Obese and Flying

Options
13»

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    IMO-if its bothering you this much, do something about it. Use this "fear of flying" to motivate you.
    this might not be the most popular answer here-but I'm not about blowing smoke up peoples *kitten*. Being honest.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    One thing I will say is that you should get an aisle seat, even if you have to pay a few bucks more. I was seated next to an obese person on a plane recently and they were spilling into my seat. Of course, I didn't want to make them feel bad (I can only imagine they were already very self-conscious and not enjoying the experience themselves), but it wasn't pleasant to have a stranger touching me the entire flight. I think I hid it well, but I was miserable. Honestly, I did wish the person would at least apologize, but I understood that maybe they were too embarrassed.

I REALLY hope you have someone considerate next to you, but please be aware that even if they are petite, it's unpleasant to have a stranger crowding you and touching you. As someone petite, tall/obese/bigger people often usurp my personal space because they seem to think I don't "need it" as much as they do, even though I am paying just as much for my seat/space. What I mean is, just have some empathy for whoever is next to you, and I truly hope they do the same for you. If you can get an aisle seat and try to distribute your bulk (sorry, don't know how else to phrase it) more into the aisle when possible, it would be better.

Really, if you can afford it, you should just purchase 2 seats ahead of time. Your coworkers won't have to know that you bought 2. They will just assume that the seat next to you wasn't purchased at all.

Best of luck!!

Ok. I'm sorry. I'm going to be the one to say this. Rude. You're telling this young woman who has stated her height and weight, to buy two seats. Yes, by BMI standards, she is obese. So am I. If I sat on a plane next to you, I wouldn't spill over into a seat next to you. I'm 5'8 and 222lbs. To look at me walking down the street, most people think I weigh in the 160lbs to 180lbs range. They're shocked when I tell them what I do weigh. Matters not here. Point being, If this young woman fits in this seat comfortably, she's got every right to be in that seat just as much as you or anyone else does. The airline will tell a person if they need to purchase two seats, and I'd say the majority of people under 300lbs would never qualify for such.

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by someone who was obese, and that you are often inconvenienced by those who are tall/bigger/obese. You are right, you paid the same amount for the ticket. Everyone did. Just because you paid the same amount doesn't give you special privileges. It doesn't mean you get to ride in comfort. It gives you a seat from point A to point B. My husband has never had a comfortable flight, anywhere. The man is 6'6. His knees are in his chest in just about every flight he's taken. If there was someone obese next to him laying on him, it would be the least of his worries.

First world problems. We should all be so lucky.

To the OP: If the airline tells you, you need a second seat, get a second seat. If not, don't worry about it.

its NOT rude-its HONEST! Big difference.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    One thing I will say is that you should get an aisle seat, even if you have to pay a few bucks more. I was seated next to an obese person on a plane recently and they were spilling into my seat. Of course, I didn't want to make them feel bad (I can only imagine they were already very self-conscious and not enjoying the experience themselves), but it wasn't pleasant to have a stranger touching me the entire flight. I think I hid it well, but I was miserable. Honestly, I did wish the person would at least apologize, but I understood that maybe they were too embarrassed.

I REALLY hope you have someone considerate next to you, but please be aware that even if they are petite, it's unpleasant to have a stranger crowding you and touching you. As someone petite, tall/obese/bigger people often usurp my personal space because they seem to think I don't "need it" as much as they do, even though I am paying just as much for my seat/space. What I mean is, just have some empathy for whoever is next to you, and I truly hope they do the same for you. If you can get an aisle seat and try to distribute your bulk (sorry, don't know how else to phrase it) more into the aisle when possible, it would be better.

Really, if you can afford it, you should just purchase 2 seats ahead of time. Your coworkers won't have to know that you bought 2. They will just assume that the seat next to you wasn't purchased at all.

Best of luck!!

Ok. I'm sorry. I'm going to be the one to say this. Rude. You're telling this young woman who has stated her height and weight, to buy two seats. Yes, by BMI standards, she is obese. So am I. If I sat on a plane next to you, I wouldn't spill over into a seat next to you. I'm 5'8 and 222lbs. To look at me walking down the street, most people think I weigh in the 160lbs to 180lbs range. They're shocked when I tell them what I do weigh. Matters not here. Point being, If this young woman fits in this seat comfortably, she's got every right to be in that seat just as much as you or anyone else does. The airline will tell a person if they need to purchase two seats, and I'd say the majority of people under 300lbs would never qualify for such.

