Weight loss losing friends?

Options
Hi. I thought I could share my weight loss with a friend of mine. She needs to lose weight too but just isn't into it right now. I don't talk to many people about my loss or what I am doing to get there. For one, I thought maybe it would motivate her. I know it has to come from within but sometimes a buddy can help. Secondly, I thought she was a good enough friend she would be happy for me and cheer me on even if she is not into it right now. I guess not. I haven't said that much but she is not talking to me as much anymore and mentioned I might want to talk to someone who is losing or has lost about it. Just a little bummed. I wasn't rubbing her nose in it or boasting. It's just such a big part of what I am doing now....... Oh well. I guess I thought she would be a bigger person than that. I know I would and have. I remember her telling me to try this thing she was doing from Dr. Oz and telling me how much she was losing, etc. I wasn't doing it at the time but I showed an interest. Maybe I expect too much.

Replies

• Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Envy, even on an unconscious level, may be getting the best of her. If she is your friend, she will see you feeling & looking better & either join in or more on.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Envy, even on an unconscious level, may be getting the best of her. If she is your friend, she will see you feeling & looking better & either join in or more on.

I agree. I have friends who have cheered me on whether they are bigger or smaller, friends who have joined this site or made other positive changes, and friends who act distant now or seem totally fixated on my loss -- without me discussing it -- to the point that I feel uncomfortable around them. You just never know how a person will react, but it is disappointing sometimes when friends don't live up to our expectations.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    People get jelly. Not the kind of jelly that peanut butter will help. :glasses:
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I remember a time when she was working on her weight and doing this Dr. Oz thing. She was telling me all about it and telling me to try it. Sharing her losses, etc. I remember complimenting her and showing an interest even though I wasn't "there" at the time. I am just disappointed. We don't all have to be on the same page for unconditional support. I share with so few people. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen for months and she acted visibly shocked. She is larger and needs to lose. She was smiling, telling me she was proud of me...told me I looked great, etc. Made me feel sooo good. Sad about the other one but .... It helps to share here and know some of you going through this too. It's just such a big thing to me right now....
  • jopalis
    Options
    You guys have done a great job. Its no easy task changing one's lifestyle. Thank you for sharing your similar experience. It is disappointing........ Support is so important. Some friends are unconditional.
  • ReenieBelle
    ReenieBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry to fixate on your weight loss. I'm sure there is more to you than your size. But weight loss and inspiration are what I'm on this site for and I just want to say.....WOW! 89 pounds?!? Way to go girl! I know it was a lot of work. You must feel great physically. I can't wait to be lighter on my feet and fit in a rollercoaster seat again!
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen except my friend who needed to lose weight claimed to be "trying." I thought it would motivate both of us to discuss meal plans, and work outs etc... after I lost about 5lbs and she hadn't lost any she told me that she didn't want to hear about my weight loss anymore then continued to complain about how her clothes are too tight and talk about how she got drunk and ate all the left overs in the fridge the night before.

Personally, I think I'm better for losing this person. They were toxic in my life overall and I wish I saw that sooner. I have tried to keep my fitness goals to myself/people who really have the same goals and are actually putting in effort to get there. It's tough when you can't talk to someone important to you about something important in your life. But hey, if you aren't important to them, why are they important to you, right? Don't let them bring you down. Discuss all you want to others and brag all you want here! :flowerforyou:
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss! Sometimes our own success makes others aware of their own shortcomings and failures and maybe your friend is feeling like you are leaving her behind? Keep up with your efforts at your weight loss!
  • jopalis
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and letting me vent.
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    On another note, but similar topic. For years I shared an office with another woman. She was the younger one, the skinny one, etc. As I began my weight loss journey it was not what she said but what she did. On more than one occasion, when I would come back from lunch, she would have left something for me on my desk. Might be a dessert from her lunch, a candy bar; or some mornings it was a donut.
    Leading different lifestyles & her being younger it was easier for her to maintain her weight. Not for me. She was single, I was a single parent. I always thanked her but never caved in. Some 30 years later, she was no longer a "young thing", was mother of 3, and more supportive. Imagine that.
    :wink:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    some of my friends pretty much disappeared after I lost a lot of weight.
    2 of the friends were very close to me, the 3 of us were losing together, working-out together, etc.
    they cheated a lot, ate what they shouldn't, and I would stick to my routine and lose. (this was a few years ago)
    it hurt my feelings a lot. esp when I gained back a lot of weight and suddenly they were friends with me again.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    You just never know how a person will react, but it is disappointing sometimes when friends don't live up to our expectations.

