1250 cals/day -- no weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing .... Yeah the more people I talk to, the more I think the protein is too much. I think I need to increase my fat intake. I'm OK with the carbs, which is surprising ... plus I notice when I eat more fat, I feel less "hangry" ..; THanks for the advice!

uh no, protein is NOT the problem.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and my calories level is higher. I don't exercise as hard as you. I am losing about 1 lb a week. Be sure you are drinking enough water. I like the site iifym.com for helping to look at BMR and set calorie/macro levels. I actually lost more weight when I ate a little more. I started out with 1200 and lost for a while and then halted. Got annoyed one day and ate over and then the scale started moving again. Everybody is different though. You have to see what works for you. I am at 1310 right now.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you were losing weight on 1700 calories why did you stop? You should always always always try and lose weight on as many calories as possible. There are peer-reviewed meta analysis and studies about dieting too drastically and it's negative effect on metabolism, weight rebound, and fat hyperplasia.

How do you feel (energy level, sleep)?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all solid foods and measure liquids?

In not, then you may be eating 10-50+% more than you think you are.
  • mas_unlimited
    mas_unlimited Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to go into starvation mode if you go too low on the calories. If you are exercising, your body needs the calories to a point so that it will function normally and not hoard calories. Balance is needed. Try keeping up the exercise but maybe go to a 1300 or 1400 calorie diet.
  • Be REALLY careful about "cheat days" it can seriously blow your whole week. If you are going to have a day for splurges, I recommend you still record what you eat and keep it pretty reasonable.
  • Hey, can anyone help me out?
    I go to the gym almost every day and burn there 400-500 calories. I eat about 1200-1400 in a day. Is this okay? :huh: I am 5'9 220lbs. How many calories should i be netting in order to lose 1 lb a week? :) Thanks.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I seemed to drop more when I was doing my own diet – eating more than just protein, veggies and 60g of carbs day – and going hard in the gym.

Then why did you stop?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hey, can anyone help me out?
    I go to the gym almost every day and burn there 400-500 calories. I eat about 1200-1400 in a day. Is this okay? :huh: I am 5'9 220lbs. How many calories should i be netting in order to lose 1 lb a week? :) Thanks.

You are eating a net equivalent in one whole day to less than what I normally scarf down for breakfast. Given that you are my height and weigh just a bit more than me, I would say you need to up your intake. The most petit person would eat no less than 1000 net calories a day. I am a guy, and the rules are different for me, but I normally take in about 2500-3000 per day gross
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I re-read your original post. You actually kind of answered the question already. You were losing weight at 1700 calories and you begin feeling like **** when you dropped to 1250. I would gradually increase your calories again until you start to feel good again. Unfortunately people that are into bodybuilding or figure modeling / athletes, they go through more drastic diets that aren't always applicable or even good for the general population. It seems like you were better off before, go back to what was working.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) Possibly just significant fluid retention masking fat loss.
    2) Most people eat more than they think for a variety of reasons. That being said if you really ARE eating at 1250 I would expect you to start losing at some point soon and I would also expect you to be able to eat slightly more and still lose at a reasonable pace.
    3) 140g protein is probably more than sufficient but I wouldn't be concerned about safety provided you don't have pre-existing conditions that would prevent you from eating a protein rich diet.