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by someone who was obese, and that you are often inconvenienced by those who are tall/bigger/obese. You are right, you paid the same amount for the ticket. Everyone did. Just because you paid the same amount doesn't give you special privileges. It doesn't mean you get to ride in comfort. It gives you a seat from point A to point B. My husband has never had a comfortable flight, anywhere. The man is 6'6. His knees are in his chest in just about every flight he's taken. If there was someone obese next to him laying on him, it would be the least of his worries.

To the OP: If the airline tells you, you need a second seat, get a second seat. If not, don't worry about it.

I'm an honest person too, and yeah, it's quite rude. But I'm going to give the poster credit where credit is due for not just voicing her disdain until she got on a public forum and spared the person in question the shame and embarrassment they were probably already feeling. Manners and tact, they're lost to so many.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Last time I flew (a little over a year ago) I was probably 370-380. I needed a seatbelt extender, but I didn't have any problems with the "two seat" thing. The only thing is… is that they won't seat you in an emergency aisle and let you assist other passengers in case of an emergency evacuation if you need an extender. But personally, I didn't find that a very big deal. I'm also an apple shape and my hips/thighs are definitely not where I carry my weight. It's cramped. But it's an airplane… and I'm 5'10'. I just assume it will be cramped!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    There are a handful of travelers that get very snarky about their personal space. Check out the recent news about diverted flights from reclined seats for some good examples. I've read (but can't confirm) that larger passengers have been asked to change seats or were kicked off a flight due to complaints from their neighbors. Never had that experience personally.

^This! I have flown extensively. Though I haven't flown as an obese person, I have to say even as a smaller person, there are some real jerks out there. I don't want this to discourage you, but to make you realize if someone is being a jerk about their personal space, it probably isn't personal to you. It's hard not to take it personal. I've had people sitting next to me who simply hated the fact that there was another human being sitting so close to them. It didn't matter how big or small I was. Don't worry, your flight will be fine no matter your needs! Just ignore the jerks if you happen to come across any :/
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

Best of luck!!

I'm an honest person too, and yeah, it's quite rude. But I'm going to give the poster credit where credit is due for not just voicing her disdain until she got on a public forum and spared the person in question the shame and embarrassment they were probably already feeling. Manners and tact, they're lost to so many.

IMO the poster used tact-but I'm not going to argue that point. I will say EVERYONE has a right to their opinion and to the seat they paid for. But evidently if the person next to us is over weight we're not supposed to say anything if they are impeding on 'our' space" which to me is BS

I have this problem all the time, inconsiderate flyers that take the arm rest never thinking about the person next to them. Skinny, fat or otherwise. Common courtesy is lacking in general-regardless of size race or religion.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    LOL @ people thinking they can preserve their precious "personal" space in a flying sardine can. LOL
  • Wyld_Stallyns
    Wyld_Stallyns Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Best of luck!!

What I said wasn't rude at all. She stated that she was concerned about being forced to buy 2 seats and thus being embarrassed in front of her co-workers. My suggestion to that was that she could purchase 2 ahead of time to avoid that situation, if she could afford it. I wasn't saying she should do it because of the person next to her.

The issue I addressed about being mindful of the person next to her if she happens to spill into their seat was a separate issue.

>> I'm 5'8 and 222lbs. To look at me walking down the street, most people think I weigh in the 160lbs to 180lbs range. They're shocked when I tell them what I do weigh.

No idea what that has to do with the conversation... but... okay? Cool story.

If you're meaning to imply that I can't know the dimensions of her body just based on her weight - yeah, obviously. She's the one who stated she was worried about fitting into a seat. I never tried to predict if she would or wouldn't.

>>Just because you paid the same amount doesn't give you special privileges.

I'm not talking about special privileges. I'm talking about my allotted seat space. Everyone has paid the same amount for a set amount of space. A person who pays for a set amount of space is then entitled to it - my opinion. "Special privileges" would be wanting more space than you bought, in fact wanting space that *someone else* bought, because you happen to want/need more. When I'm in a situation where someone genuinely needs more space, space that I paid for, then I give it to them without fuss, but that doesn't mean it's pleasant.

>>I'm going to be the one to say this. Rude.

You're not the "brave" person who decided to "step up and be the one to say this". You are simply the only person who didn't understand what I was saying. I was talking to her about the subject she raised. I did it respectfully and honestly. You can disagree with someone without name-calling. I hope you learn that someday.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Best of luck!!

What I said wasn't rude at all. She stated that she was concerned about being forced to buy 2 seats and thus being embarrassed in front of her co-workers. My suggestion to that was that she could purchase 2 ahead of time to avoid that situation, if she could afford it. I wasn't saying she should do it because of the person next to her.

The issue I addressed about being mindful of the person next to her if she happens to spill into their seat was a separate issue.

