My First 30 Day Shred: Level 1

superwmn
superwmn Posts: 936
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Santa brought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for Christmas. Tried Level 1 for the first time yesterday and I LOVED IT!

First let me state that I will not be doing this every day for 30 days. This is just another option for my daily work out.

If you haven’t done the 30 Day Shred before, the format is awesome:
- Quick warm up
- Circuit 1
- Circuit 2
- Circuit 3
- Quick Cool Down

Each Circuit is 6 minutes in duration: 3 min strength, 2 min cardio and 1 min abs. Each circuit has different strength, cardio and ab moves so you’re CONSTANTLY changing what you’re doing.

I LOVED the format because it was over quickly, FELT like a quick work out because we never did the same movement for more than 90 seconds and REALLY gave me a great sweat and a great burn.

My thighs are still a little shaky.

I have water aerobics tonight, but I will totally be doing Level 1 again tomorrow.

Charmagne

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    I can't wait to start this. I have an agreement with three other people that we all start doing it on January 1st.. I am going to try to do this every day for the 30 days. I need to build up some good exercise strength! I still can't do a lot-so this is my way of pushing myself. Can't wait to start!
  • brice02
    brice02 Posts: 64 Member
    I think I'n going to have to pull out my 30 day shred dvd again!
  • I just bought this off ebay. Now I must do it. I'm so excited!
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    putting that on my wishlist for 2011!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Im going to do another round of mine, starting today! I meant to start yesterday but worked way too late and just couldn't fit it in since I didn't even get dinner until after 8pm. I did go for a quick walk at lunchtime and mid afternoon just to get out of my office chair at least.

Im hoping this next round of it will give me the push to get the last bit of excess weight off and to my goal.

Really looking forward to 2011 as I plan to get to my goal sometime in April. A major milestone for me as I have not been there since 1997 . . . a whopping 14 years ago . . . but I know I will get there and STAY there this time because we have changed our lifestyle completely, not just gone on a severe "diet" as I have in the past.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    ...it is a a great workout- and the best buy for your buck at 8$! I love it. Level 2 is a killer on the arms...love it SO much! It is time for me to do it again I think.

Let me say this- for the beginners out there- DO NOT give up. Don't stop just do what you can- and you will be AMAZED at how strong you get from day one on...it really does do what it promises!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Great job!! I love love LOVE the 30 DS!! It was my first workout DVD, and now I have a collection of Jillian's DVDs :-P
  • I just bought the DVD, so I'll start next week when it arrives. Can anyone tell me how much room space this workout requires? I'm trying to figure out which room to set up in. Thanks!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    I finished day 2 today (still level 1) but OMG I am so sore. I love it though, like you said switching things up helps it go by so quickly. Ive been doing it on demand and there is only level 1. Do you know how long u are supposed to do level one befo moving on ?
  • Mollydolly10
    I finished day 2 today (still level 1) but OMG I am so sore. I love it though, like you said switching things up helps it go by so quickly. Ive been doing it on demand and there is only level 1. Do you know how long u are supposed to do level one befo moving on ?

Hey Becky, there is no "set rules." Jillian says to move on when you "feel ready," but honestly, the workout is tough so I don't know if I'd every WILLINGLY decide I'm ready to move up :-P I just did 10 days on each level, and did it for 30 days straight
  • superwmn
    I just bought the DVD, so I'll start next week when it arrives. Can anyone tell me how much room space this workout requires? I'm trying to figure out which room to set up in. Thanks!

My living room sucks to work out in because there is NO ROOM. You only need enough room for your exercise mat and clearence of a few feet around the exercise mat.

Let me know what you think of it!

Charmagne
  • Mollydolly10
    I just bought the DVD, so I'll start next week when it arrives. Can anyone tell me how much room space this workout requires? I'm trying to figure out which room to set up in. Thanks!

Not much! You need enough floor space for push ups (so the length of your body). Level 3 has some "walking pushups" where you'll need a little less than an arms length of space added to each side of your body when in pushup position. Superman is also on the ground and has your legs AND arms straight out, so you need to be able to do that. If you are able to lay in Superman in the room, all of the jumping, cardio should be no problem in terms of room.
  • jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    I also am going to start the shred 1-1-11. What size weights should I start with?
  • superwmn
    I also am going to start the shred 1-1-11. What size weights should I start with?

I started with 5lb weights and that was plenty. You can always start with 1 or 3lbs and move up if that's not heavy enough :)

Charmagne
  • Mollydolly10

In the video, they are using 3 lb weights. I would start with 2 or 3 and work your way up. By the end of level 3, I was using 5 lbs for some of the moves!
  • Thanks guys! You all ROCK!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    I completed day 2 of level 1 today and while I did gave to talk myself into doing I, I managed to finish with only a couple of 5 second breathers. I can really feel it in my shoulder, arms and abs. It's definitely easier to make it through when you think of only having to do a particular exercise for a minute or less
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member

Please get something heavier than a water bottle. Great selection of weights at both Walmart and Target. Maybe start with 5 pounds.
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    I am on day 5! I've pretty much done it every day. I'm still on level one. I have been using 5 lbs weights but these are a little heavy for some of the exercises. My calves are cramping form all the jumping around but i can tell the difference already... I have more endurance. I want to do it every day but my work schedule won't allow me too.

Jillian is tough!
  • flems629
    flems629 Posts: 80 Member
    We have a group going, check out 30 day shred, anyone in? thred if you want. We are just going to be checkin in daily and tell everyone how the day went. It helps keep us motivated, supported and accountible. We do not all have to be in the same day, its more for support! :D
This discussion has been closed.