"1 cup of water"

Options
I have been trying to keep track of my water intake on here.
What do you consider a cup of water when logging? Exactly one cup? 16oz? 12oz??

Curious to know your thoughts and how you log it.

Replies

• kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    8 oz
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    .. srsly?

When is a cup not a cup?
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also, a nalgene is marked so you know how much water you're drinking-I suggest getting one so that you aren't guessing, they're great.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    1 cup is 8 fl. oz.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    8oz=1 cup.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Always has been and always will be 8 ounces. That's why my 16 oz Ozarka is easy to count. I just count by 2's, makes it a breeze!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to be rude, just surprised at how often this question is asked. If someone asked how much a 'glass' of water counted, then I could understand that question. But asking how much a 'cup' of water is, doesn't make sense to me.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    1 Cup = 2 Gills
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I'm not stupid i understand that a cup is 8 oz. But I didn't know if people actually measured it out or if they counted it as one still when using a normal sized drinking glass which usually holds closer to 12-16oz.

Thanks for being rude.
    People don't ask questions to be belittled ...
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just ignore, people on this site don't always feel the need to be kind.

I just estimate since I know how much the glass holds. If I drink 12 oz and mark 1 cup, then the next time I drink 12 oz I might mark 2 cups. Truth be told, I haven't been tracking water in a long time. But I agree with the other posters who mentioned using a sports water bottle that comes with markings on the side. I have one that holds 16oz and one that holds 22oz, so I just know I have to drink 2 or 3 per day depending on which one I am drinking from.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not stupid i understand that a cup is 8 oz. But I didn't know if people actually measured it out or if they counted it as one still when using a normal sized drinking glass which usually holds closer to 12-16oz.

Thanks for being rude.

There are no stupid questions. There are only ignorant people on forums full of a**holes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This question never ceases to amaze me. And it just keeps getting asked. I understand people in countries where they use the metric system, that people may not know what a cup is, but do they no longer teach this in school in the US?

Apparently not, and google is broken.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yeesh - I knew 1 'cup' was 8 fl. oz in baking and stuff, but I have been trying to go by my 'container', figuring it was around 8 anyway, and trying to get 8 a day but forgetting and bumming out. And I just looked, and my container is 16oz, so it's nice to know that even when I 'only' have 4 a day I am still reaching my goal!

It really is a eureka moment right now lol. My only excuse apart from a brainfart is that I was brought up in England which uses mls and grams etc. (though I always hated that system, and much prefer cups and oz for practical use so it isn't even an excuse lol).

Check your containers people!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Just ignore, people on this site don't always feel the need to be kind.

I just estimate since I know how much the glass holds. If I drink 12 oz and mark 1 cup, then the next time I drink 12 oz I might mark 2 cups. Truth be told, I haven't been tracking water in a long time. But I agree with the other posters who mentioned using a sports water bottle that comes with markings on the side. I have one that holds 16oz and one that holds 22oz, so I just know I have to drink 2 or 3 per day depending on which one I am drinking from.

Thanks. I've been counting our regular glasses as just one but I guess its closer to 1.5.
    I suck at drinking so I've been trying to keep better track.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My "cup" is actually 16 oz so when I log it on MFP, I still only put it as one "cup" but technically it's double. Works for me.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No one belittled you that I can tell, your question was poorly constructed and led to confusion. You read their tone as critical when most were being pretty straight forward and blunt based on the context. You should have used the word "glass" or "mug" not cup. Cup is a form of measurement in your context. A cup is 8fl oz. I was also unsure until your second post whether you knew that a cup is 8fl oz and not 12 or 16.

I use a 16oz glass. I count 2 cups for every glass I drink. My tea mug which is about 335mL or 1.4 cups I tend to count as one cup because I often refill my tea before its empty- and really, when is drinking more calories-free fluids than you log a bad thing.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How much is a teaspoon? pleeease help.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I consider a cup 8 oz. so if your glass holds 12 oz drink two and you have completed 3 cups of water. If it's 16, then you have had 2 glasses of water. Also, I count a regular sized bottle of water as 2. Hope this helps.

ETA when MFP is counting it's going by 8oz cups, for a total of 64oz of water in a day. that's the general rule of thumb. However, it's been suggested that you drink half your body weight in oz
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    250ml.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Thanks for being rude.

Well, you did ask what people consider a cup to be. If you meant to ask how people log a glass, that's a different question. And the interface in MFP that logs water states cups as the unit of measure.

So while I don't generally condone mocking people, I also don't condone getting in a snit because answering the question you really wanted answered in the first place would have required psychic abilities.