5 weeks to half marathon

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, and what I would do.

I am at my goal weight. I am in good shape - I completed an Olympic distance triathlon last month, with full effort all the way, no walking on the run, no stopping on the bike, no resting on the swim. I do not have type 1 diabetes, or any other illness. My resting heart rate is sub-50 bpm.

I would consider 5 weeks to be the minimal training time necessary for me to safely complete an HM. My max run distance is currently 9 miles, so that gives me four weeks on 10% mileage increase per week, plus a taper week. I'd be expecting it to be a pretty miserable run since I'd be operating at my run limits (muscular and skeletal stresses from running are different from the bike and swim, even though I have the endurance base).

Contrast this to your fitness levels. You are still 25 pounds overweight (presumably, by your profile) You have type 1 diabetes which you are currently struggling to control. You could run maximum four miles, five weeks ago, and haven't run since. I'm assuming this is your first big event.

I'm not trying to be mean or discourage you - I think everyone should have goals like this. But I absolutely think this is the wrong time to do it. Even walk/run, you are probably going to have a very unpleasant experience, and you may even end up in an ambulance. Personally I would rather DNS on my own terms, than DNF in an ambulance.

Forget this race, get stabilized, put in a good 16 weeks of training, and have an enjoyable race. Run all the way and feel like you really killed it, instead of limping through.

By the way, this is coming from someone who had a bicycle accident the week before my big race. So I am no stranger to the stubborn desire to race no matter what. But I was sure to get myself physically checked out and cleared by my doctor to race, and it didn't substantially impact my training, since it at the start of my taper week anyway.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I am at my goal weight. I am in good shape - I completed an Olympic distance triathlon last month, with full effort all the way, no walking on the run, no stopping on the bike, no resting on the swim. I do not have type 1 diabetes, or any other illness. My resting heart rate is sub-50 bpm.

I would consider 5 weeks to be the minimal training time necessary for me to safely complete an HM. My max run distance is currently 9 miles, so that gives me four weeks on 10% mileage increase per week, plus a taper week. I'd be expecting it to be a pretty miserable run since I'd be operating at my run limits (muscular and skeletal stresses from running are different from the bike and swim, even though I have the endurance base).

Contrast this to your fitness levels. You are still 25 pounds overweight (presumably, by your profile) You have type 1 diabetes which you are currently struggling to control. You could run maximum four miles, five weeks ago, and haven't run since. I'm assuming this is your first big event.

I'm not trying to be mean or discourage you - I think everyone should have goals like this. But I absolutely think this is the wrong time to do it. Even walk/run, you are probably going to have a very unpleasant experience, and you may even end up in an ambulance. Personally I would rather DNS on my own terms, than DNF in an ambulance.

Forget this race, get stabilized, put in a good 16 weeks of training, and have an enjoyable race. Run all the way and feel like you really killed it, instead of limping through.

By the way, this is coming from someone who had a bicycle accident the week before my big race. So I am no stranger to the stubborn desire to race no matter what. But I was sure to get myself physically checked out and cleared by my doctor to race, and it didn't substantially impact my training, since it at the start of my taper week anyway.

and ^this

Despite what some would have you believe...that we're being too negative and chicken littleish...we actually have your best interests in mind with our advice. What we don't want to happen* is for you to have a miserable experience and become someone who talks about how you ran/tried to run a HM a few years ago and completely gave up running after that. Running can be an awesome experience. Do it correctly and a few years from now, you can talk about the multiple HMs you have completed and how you're striving for yet another PR in an upcoming race.

Done correctly, you can keep the chance of serious injury fairly low. Done incorrectly and the chance of injury becomes almost certain.

*And what we REALLY don't want to happen is for you to run into a serious health issue while on the course...because when you're explaining to your doctor what you did and the circumstances leading up to the event, he or she is going to be very unhappy with you...because based on the facts we have, this sounds like a potentially Very Bad Idea™.

Ultimately, whatever you decide on the race and whatever you decide to do in the next five weeks, I hope you make net progress towards whatever goal(s) you have chosen.

edit: to update the edited quoted post.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're just gonna do what you're already planning to do and pay no mind to others saying "bad idea" why ask?

