5'8 with large frame---how much should I weigh??

Options

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with a large frame as well. I got down to 160 in the early spring, with an ultimate goal weight of 155, and then life, stress, summer happened and I took a break (and regained 15 lbs, totally my fault but still, ugh). I'm aiming for 155 so that I'll have 5 lbs of "buffer" before I hit warning bells at 160, but honestly, I'd be happy at 160. I do realize that I'll be at the top end of the BMI range, but I know from a past crazy diet experience, that even if I starve myself down to 145, I'll still never be smaller than a size 10. My hips and shoulders are simply just that wide, and as well - I'm strong and have muscles. I actually hated my body at 145 - I had no boobs or butt left - for the first time in my life, clothes fit me, off the rack, but naked, I felt like a 12 year old boy instead of a woman. YMMV.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Also - what kind of exercise are you doing? For the past week or so, I saw only treadmill walking. Yes, it's better than nothing, but it's not cardio. You may also want to investigate HIIT (high intensity interval training) as well as some strength training. For me, I found that cardio (jogging) would help take the weight off, but it was my boot camp class (HIIT) that really showed fast results.
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Getting quite frustrated at my lack of weight loss when i (obviously) have a lot to lose, and I'm working out like crazy and eating less than 1500 cals every day.

Maybe we're just slower to lose? Idk...but i understand the frustration. Add me if you wanna chat/vent/be friends!
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just a question - but do you actually have a large frame, or do you just think you do? Many people assume they have a large frame but discover that's not necessarily the case when they lose weight. And your frame size shouldn't impact your goals for reaching a healthy weight. According to wrist measurements, I have a borderline large frame; as you can see, it's possible to be lean and fit with a larger frame.

As for weight loss moving slowly, the more you lose, the harder it gets to drop more.
  • TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was 180ish all thru high school. Then at 20 and 21 I had children. Got up to around 225. Got divorced and started dieting for the first time in my life. Got most of the weight I gained from child bearing back off but always stayed around 185-190. Got married again weighing in at about 182. Had my 3rd child at 32 and got back up to around 220. Decided that wasn't gonna work so I started dieting again. Lowest Ive weighed EVER in my adult life was 168. Still shy of my goal. I know that getting to that weight was very hard and of course it was too hard to keep it there so ive gained back up to about 178-180 where I yo yo all the time. The harder I try it seems my body likes this weight, but I want this belly and thighs to GO AWAY!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Im a large frame 5'8. I have a goal of 160lbs. I try to eat 1300-1500 calories a day and exercise 30-60 min a day. The scales aint movin much. I was wondering if anyone else with my body type has this kind of trouble. Will my legs and butt ever get smaller...lol??
    Any tips on getting this last 20 lbs off??

Me too! I look not-so-good when I'm below that...my face looks gaunt and my ribs poke out.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely more about when you're happy with the way you look. I'm about your height and at 195, and when I tell people I still have 53 pounds to lose they think I'm absolutely batty. I carry it very well, but I'm not where I want to be. I'll stop at a higher weight if that's what suits me. I just don't know yet! There's no perfect number, just remember that...and it definitely comes off slow!!! Trust the process though.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and 42. I currently weigh 158. Looking to lower % of fat and drop +/- 8-9 pounds too. It's working well for me now and I eat net 1510 plus exercise calories - which means on an 8.5km trail run, I'll average 2100 calories. And I'm losing approx. .5 to 1 pound a week.

I have a feeling you are not eating enough, stalling your progress. Finding the right balance between calories in vs calories out is not always so simple. There's some great articles at the top of the discussion boards which may help you figure out actual calories to get you going again...
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame .. I'm 5'7 and 3/4 - so, close enough to 5'8. But I also just chose my "ultimate goal" of 145lbs absent mindedly by the middle of the road healthy weight..

I know, not much help, lol! Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5"8. I weigh 135 now, size small. I've been told i have a large frame. I started at 202 :-)
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm 5'7.5, and I'm currently 149. I found at 160 I was a lot too heavy (especially because I am bigger boned). I'm aiming for under 145lbs.
  • TaraHancock827
    Options
    I honestly only walk/jog. I have no strength training and no time to do it because id have to go to town and join a gym. I have the 2 year old and just walking on the treadmill and not spending time with her makes me feel a little guilty since I work all day, but I know I have to take care of myself too. I do take a break from exercise on Saturdays and I don't log everyday but I know what I can and cant eat so I log when I think I may be underestimating. Thanks for all the comments...it helps me feel like im not the only one...lol
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

This seems to be about the same as a chart my doctor gave me when anxiety took over and I was underweight.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 140's maybe 150. I eat 1660 calories a day
  • karenj_m
    Options
    I honestly only walk/jog. I have no strength training and no time to do it because id have to go to town and join a gym. I have the 2 year old and just walking on the treadmill and not spending time with her makes me feel a little guilty since I work all day, but I know I have to take care of myself too. I do take a break from exercise on Saturdays and I don't log everyday but I know what I can and cant eat so I log when I think I may be underestimating. Thanks for all the comments...it helps me feel like im not the only one...lol

I'm 5'8, started at 183 ....started P90x round 1 in April, lost 15 pounds, in round 2 now, down 11 more pounds so far. I have 5 more weeks to go. No starvation diets for this chick! First round I ate 1750-1800 calories per day, this round I dropped it 100 calories to 1650 (because you have to recalculate after losing a good amount of weight), and try to keep it very close. I'm shooting for 142 which is right in the middle of our BMI range. I do all this at home (NO I AM NOT A COACH).

Works for me, because I love to eat large portions of food (my biggest problem), so I work out hard, and only eat at a slight deficit. Keeps me from falling off the wagon :)

Karen
    PS: I religously log my food (correctly) .... <=== big key in weight loss. :)
  • TaraHancock827
    Options
    my wrist measurement is over 6.5 inches but not quite 6 3/4.
  • TaraHancock827
    Options
    Hey that's great!! I wish I had the desire to do p90x but I know I wouldn't stick to it for a long period of time and then I will gain back what I lost. Did the same thing with Tie-Boe back in the day and walking is the only thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. P90X is just a quick fix for some, but its not feasible to do it for a long long time. I had to find a way to exercise that wont kill me and burn me out, that way I can stick with it. Kudos to you for all ur hard work!! Thanks for sharing.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is 165, but not really stressing about the number on the scale. My wrist is 7" now at 180 lbs and it was 7" when I was 204 lbs. I have a large frame. I carry weight very evenly. I'm just trying to lower my body fat to see all my muscles. Whatever the scale lands on when that's accomplished is cool with me.
  • TaraHancock827
    Options
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Hey that link helped!! Says 160 wouldn't be too bad after all. Thank you!!
  • karenj_m
    Options
    There's always free stuff online like Fitness Blender....they have some great videos you follow along and it tells you the ballpark range of calories burned and how long the workout is: http://www.fitnessblender.com/

Karen
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!