Red wine might be better for you than the gym - bottoms up!

Options
Check this study that I found online out: http://www.latintimes.com/drinking-wine-better-going-gym-according-scientists-yes-261496

Pretty sweet, huh? Who's gonna be gettin' into this stuff later on tonight? :laugh:

*Disclaimer: I am aware this is not as beneficial to your physique as going to the gym. I'm mostly just having a laugh. And also using this as an excuse to post wine gifs.

bottle-gif.gif?w=474

Replies

• WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    You got me sold. Selling my treadmill and getting a wine cellar.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You got me sold. Selling my treadmill and getting a wine cellar.

This seems reasonable. I like it.

070acabb2edce80adbb4f53d57e8e1fd.jpg

I'll be skinny by October!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Pretty sweet, huh? Who's gonna be gettin' into this stuff later on tonight? Me! One of my favorite "c" food groups-- Chocolate, Cabernet, and Coffee...mmm
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If the gym opened a wine bar, maybe I'd get a gym membership.
  • ShyGirl1978sm
    ShyGirl1978sm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the perfect wine glass to share but can't seem to add a photo...hmm, and I call myself a modern girl lol!
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    I have the perfect wine glass to share but can't seem to add a photo...hmm, and I call myself a modern girl lol!

Do you have the URL? Put this:

[*img]URL GOES HERE[/img*]

Minus the *s. :)
  • ShyGirl1978sm
    ShyGirl1978sm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BitW6wpCIAE6QM-.jpg:medium
  • pixelatedsun
    Options
    Time for Skymall to become useful! $25 apiece, who's in on a group order? :laugh:

102850753x.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Don't drink wine from the bottle! The aroma is part of what makes it so good. Beer and liquor from the bottle, wine from a glass.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    no need for a disclaimer its science so its true
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on the parade, but...
    Resveratrol might be a key ingredient in red wine that helps prevent damage to blood vessels, reduces low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) and prevents blood clots.

Most research on resveratrol has been done on animals, not people. Research in mice given resveratrol suggests that the antioxidant might also help protect them from obesity and diabetes, both of which are strong risk factors for heart disease. However, those findings were reported only in mice, not in people. In addition, to get the same dose of resveratrol used in the mice studies, a person would have to drink more than 1,000 liters of red wine every day. Research in pigs has shown that resveratrol may improve heart function and increase the body's ability to use insulin. Again, however, these benefits have not been tested in people.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/red-wine/art-20048281
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Know what's in my steel "water" bottle I take to the gym?

Hint, it's not cytomax.

Second hint, it contains EtOH
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    BitW6wpCIAE6QM-.jpg:medium

Love this...need to get one
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst the bubble but you really have to read the actual study in question, not an article about the study. Here's the study's name: "improvements in skeletal muscle strength and cardiac function induced by resveratrol during exercise training contribute to enhanced exercise performance in rats". Just from the title of the study alone you can ascertain that it does not prove anything remotely close to what the article made it seem like. Not only was the study conducted on rats, it compared rats who had resveratrol in their diet vs ones who didn't and it's effect on exercise. Both groups of rats still did exercise. Shame that people can write such misleading articles.

Here are bullet points of what the study ACTUALLY found, mind you this was only shown in RATS:

Resveratrol, an antioxidant found in red wine, has beneficial effects on cardiac and skeletal muscle function, similar to the effects of endurance exercise training.

• Combining resveratrol supplementation with exercise training augments the beneficial effects of exercise alone.

• We show that endurance capacity is enhanced in rats whose diet includes resveratrol during a 12 week endurance-training programme.

• Increased endurance was associated with increases in skeletal muscle force, cardiac function, and oxidative metabolism.

• Our results establish that resveratrol is an effective ergogenic aid that enhances exercise performance over exercise alone.

For anyone who care to read the actual study, here is a link: http://jp.physoc.org/content/590/11/2783.full?sid=387b43df-6c1f-44e4-a512-624e720e53af
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst the bubble but you really have to read the actual study in question, not an article about the study. Here's the study's name: "improvements in skeletal muscle strength and cardiac function induced by resveratrol during exercise training contribute to enhanced exercise performance in rats". Just from the title of the study alone you can ascertain that it does not prove anything remotely close to what the article made it seem like. Not only was the study conducted on rats, it compared rats who had resveratrol in their diet vs ones who didn't and it's effect on exercise. Both groups of rats still did exercise. Shame that people can write such misleading articles.

Here are bullet points of what the study ACTUALLY found, mind you this was only shown in RATS:

Resveratrol, an antioxidant found in red wine, has beneficial effects on cardiac and skeletal muscle function, similar to the effects of endurance exercise training.

• Combining resveratrol supplementation with exercise training augments the beneficial effects of exercise alone.

• We show that endurance capacity is enhanced in rats whose diet includes resveratrol during a 12 week endurance-training programme.

• Increased endurance was associated with increases in skeletal muscle force, cardiac function, and oxidative metabolism.

• Our results establish that resveratrol is an effective ergogenic aid that enhances exercise performance over exercise alone.

For anyone who care to read the actual study, here is a link: http://jp.physoc.org/content/590/11/2783.full?sid=387b43df-6c1f-44e4-a512-624e720e53af

There ya go, Debbie Downer using those darned facts again. Oh well, pass the bottle anyway.