The little things that pi$$ me off :-P

Options
#1) I hate the look I get when I order something healthy and then when I decline the bread or side item it comes with, they look at me like I'm crazy and say "well...it comes with the meal, it's not extra", and when I assure them that I am aware of this, they continue to just stare at me as if they are waiting for me to say yes to it before completing my order. HELLO! I just order everything with no sauces, substituted everything with whole wheat and you are surprised I don't want the side item that probably contains more calories than half the stuff I ordered? I don't care if it's free, I don't want to be tempted, so I choose to not take it.

#2) When people roll their eyes after I explain why I won't eat something or say "What's the point of eating like that", referring to my daily health food choices. Ok, soooo maybe I'm not obese, or even that overweight, but it doesn't mean I can run around in a bathing suit care free either, things look a lot different as you peel away the layers my friend. And second; what do you mean "what's the point", I won't stay young forever and would like to take care of myself now so I'm healthier as my body gets older. What's the point of not eating healthy??

#3) When people say "OHH, everyone is just so worried about health these days, it's ridicules. If people survived back in the day, it's fine now.” OK...uhhhm...where do I start. Well way "back in the day", people had an average life expectancy of something a lot lower than we do now. They also grew their own food, organically, which is why they probably seemed healthier in some ways. Moving forward in time; people starting living longer due to the discovery of new drugs and other general health issues which prolonged life expectancy. Unfortunately there was also the discovery of fast food and ways to preserve food so it lasts a ridiculously long time. Due to the rapid change in eating habits, random ingredients and the rising popularity in fast food "back in the day", we now have a high rate in child hood obesity, diabetes, heart disease, ect. So maybe this wasn’t noticed “back in the day” when we all started to eat this way, but as you can see from current medical journals and news reports, it has surely taken us in an unhealthy direction.

What bugs you guys the most when trying to diet/eat healthy around others.

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Amen!!

What bugs me is when I make a healthy choice and people scoff at me (like you said in #1) and if they look at me like I'm an idiot and say "you don't need to lose weight" - well yes, I know this, but I want to be HEALTHY gosh-darnit. SO I literally have the same things as you do!
  • shannon3
    shannon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you!

I'm home for the holidays and when I'm at school I can control the food that's around me because I have my own place. Here, what bugs me the most is my mom buying things like chocolate covered raisins for me, knowing I'm watching what I eat, and NO ONE else in my house eats them! And I HATE wasting food : ( Then she gets upset when I don't eat them. It's sweet that she thinks about me while she's shopping, but frustrating that she doesn't understand my lifestyle change.
  • JGCowboy
    Options
    What bugs me is the fact that others just don't care. However, little to they think about it now, but their life expectancy is only going to get shorter, their chances of disease will only go up etc. The bottom line is that I just stick to it, stay strong and realize that my goal may not be what they see as a goal, but I am reaching for health, to feel good and LONGEVITY. If people look at you like that, then they are not very educated or considerate. Now, in high school I did work at the Dairy Queen and I would get orders for Triple Burgers with bacon and the kitchen sink attached, fries, onion rings, etc and even ice cream to go with it ALL of which was topped off with a Large Diet Coke. Now, in that situation, I just had to laugh as if the diet coke offset the rest of the grease and junk! :sick:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I went to my favorite deli restuarant that sells the yummy sweet tea. I asked for sweet tea in the small-8 ounce. She told me it cost the same as the 16 ounce cup. I told her I am aware!! She looked at me like I was from another planet!
  • KimKan
    Options
    I hate when people ask me if I'm too good to eat their food. I am overweight and do have some health problems and I am allergic to some things, so I can't say yes to alot of what they cook.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Small things for me...when I mention my eating habits, or decline certain foods/things, I get the eye roll and people saying "you look amazing, it's not like you need to lose weight, you can eat whatever you want! Stop being such a ***** and eat with us!" and people tend to just diss healthy eating unless they're doing it themselves. I've been accused so far as to being told I have an eating disorder just for counting/watching my calories and declining lunches at italian restaurants(where I'm expected/demanded to eat stuffed pasta, bread, dessert and salad as part of a coupon deal, btw).

My mother is a HORRIBLE yo-yo dieter, she's 50 now and has been Obese for my entire living memory and has been eating bad foods, not exercising, and then taking pills, ridiculous diets, and hormonal supplements to make her lose weight, FAST for the whole 30 years that she's been overweight. She's currently trying to lose 50 pounds. In a month. With the use of synthetic weight-loss hormones to trick her body into dropping all the fat. She did it before also, and it worked, then she immediately gained it all back. She never actually exercises, eats out all the time, she starts a workout video and then stops 5 minutes into it and yells at anyone who'll listen that it's too hard and she's "too old and fat" to even try to keep up with that nonsense. Her attitude is horrible when it comes to diet, exercise, and just caring for her body.
    I love my mother, but her example when it comes to health is a very poor one. She drives me nuts and is often trying to force me to eat out with her and my dad, and then tries to make me eat the worst food on the menu(what she's having), and if I don't she starts to cry/whine and say I don't love her and I must think she's a fat pig if I have the audacity to "diet" in front of her while she's not dieting also. It usually ends up with me being yelled at and us not talking for a few days afterward.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Right on! Preach it, girl! You've said it all - I've got nothin to add
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    We need to come up with a fun name for ourselves, a one word title (rather than healthy eater or nutrition fiend) so when someone asks why we are eating like that we can proudly say "I am ___________". Not knowing what this word means you can advise that individual and pretend like it is they that are out to lunch on modern day thought and behavior. Kind of like the title ‘vegetarian’ or ‘vegan’ which are easy to say and most people don’t want to ask why – they don’t want a lecture on animal rights or environmental protection but being truthful in case we get busted eating meat. Hmmmmmm... I shall dwell on this idea for a while. Suggestions accepted ;)

EDIT: ideas as they come to mind….

