can 110 pounds of weights be enough?

Options
My goal is to get less flabby esp the stomach. I've bought a set of barbell.and weights up 110 pounds at my local walmart and am going to start strength training since from what I've read is what I need to do. However, I'm not going to spend any more money on weights because its super tight at the momment and I cannot join a gym either. Can these weights take me to a flatter, lean stomach? I

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Flatter and leaner comes from diet...

The weights (depending on what you do with them) can help maintain the muscle you have and engage the core muscles so that when you do lose the fat you have lovely muscle definition underneath...

With the weights 110lbs will get you to a point...if you are new to lifting it will get you a decent ways...keep in mind tho 2 10lb plates are about 20$ at walmart as well so if you save up you could add in extras or ask for them at Christmas from Friends and family.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Flatter and leaner comes from diet...

The weights (depending on what you do with them) can help maintain the muscle you have and engage the core muscles so that when you do lose the fat you have lovely muscle definition underneath...

With the weights 110lbs will get you to a point...if you are new to lifting it will get you a decent ways...keep in mind tho 2 10lb plates are about 20$ at walmart as well so if you save up you could add in extras or ask for them at Christmas from Friends and family.

^This. Muscle definition is from reduced body fat, and diet is the key to that. As for the weights, it depends on how strong you are now and what program you are doing. They could be enough to tide you over for awhile, or you could move beyond them pretty quickly.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your primary tool to reach your goal is going to be diet. The weights will help you maintain existing muscle mass while you are eating at a calorie deficit, which is what you will need to be doing to lose weight.

So to answer your real question, it will probably be enough for now as it seems you are just beginning to incorporate lifting into you plans. You can always get more when you need more. You probably won't need to get more for a few months at least, depending on what program you are following.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Depends what weight you start out with. It wouldn't be enough for me, but I've been lifting regularly for a solid year.

I would recommend eating at a slight deficit if you're still looking to lose fat and start a strength program like Starting Strength, 5 x 5 or New Rules of Lifiting.

If you eat a deficit, you will lose fat all around, but you can't spot reduce it from your stomach. Compound lifts with the barbell like deadlifts, squats and push presses will really work the core and will improve the look of the muscle underneath the fat.

I'm glad you decided to start strength training. You will love the results!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!