Weights at home

Options
SO I am just barely beginning to lift (free) weights. I do this at home, and I make sure I have good form. I've started with 7 lbs dumbbells that I usually combine to make 14 lbs. I want to know when I should start getting heavier weights. I workout about 4 times a week and I've had them almost 3 weeks.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    -What exercises are you doing?

-What are your goals?

As a beginner, assuming you're doing anything that resembles actual strength training, you're going to need to be following an actual program. And you're going to be moving up in weights frequently. As in weekly.

Your question is impossible to answer without having to ask you a ton of questions.
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do squats, weighted lunges, sumo squats, lateral raises, dead-lifts, curls, and kickbacks. I did 2 sets of eight reps of each in the beginning and steadily increased my reps and number of sets. I know I have to get heavier weights ( which I am doing this weekend), but I wanted to know how often I should be switching up.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I do squats, weighted lunges, sumo squats, lateral raises, dead-lifts, curls, and kickbacks. I did 2 sets of eight reps of each in the beginning and steadily increased my reps and number of sets. I know I have to get heavier weights ( which I am doing this weekend), but I wanted to know how often I should be switching up.

Adding reps does nothing other than give you more of a cardio workout. It does nothing to stimulate the muscles. You will want to switch to more compound based exercises to start.

You need to be following an actual program. And yes you will be moving up in weight on a weekly basis. In the beginning, you'll be moving up every workout or every other workout.
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend getting a gym membership? This is something I could do. Would that be more economical than buying new weights every week?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Would you recommend getting a gym membership? This is something I could do. Would that be more economical than buying new weights every week?

A gym membership is a great option but not necessarily a requirement. A lot of people do just fine at home. You just need access to a variety of weights is all, and you need it right from the go. Not picking up another set as you need them.

My recommendation? If you want to stick to working out at home, pick up some kind of adjustable bench and a set of Powerblock dumbbells--the ones that go to 50 lbs. Do not settle for less than that. It sounds like a lot but I think you'll find you're surprised how quickly you move up in weight when following an actual, organized program. Most people--even petite women--outgrow lesser weights rather quickly when following an organized program.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership and I don't buy weights every week..

I bought a few bars, a bench and about 200lbs in plates...I have added in about another 150 with gifts etc.

All told my weights have cost me about 300$ this year...where as a gym membership for me and my husband is 1200 a year.

But yes you need to up the weight significantly.

Check out SL summary

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I have a bench at home I use to work on form for some exercises. Since I don't have a spotter or any real safety measures here I never really go over 80% capacity. Nothing worse than having to roll the bar off your stomach because you can't lift it anymore. lol

Get a gym membership and hit the free weights. Lift heavy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Far more economical. Even off craigslist, the weights I would need for my workout this week would have run me about $300.