Who said I wasn't listening to everyone's feedback? I absolutely am, which is why I said I know when to say when. There are plenty of people who said fine idea though, and I personally see no harm in at least continuing to train, not pushing my limits. I asked for advice based on my overall fitness level having gone down some, and what I thought was a reasonable run/walk plan. It's not a full marathon, it's 13.1 miles which I've hiked in a few hours several times.
    Again, I'm not disregarding anyone's advice to skip this race, I'm just saying I see no harm in continuing to train until I get a better sense of what's realistic. I do appreciate everyone's feedback, and I'm glad to have seen several opinions. You can't please everyone :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

and ^this

Despite what some would have you believe...that we're being too negative and chicken littleish...we actually have your best interests in mind with our advice. What we don't want to happen* is for you to have a miserable experience and become someone who talks about how you ran/tried to run a HM a few years ago and completely gave up running after that. Running can be an awesome experience. Do it correctly and a few years from now, you can talk about the multiple HMs you have completed and how you're striving for yet another PR in an upcoming race.

Done correctly, you can keep the chance of serious injury fairly low. Done incorrectly and the chance of injury becomes almost certain.

*And what we REALLY don't want to happen is for you to run into a serious health issue while on the course...because when you're explaining to your doctor what you did and the circumstances leading up to the event, he or she is going to be very unhappy with you...because based on the facts we have, this sounds like a potentially Very Bad Idea™.

Ultimately, whatever you decide on the race and whatever you decide to do in the next five weeks, I hope you make net progress towards whatever goal(s) you have chosen.

edit: to update the edited quoted post.

Agreed with all of the above. At the very very least, please talk to your doctor first.

I've got chronic health issues and I totally understand the reluctance to postpone your first HM. I have, many times, put my pride and my fitness goals ahead of my health. I'm finally learning not to do that but it's taken a few fairly catastrophic injuries and flare ups to get there. Either way take care of yourself and do what you need to do to be healthy.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I didn't run for 6 weeks prior to a half marathon in April due to a knee injury and it was fine. I ran the distance again last week and again this week. It will be fine, take your time.

Presumably you didn't do this with uncontrolled diabetes though?

OP, running is amazing. But don't risk your health for it. Get your diabetes back under control. Get a proper training plan under your belt. Book in for a different race.

All the gungho people telling you to go for it likely know sweet f* a* about diabetes.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    Its still possible and you are being realistic about your goals. Try jeff galoway training plans for walk/run. You will be fine just take it easy and enjoy the ride.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You've had issues with managing your diabetes to the point that training has suffered.
    In the absence of the necessary endurance you are taking an additional risk.

Consider this:
    Diabet Med. 2010 May;27(5):585-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.02969.x.

Risks of marathon running and hypoglycaemia in Type 1 diabetes.

Graveling AJ1, Frier BM.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Exercise-induced hypoglycaemia is common in people with insulin-treated diabetes and if severe can provoke neurological morbidity including coma and seizures. Depending on the duration and demands of the physical activity, various strategies can be used to limit the risk of hypoglycaemia with strenuous exercise. However, metabolic events occurring in the 48 h before the exercise can influence the risk and responses to exercise-induced hypoglycaemia.

CASE REPORT:

A 27-year-old man with Type 1 diabetes suffered an episode of nocturnal hypoglycaemia which provoked a tonic-clonic seizure. Despite this he ran in a marathon the following day during which he collapsed with severe hypoglycaemia and a further associated seizure. He subsequently developed severe myalgia accompanied by a pronounced and persistent elevation of plasma creatine kinase, indicating rhabdomyolysis, and deranged liver function, suggestive of hypoxic hepatitis. The biochemical abnormalities and symptoms lasted for several weeks.

CONCLUSIONS:

The case highlights the dangers of intense and prolonged physical exercise following severe hypoglycaemia, demonstrating the risks of acute damage to skeletal muscle and to organs such as the liver, in addition to the risk of severe neuroglycopenia and the induction of seizures. The mechanisms underlying these problems are discussed. People with insulin-treated diabetes should be advised not to undertake prolonged intensive exercise after severe hypoglycaemia.