I think one thing I have learned for sure is to not have expectations. you're sure to be let-down every.single.time.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yeah but. This is gonna sound harsh, so prepare yourself.

Very often, people who are losing or trying to lose talk about it ALL THE TIME and can sound pretty narcissistic and annoying. As a current loser myself, I pretty much agree with your friend that the best people to talk to about your weight loss are 1) other people who are losing (like on MFP) and 2) people who ASK you about it. It's simply not cool to talk about bodies with people who don't want to talk about bodies. Period.

For comparison, let's say you and your friend both really struggled with money, making ends meet. Then you come into some money: maybe you get a higher paying job, or come into some family money, or win the lottery. You can expect your friend to be happy for you and to congratulate you. You CANNOT expect your friend to listen to you go on and on every time you get together about what you're doing with your money, the fun you're having spending it, and your new rich people problems like figuring out tax strategies and how to invest your money to keep it safe, etc. etc. Right? The same is true of your weight. You can bring it up as a one-time thing and expect her to be happy for you. Maybe she'll ask you questions -- maybe she won't. Maybe she'll gently tell you that money talk makes her uncomfortable (as your friend has done with weight). At that point you shut up about it, and if you're a big person you don't resent her for not being able or willing to experience everything you're experiencing. You'd be sensitive to her situation, I hope.

Also, even though you're saying you're not "rubbing her nose in it" you do admit that you want to "motivate" her. Has she asked for motivation? Or has she made it clear that she isn't into it right now? Because you seem pretty sure that she's already sure she's not into it -- so why are you interfering? Just because you are in a place where you're ready for it doesn't mean it's okay at all to pressure her into it.

It doesn't have to be about envy or not being happy FOR YOU. It can be about her absolutely justified distrust of people potentially judging her as broken and thinking it's okay to try to "fix" her, even though she's made it clear she's got her own issues and she's not ready. You have to respect that when someone makes it clear. If you can't respect it, you're not going to be good friends for one another anyway.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Yeah but. This is gonna sound harsh, so prepare yourself.

Very often, people who are losing or trying to lose talk about it ALL THE TIME and can sound pretty narcissistic and annoying. As a current loser myself, I pretty much agree with your friend that the best people to talk to about your weight loss are 1) other people who are losing (like on MFP) and 2) people who ASK you about it. It's simply not cool to talk about bodies with people who don't want to talk about bodies. Period.

For comparison, let's say you and your friend both really struggled with money, making ends meet. Then you come into some money: maybe you get a higher paying job, or come into some family money, or win the lottery. You can expect your friend to be happy for you and to congratulate you. You CANNOT expect your friend to listen to you go on and on every time you get together about what you're doing with your money, the fun you're having spending it, and your new rich people problems like figuring out tax strategies and how to invest your money to keep it safe, etc. etc. Right? The same is true of your weight. You can bring it up as a one-time thing and expect her to be happy for you. Maybe she'll ask you questions -- maybe she won't. Maybe she'll gently tell you that money talk makes her uncomfortable (as your friend has done with weight). At that point you shut up about it, and if you're a big person you don't resent her for not being able or willing to experience everything you're experiencing. You'd be sensitive to her situation, I hope.

