not to heal the patient. Knowledge is power.
  • hoovified
    Options
    okay- first you said it wasn't related to something you ate- now it's spaghetti sauce?

I never said it wasn't relating to something I ate. I make my own sauce and it has never caused this much of an acidic feeling or for this long so I thought maybe it could be from something else, and apparently I was right! Thank you.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I never said it wasn't relating to something I ate. I make my own sauce and it has never caused this much of an acidic feeling or for this long so I thought maybe it could be from something else, and apparently I was right! Thank you.

sorry- it was this line
    I'm sure it has to do with my diet but this time it seems to mostly stick around no matter what I've been eating.

kind if implied it wasn't a specific food related reaction. perhaps I mis read?
  • hoovified
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies. I am definitely not pregnant lol but maybe it will be a good clue to look for in future years? Lol. I will look more into magnesium and other ideas as to what may help. Maybe it is just more drastic from my diet change and will go away in a couple of months, hopefully! Thank you all again!
  • hoovified
    Options

sorry- it was this line
    I'm sure it has to do with my diet but this time it seems to mostly stick around no matter what I've been eating.

kind if implied it wasn't a specific food related reaction. perhaps I mis read?

I'm sorry, I thought that implied I knew it had to do something with my diet lol... like I said though, sauce has caused it but never for this long. Anyway, glad we both have a better understanding now of what I meant and sorry for any confusions.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

no worries- much clearer now!!!

good luck with the over the counter meds!!!
  • blairf83
    blairf83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds like heartburn. I pretty much have it all the time when dieting.... I drink a lot of water when I'm getting hungry- that often helps cool it down. Or a swig of soymilk... Or I chew a tums... If that doesnt' do it, I pop a prilosec....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating more acidic foods? Oranges, green apples, etc? That might be the cause. Try taking an antacid or cutting out the acidic foods and see if it stops.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

You can't truly say is not that bad, just fyi. When you feel the burning sensation, it is already damaging the tissues. When it happens fairly regularly, that prevents healing which puts you at risk for esophageal cancer. You really should pick up some Zantac, or a generic of the same medication, and take it daily (before eating the foods that will cause it) until you lose more weight. This is a problem that will improve with weight loss, but it could take another 20-30 pounds or more to see improvement. As far as foods, dairy is good for helping to neutralize acidity (especially milk, sour cream and yogurt), but it won't fix the problem. You really need to be on the medication for now.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    I looked into your food diary. A few things could be causing this increase in heartburn.

1.Fats aren't super high but if they have increased from previous it could cause this.
    2. You eat a lot of sodium. I dunno if its just me, but I find if I do this, it can bother my stomach
    3. Tomatoes!!! You have tomatoes and ketchup and spaghetti sauce which are all very acidic food. A lot of people with acid reflux avoid tomatoes because they are so acidic. I would say you should atleast cutdown on tomatoes and go for some less acidic vegetabbles.
    4. Coffee (can't remember if I saw coffee or not) but this definitely can cause problems with acid reflux

There's my bit of advice. Not sure if it will help.
    Definitely should go see a doc though, as acid reflux over an extended period of time can increase the likelihood of developing esophageal (SP?) cancer, and can damage teeth (especially if you are having acid reflux before you sleep)
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a small hand full of dry oatmeal will stop heart burn. It never worked for me, but it might for you. I have also heard that peppermint will help...

*edited to add -- Don't just assume it will go away though. Heart burn can be very damaging and can cause long term side effects.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    apple cider vinegar ...if you google it you will find all sorts of information