Talk to your doctor.

If you insist in doing it - carry the necessary material to deal with a hypo incident. Have a someone with you that can deal should you go into shock.

I wouldn't do it - I'd prepare a little more for something later. Sometimes it's better to step back to leap further.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon? This isn't an ultra-marathon, for crying out loud, it's 13.1 miles. I've run races that distance beside non-runners who were otherwise in good shape but didn't train for the race at all, or had only run as far as 3 or 4 miles. Since I run/walk in intervals so did they. Yes, I had to coax them along through part of it when they got tired. Yes, they were tired and sore the next day but it's certainly doable.

The plain fact of the matter is you can WALK a half marathon at a 3.5 mile pace in under 4 hours. She's not going to "die" if she does this. Would you really tell someone who's in reasonable shape that they shouldn't walk that far or for that long or run for some and walk the rest? Someone who was running 4 miles straight several weeks ago can easily pull that off. I see no need to discourage her from giving this a try given that she could simply walk the distance if running it turns out to be a problem.

The OP says her blood sugar issues are now under control. Well, she's got five weeks of training to discover if that's really true or not. Telling her she's going to "die" trying this is just plain silly. Discouraging her from giving it a try is unfair.

OP, if you're serious about wanting to do this and working out a training plan, message me with the details on your current fitness level (once you get a chance to get out there and determine how you're feeling) and I'll help you the best I can.

I have. Does that make my viewpoint more or less valid?

this is a silly argument. A few weeks of better sugar is NOT controlled diabetes. It's slightly more managed diabetes. There's a massive difference.

And she should do this for what? So the OP can say she can? Half marathons are a dime a dozen. There are loads of opportunities for the OP to run, when the diabetes is better controlled, and she's had a chance to train properly.

I love running. But I love health more.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm not sure about this. I've trained in 8 weeks before and it was brutal. I did NOT enjoy myself at all on race day. 5 weeks is really really pushing it, especially if you have health issues.

I would see if your registration fee can be used for a future race and train properly. You'll enjoy it so much more if you're better prepared.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    You've had issues with managing your diabetes to the point that training has suffered.
    In the absence of the necessary endurance you are taking an additional risk.

Talk to your doctor.

If you insist in doing it - carry the necessary material to deal with a hypo incident. Have a someone with you that can deal should you go into shock.

I wouldn't do it - I'd prepare a little more for something later. Sometimes it's better to step back to leap further.

Sensible and measured response.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon?

*raises hand*

It wasn't a good time - I was not at all prepared to spend 3.5 hours on my feet, despite having done a TM about 6 months prior that took closer to 5 hours and that went okay (as I was much more trained for it - and a lot of that time is waiting at obstacles and not actually walking or running). I'd also run a 10k and a 12k (the latter about 4 months prior) and then a hip injury, the heat, and a health issue (not diabetes) meant that by the time I ran the half I'd only just gotten back up to running 5 miles for my long run.

I also wasn't prepared nutritionally at all and I didn't know that even a few ounces of sports drink was going to give me reflux issues so I was relying on using it during the race and then found out that I couldn't while I was out there. (In my defense, I do know better - but I showed up that morning thinking I was running a 10k and found out that I'd screwed up the day so I didn't have anything to eat or drink except what was handed out on the course).

By the way, I'm amused by the fact that a bunch of people were all "pff, a half, anyone can do that untrained" and then you immediately turned and assumed that none of us mean ole naysayers had ever done one. Are we not anyone?

Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it a good idea.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't decide to enter a HM until I came in from my morning run the day before. I opened the paper a thought that looks like fun and I think I can do it. It just so happens that my weight reduction running was great training for a half. I was doing 3 miles and weights MWF and 6 miles Tue, Thurs. Sunday I would run 10 miles. Adding three miles was not enough to make it too hard. I would get some miles in and do at least one 10 mile two weeks prior. If you feel bad or are hurting be prepared to call it a day.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    you gonna die.

ded srs.

cancel the race and see if they'll put your fees towards next year's event. and don't feel bad either. you were ill. succumbing to illness is NOT the same as slacking off in training. take some time to start slowing increasing your training to make sure that your medical issues are under control, and then hit up an appropriate race when you're satisfied that, you know, you ain't gonna die

This. All of this. Trying to do it is not a good idea.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon?

Me.

And there some of the advice to not do this is coming from people with far more experience. I think you're trying to talk this person into an injury, and at best your advice is irresponsible.
    Options

Me.

And there some of the advice to not do this is coming from people with far more experience. I think you're trying to talk this person into an injury, and at best your advice is irresponsible.

And me. Coming up on my 5th actually. But no idea what I'm talking about. Carry on.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you feel bad or are hurting be prepared to call it a day.

No question about it, I would never push myself beyond what I feel is possible. I was expecting more posts like yours, with a plan but with understanding that I'm educated, and have been diabetic for 12 years -- I listen to my body, always.

To the post with that research (aka single anecdote), it's pretty much completely unrelated. I hardly ever have low blood sugar, and have never had a seizure. If I were to have a seizure the day before a race, it's safe to say that's one of those moments when I'd know when to say when :wink:

To review: My diabetes is controlled, I'll be training, run/walking, not pushing, listening to my body, and reaching a conclusion as the race gets closer....can anyone tell me what's so dangerous about that plan?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    At least keep a reasonable training schedule, or even the training could knock you out badly. Shortened training schedules injures many, inadequate training schedules injures other during the race.
    You have better potential for both.

But following the 10% increase rule, and doing jog / walk intervals (suggest 2 min : 2 min so at least 50% jog time on the long runs, 4:2 on medium, perhaps straight slow on the short runs).
    This would normally be for half-marathon in 10 weeks with a desired 2 hr finish time. You should start at top since only 4 miles, and nothing in several weeks done.
    And this is by minutes of time, not distance, from a coach. Don't worry about the distance until the week before, then see what your long run is giving you and if that's enough to make it safe.
    3 x weekly only so not too much stress. The long run is the one getting the increases mostly. Increase more than this and just asking for injury.

30 + 30 + 29 = 89 weekly minutes
    38 + 30 + 30 = 98
    48 + 30 + 30 = 108
    59 + 30 + 30 = 119
    61 + 40 + 30 = 131
    64 + 50 + 30 = 144
    68 + 60 + 30 = 158
    84 + 60 + 30 = 174
    101 + 60 + 30 = 191
    120 + 60 + 30 = 210

This should not be all out as fast as you can go, burning through glucose stores, but easy even with jog/walk intervals to encourage fat burning.

I'd say just stick to realistic training routine, and see if it's safe.
    If it's not, chalk up experience of not registering too far in advance for event, even if it is cheaper and you like the idea of big goals to work towards. May not be the best with health issues.

And I'll add, the only 3 half-marathons I've done were precisely because of sickness or injury interfering with the training for doing the marathon, so the half was actually the shortened distance and loss of money already paid to the marathon price. And it was usually 5 weeks training available, but with a much better base to build on.
    Options
    [/quote]
    can anyone tell me what's so dangerous about that plan?
    [/quote]

It's a decent plan if your goal is simply to finish or try. I would rather enjoy and do well at something I spend $100 or more registering for, rather than just barely making it through. I guess it comes down to your motivations. I think you would enjoy yourself and be happier with your results if you had more time to prepare.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Me too, lots of times, and also two full marathons.

Also I DNFed a half once that I ran when I was ill. In my defense, I didn't know I had a virus when I started running it or I wouldn't have done it, but the passing out, shock-induced hypothermia, sprained ankle and two months of post-viral fatigue were no fun at all.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I don't even know how many times in total I've run this distance. I ran this distance 4 times last month and did a 14 mile run Sunday. 15 mile run this weekend.

I say she shouldn't do it till she's in better shape, unless she wants to do a 4 hour walk.