Also, even though you're saying you're not "rubbing her nose in it" you do admit that you want to "motivate" her. Has she asked for motivation? Or has she made it clear that she isn't into it right now? Because you seem pretty sure that she's already sure she's not into it -- so why are you interfering? Just because you are in a place where you're ready for it doesn't mean it's okay at all to pressure her into it.

It doesn't have to be about envy or not being happy FOR YOU. It can be about her absolutely justified distrust of people potentially judging her as broken and thinking it's okay to try to "fix" her, even though she's made it clear she's got her own issues and she's not ready. You have to respect that when someone makes it clear. If you can't respect it, you're not going to be good friends for one another anyway.

I disagree that it is the same as coming into money. the OP said that the friend was trying to lose weight herself. so it's not like the topic is taboo. my husband has lost ALOT of weight and looks amazing. I tell him all the time about how jealous I am of him. I wouldn't stop talking to him or divorce him because he looks better, has lost weight, etc. friends should be there for each other, no matter what. even if my friend were talking about it all the time, I wouldn't leave her as a friend. I would be jealous, yes, and I might even say so, but I wouldn't turn my back on her. money is completely different, IMHO, because you really can't control money the way you can your diet, etc. I CAN help it if I start eating right and exercise and lose weight. if I come into money, then that is a happenstance.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Sorry to fixate on your weight loss. I'm sure there is more to you than your size. But weight loss and inspiration are what I'm on this site for and I just want to say.....WOW! 89 pounds?!? Way to go girl! I know it was a lot of work. You must feel great physically. I can't wait to be lighter on my feet and fit in a rollercoaster seat again!

Thanks! I have lost 134 from my heaviest and honestly I don't feel any different than I did about 90 lb ago...but yeah, it's nice to fit into the world around me better.
  • jopalis
    Options
    I rarely mention it to her. I don't suggest she use my method, etc. When she was doing it a few years ago, she was all about telling me how well what she does works and how I should try it, etc. Telling me about her and her husband's losses, ongoing. I listened and didn't make her feel just because I wasn't where she was that I couldn't be a friend to her and be supportive. People are often not in the same place at the same time. Friendship doesn't have to be conditional. I am not being insensitive either I didn't realize she felt that way til now. I told her I was sorry if I upset her unintentionally.
  • jopalis
    Options
    Yes, La5vega...that is how my other friend was when she saw me in church. She is overweight and I know it bothers her. Recently had a new baby. She has been successful before and will be again. She saw me and was all smiles and telling me how great I looked...how did I do it, etc. She did say "I am so jealous" but she was great and told me she was proud of me. She made me feel so good! Entirely different person....... My husband has also lost a lot of weight. So much easier for him. At times when mine stalls and he loses I do get jealous and tell him so. But I also tell him I am proud of him and he is doing great........ He encourages me and supports me too.
  • jopalis
    Options
    Amazing Seltermint! You are inspirational.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your buddy was jealous.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I disagree that it is the same as coming into money. the OP said that the friend was trying to lose weight herself. so it's not like the topic is taboo.

Actually, go back and read the OP. She said her friend "needed" to lose weight. That's a very different statement. You can choose to interpret it as the friend trying unsuccessfully, but you wouldn't necessarily be right. I read it as both friends had probably both talked about wanting to lose weight in the past, but one of them wasn't in a place emotionally to do anything about it right now.

And to the OP, actually, I think you were good about apologizing to your friend once she expressed her sensitivity to the topic. I get that you might want to vent to us, but if you're able to respect where she is with this in her life then you'd also be right to leave it there now and don't take it personally because it's clearly NOT ABOUT YOU.

It sounds like you have some experience from when your friend lost weight in the past regarding my original statement, which was that yes, people who are losing weight often talk about it too much and too indiscriminately. Frankly, it is selfish of us. We would all do well to be aware of that and try not to be violators ourselves. It's something I try to be consciencious about, not always with all the success I'd aspire to.