I’m a;

Hec: healthy eating conscious person

Ok TM, copy write whatever that’s sooo it for me (will change my FB status when I get home from work, lol!) just wait, a hec will be the new word, it will be the new Brangelina, the new GTL, just wait ;) HA HA!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My pet peeves?

When people look at my plate and ask "Is THAT all you're having?" DUH
    People who know you are "dieting" keep offering you sweets. Talk about waving the red flag in front of the bull!!!
    Plus the one in the restaurant when you make a "special" order and you get the "look".
  • nicoleslaw01
    Options
    CherokeeBabe ~ I hear ya! I hate it when people get mad at me for not eating or they say "oh, you can cheat, just this once", it's like, thanks for the support, NOT! Keep at it, it sounds like you have an amazing attitude, especially with the challenges that surroud you.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Preach it! Took the words right outta my mouth!!!!!! I always get the infamous "Why are you eating healthy? You're so thin." Ummm, how do you think I got/stay this way sweetheart?????
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    my friends try to guilt me into drinking with them ALL the time. I mean they are Germans but still....every weekend? Also my mom thinks calorie counting is a sign of anorexia and since i have had binging/laxatives/diet pills/ borderline eating disorder problems before she sees this as another fad that is going to potentially take over my life. lol. im a grownup now mommy. My mom used to be the best heath role model ever but the past 7 years with my stepdad and she has Let herself go.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I always get the infamous "Why are you eating healthy? You're so thin." Ummm, how do you think I got/stay this way sweetheart?????

YES! This!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The other night while at a family function one of the aunts followed me around and said in the snarkiest tones..."I am going to eat what you eat so I can be skinny too" That would have been fine if she did indeed take heed in what I was eating but she didn'.she giggled and made the exact same plate of salad etc as I did then asked "Is this all you ever eat?" I said "No, I will have A piece of pizza and then finish off the crusts of all my kids' pizzas. I am going to have 6 chips with some quacamole too....But before I came I ate very sensibly and ran 5 miles...."she then snorted and laughed and said that is too much work...she would rather not. I didn't ask her to comment or ask me. I didn't comment on her food. I didn't question her exercise choice or diet choices so why are mine up for discussion?????
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I get annoyed with my friends sometimes. I am trying really hard to eat healthier, I've started exercising for the first time in 20 years (literally), and I do want to lose 15-ish pounds. I have friends saying things like "I hate you - you're already so skinny" and "Shut up and eat - you make me sick". Yes, I'm 5'3" and yes I'm 130 lbs. But, I've not been taking care of myself and I need to be healthy. Why can't they just be my friend and support this decision to live a healthier lifestyle, instead of making snarky comments while they shove those cupcakes in?
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump - great thread.

I hate it when people who never exercise like to dispense exercise advice. My brother and his girlfriend, each about 80 lbs overweight, like to tell me how running is so bad for your knees. Oh, so that's why you choose diabetes, liver disease and harden arteries as a lifestyle. (I'm so mean.)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I get comments such as "just eat, you can go back to starving yourself tomorrow" or "you feel full off this meal because your body isn't used to eating, you starve yourself every other day" etc.
    My in-laws are always insinuating that i have an eating disorder, which i do NOT. I have a very healthy relationship with food. I eat, all the time. I just eat what I'm supposed to and I workout.

I also get the "why are you dieting? you're thin" & ... that's how i got this way ladies and gentlemen. I didn't just wakeup with a nice body after having twins 2 years ago. I WORK for it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I hate it when people who never exercise like to dispense exercise advice.

Yes! This too! This morning I was on the treadmill and tried to get the DH to get on one too and he actually said he doesn't need to, he only needs to do situps (to get rid of the spare tire/big belly).
    I tried telling him you can't spot reduce fat and he needs cardio, or he'd just have nice abs completely hidden under a bunch of fat, and he got all mad and told me I to shut up because I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Little things that piss me off:
    1. I get the, "oh are you a snob?" look when I refuse to eat my inlaws cooking or refuse to go to a cheap pizza or fast food place with them. I'm obviously overweight. I got here by eating crap. I don't want to eat crap any more. Stop giving me a hard time about it. I don't want to have major health problems like my inlaws. Colon cancer, blood clots to where you lose a limb, diabetes, heart problems... etc. I explained that to them citing examples that were sitting around the table... like talking to a brick wall.
    2. Super thin women complaining that they have to lose more weight... Really? Working out 3 times a day and eating a lettuce leaf and you are still not happy? Some of the girls at work look like they come out of a concentration camp.
    3. Same as the lady mentioned above. I dont want the side dishes or soup or salad. Can't you take no for an answer? I would think you would be happy because there is less to clean up. Portion control is a big problem in this country. The restaurants don't help by pushing bread and sides.
    4. My inlaws and others saying, "oh stop saying your fat, you look fine." No I don't look fine. One thigh is bigger than most people's two arms put together. Im a size 14/16 and weight 210 lbs.. That's fat. What pisses me off even more is that I know they talk about it and me behind my back. Yeah, I heard it. Happened at Christmas.. Nice present huh?
    So those are my gripes ... thanks for "listening".
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I hate when I hear "Just this once won't hurt you." YES IT WILL! I plan my calories. I choose what I want. If I choose what YOU want then my plan is completely screwed. If I let that happen enough then I might as well go get my fat pants back out of the donation box. Have you noticed that it's rarely someone at a healthy weight who says that?