>> I'm 5'8 and 222lbs. To look at me walking down the street, most people think I weigh in the 160lbs to 180lbs range. They're shocked when I tell them what I do weigh.

If you're meaning to imply that I can't know the dimensions of her body just based on her weight - yeah, obviously. She's the one who stated she was worried about fitting into a seat. I never tried to predict if she would or wouldn't.

I'm not talking about special privileges. I'm talking about my allotted seat space. Everyone has paid the same amount for a set amount of space. A person who pays for a set amount of space is then entitled to it - my opinion. "Special privileges" would be wanting more space than you bought, in fact wanting space that *someone else* bought, because you happen to want/need more. When I'm in a situation where someone genuinely needs more space, space that I paid for, then I give it to them without fuss, but that doesn't mean it's pleasant.

You're not the "brave" person who decided to "step up and be the one to say this". You are simply the only person who didn't understand what I was saying. I was talking to her about the subject she raised. I did it respectfully and honestly. You can disagree with someone without name-calling. I hope you learn that someday.
    It's not name-calling. It's an opinion. You have yours, others have the right to consider your opinion rude.

You don't pay to be comfortable on the plane unless you fly first class or on your own private jet. You pay to get from point A to B - period.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Best of luck!!

Bless your heart. Reading comprehension fail. Nowhere did I call YOU a name. However, I did outright say that your post was rude. Do I stand by this? Absolutely. It completely lacked tact. Do I think I'm some brave person by saying so? No. I'm just the person who felt the need to say so. The reason I stated my height and weight is because, yes- you hit the nail on the head! It's hard to tell by simply the given stats of a person whether or not they *are* going to fit in a seat, or what they really *look* like. You automatically assumed this woman needed two seats, and that she was going to be spilling over into the next seat, and that you hoped she had someone "sympathetic" sitting next to her. How do we even know for sure she'll be "spilling over" into the next seat? This is simply a concern of hers as an overweight/obese person.

Many overweight/obese people have concerns/insecurities. Unless you actually *see* the person with your own eyes- and yes, a photograph may suffice, it's impossible to know whether or not this person, or any person for that matter is going to fit into a seat, and even then, it's iffy. As for you saying you never "said" you never tried to predict whether or not she would "fit" in a seat or not- this quote right here speaks volumes otherwise, but hey, that's just me:
    "If you can get an aisle seat and try to distribute your bulk (sorry, don't know how else to phrase it) more into the aisle when possible, it would be better.

Really, if you can afford it, you should just purchase 2 seats ahead of time. Your coworkers won't have to know that you bought 2. They will just assume that the seat next to you wasn't purchased at all. "

That to me seems like you've pretty much all but said, yeah, you're not gonna fit, sister, buy those two seats, and that aisle seat- distribute your "bulk" a little better so no one has to be inconvenienced by your body. Seriously. Re-read what you wrote. Do you honestly NOT see anything wrong with this? You really don't find it offensive, and blatantly rude? At the VERY least, lacking tact?

Let's be honest here, how many people are comfortable on a flight- regardless of size. Like I'd mentioned earlier, my husband who is 6'6, is miserable on nearly every flight. He's crunched up like a sardine. I'm 5'8, and my knees aren't very comfortable on any flight. I've never paid any attention one way or another if a person beside of me was thin, obese, or otherwise, I just want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible and LIVE. We all pay for a ticket, unless you're on a luxury airline, we're probably all in misery in the small tin can in the sky. Why make things harder for anyone? Unless a person is TRULY taking up the size of two seats, or fully spilling over into the other seat so badly that it's endangering their own safety and the safety of the other passenger, there's just no need for two seats to be purchased.

No one is comfortable on the bus, or the transit. Everyone pays for their fares to get on those. They're all equally miserable. They're all trying to get from point A to point B, and make it there alive. Let's worry less about how comfortable we all are, and just be thankful that we CAN do these things. Again I say, first world problems. We should all be so lucky.
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am 368 pounds, 5'6", and had no issue on my Southwest Flight from Albuquerque to Nashville last week. I needed a seatbelt extender, but since I could get the arms down with no problem, there wasn't an issue. They didn't even bring it up, even though it was a completely full flight.

As soon as you get onto the plane, ask the attendant or a seatbelt extender. He or she will either hand you one there or bring it to you. I haven't had any issue with this at all. The extenders are huge; I only really needed an extra three inches (probably less?).

I also try to board as early as I can if it's a free-seating flight so that people can see where I am and avoid me if they need to. I personally decided to sit by the window so I could lean against the wall as much as possible and so no one would have to worry about getting past me if they needed to go to the bathroom.