Exercise/Food Tracker

manleyzoo
manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, I am a bit confused. On the food tracker we get calories back for the exercises we do. Do you all actually eat more to use those calories? Seems to me I should just eat the 1200 calories a day and not the extra allotted. That would be defeating the exercise. Would like to hear some feedback from both sides. Thanks

Linda in IA

Replies

• manleyzoo
    Thanks Robin, will do!!

Linda in IA
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Robin, I was just able to send those exact links :-D
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Hi Linda hope your well. To answer your question
    Some say yes
    Some say no
    Some say half
    Basically it's up to you I say it's a good buffer if your feeling a bit drained and need that extra bit of food
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    I know alot of people eat back their exercise calories....some eat half, some dont at all...its all about what numbers work for you..i eat back probably half of mine, still trying to figure out my numbers as well... i think 1200 is the minimum you should be eating, so if you're only eating that many and then you exercise along with it (say you burn 300 cals) you're actually only consuming 900 cals which isnt enough for your daily need....( I THINK)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I know alot of people eat back their exercise calories....some eat half, some dont at all...its all about what numbers work for you..i eat back probably half of mine, still trying to figure out my numbers as well... i think 1200 is the minimum you should be eating, so if you're only eating that many and then you exercise along with it (say you burn 300 cals) you're actually only consuming 900 cals which isnt enough for your daily need....( I THINK)
    correct, which is why you NEED to eat them
  • manleyzoo
    I am going to consider them a "treat" for exercising. I HATE to exercise, so maybe this will be motivation!! GET OF YOU *kitten*, LINDA!!!! LOL

Linda in IA
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    somedays I eat them back or part of them but other days I just can't seem to eat any extra. But I just listen to my body. If I'm hungry I try to eat extra lean proteins and extra veggies/fruits. At least that way I put something good in that my body needs.
  • manleyzoo
    Thanks everyone!! Those links helped alot!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It depends on what your daily calorie goal is. MFP already calculates a calorie deficit for you to lose you desired amount of weight each week. So when you exercise you're depriving your body of the calories that you burn in addition to the cals you already aren't eating. If your daily goal is 1200, you really should eat those exercise calories. If your goal is higher, like 1500, you don't have to eat them all, depending on how much you burn.

I generally eat all my exercise calories and have still been losing my desired 1 pound per week.
This discussion has been closed.