Worried about getting in a swimming costume

Options
Driving home from work today I had a great idea. I was going to drop in at my Local leisure centre and join.
When I got there, the receptionist ran the options by me. The bells and whistles, all singing, all dancing gym, classes, swimming membership or just the pool.

Now I find the gym boring, I tried it ages ago and decided it wasn't for me. Work commitments mean I won't always get back to my town for specific time to do a class regularly. So I picked the swimming option.

I was so full of motivation and renewed hope that I can get past the rut I am in. That now my wallet is £25 down, its my bodies turn.

Then I tried on my swimsuit, it fits but I feel horrible and worried sick about going to the pool Sunday.
I feel like the moment, I get in the water some kind soul will call Green Peace to get me back into the sea.

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You know 99% of women regardless of their size or shape feel the same as you when they put on a bathing suit. Ignore it, jump into that pool and have fun.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Good for you for joining in the first place. I know once you get there and start swimming it will be ok. Maybe go shopping for a nice new flattering suit.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For 3 weeks now iv been saying im going to start swimming once a week (on top of 4 gym sessions) but after trying on my swimming suit (firts time in about 4 years) i just wanted to cry, it fits, thats not the problem, I just cant bare the thought of walking from the changing room to the water.

I did take my 15month old daughter Swimming on tuesday BUT we didnt actually swim, just played in the baby pool and i wore shorts and a vest top, which i wouldnt be able to wear whilst actually swimming.

I think me and you both need to just bite the bullet and do it.
    nobody is gonna be watching us, nobody will care.

so do it for you

xx
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    You know 99% of women regardless of their size or shape feel the same as you when they put on a bathing suit. Ignore it, jump into that pool and have fun.

^^^ this.

Do it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    And... you'll probably be surprised at how many people, men and women, are there who are heavy as well. Swimming is a great activity if your joints can't manage a lot of weight bearing, so all shapes and sizes of people turn up at the pool. In any case, you've paid the money, make use of it!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I love to go swimming. The thing is I am not there for anyone but me. I don't care what other people think about how I look in my bathing suit. Besides, I always think that even if people are looking at me and going eww gross why is she in a swimsuit; my mental response can be well at least I'm not sitting on my couch chowing down on chips or something. I am doing something about it! When I go to the pool I am not even the largest person there most times. Judging by your pic, you are way smaller than me, so don't worry about it. Go swim and get healthy!! You'll see that pretty soon you will feel more confident because you are working hard and you won't care because swimming feels so amazing!
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazing advice. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yup, that was me back in March. All I can say is just go. There will be people of all sizes and shapes at the pool. Mine even has people coming to the pool with walkers and getting in and swimming around while sitting on a noodle since they really can't use their legs for much.

Getting in the water has been the best thing for me, exercise wise and I am glad I did it. You will be too.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I see ALOT of extremely obese people in the pool and I never think anything of it. (not saying you are obese) no one stares. no one makes a deal of it. swimming is AWESOME for the joints and great exercise. don't be too hard on yourself. one day, that swimsuit will be TOO LARGE! :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Besides, I always think that even if people are looking at me and going eww gross why is she in a swimsuit; my mental response can be well at least I'm not sitting on my couch chowing down on chips or something. I am doing something about it!

I love this advice! excellent!!! :smile:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Sorry for the delayed response, timezone differences and all that.
    Makes me feel better to hear all your comments. I will be going Sunday without a doubt ????
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just love swimming, it gives me a great feeling of well-being! When I started going at a much heavier weight than I am now I felt just the same as you- very self conscious- but now I feel toned and fit. I set myself challenges to swim more lengths each time I went and then to improve my speed/technique- so now I feel like I am a good swimmer! Focus on the positives and feel proud of yourself when you've been for the first time! The more you go the more confident you will feel!
  • manda20142014
    Options
    I have swim fit membership at my local pool and am about to start using regularly from today......

My old swimsuits are getting out of shape, next have loads 50 per cent off right now in their clearance section so I have two more arriving tomorrow.

Don't let anything stop you getting in that pool Sunday. X I will be going Sunday too!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    noone wil care!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I started out with a 78 inch. waist at 560 lbs. pretty much unable to walk. I was written a script by my doctor to do aquatic therapy to use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to start exercising. I literally would walk from the shallows in the pool when i started before I ever swam. The last place in the world after being homebound for over 2 years was in a public 8 lane lap pool at the local YMCA where all eyes can be upon me. But I had to move past that mindset or die, it really was getting down to only those 2 options. So I bet on me, and choose to live and no matter how hard I thought in my head it was going to be I would just do it and to hell with the rest..... If you want to better yourself, if you are tired of the same ole habits and routines, then you are going to have to step out of your comfort zone and do something you don't like too if you ever want to get to that point where you feel better about yourself..... Best of Luck
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not many people know this, but most swimsuits come with a huge extra set of "feeling like a whale".

No, seriously - don't worry! Probably all of us feel the same - and yet, probably noone will care.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I swim 4x a week now but until about 8 years ago I hadn't been in the water since I was a pre-teen, mainly due to being overly body conscious. What helped me starting off was going to the 'ladies only' session - do you know if there's one at your pool? OK, so there are still other people there (oh, for a pool of my own!) but there are *all* shapes and sizes on display and it helped me gain confidence. Once it sunk in that no-one gave a monkeys what I looked like and that there were people there that looked a lot 'worse' than me (I know that sounds shallow but there it is), I added more sessions. Honestly, don't worry, if you want to swim, just dive in. You've got nothing to lose (apart from lbs!) :-) .
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    I feel a lot better :flowerforyou:

It was never really about what others thought, it was about what I thought about me.
    But I wont let it stop me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Driving home from work today I had a great idea. I was going to drop in at my Local leisure centre and join.
    When I got there, the receptionist ran the options by me. The bells and whistles, all singing, all dancing gym, classes, swimming membership or just the pool.

Now I find the gym boring, I tried it ages ago and decided it wasn't for me. Work commitments mean I won't always get back to my town for specific time to do a class regularly. So I picked the swimming option.

I was so full of motivation and renewed hope that I can get past the rut I am in. That now my wallet is £25 down, its my bodies turn.

Then I tried on my swimsuit, it fits but I feel horrible and worried sick about going to the pool Sunday.
    I feel like the moment, I get in the water some kind soul will call Green Peace to get me back into the sea.

Lol. I went swimming at 35 weeks pregnant and was worried about the beached whale thing.

The worst thing is getting from the changing room to the pool. I'm a teacher and my biggest fear if I go swimming is that one of my pupils will be there and see me in my swimsuit!

I want to take my 4 month old swimming and am trying to find the courage to do so. Before I had my baby (my 3rd) I was a size 10/12 and wore a bikini to the pool. Sigh.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    The only time I notice what other gym-goes are wearing is if it's 1. offensive in some way 2. inside out 3. Some apparel from my hometown/undergrad school.

If you're not wearing a neon thong banana hammock, nobody is going to pay any mind. Unless it's inside out and they go to tell you. Or they really like your swimsuit and ask where you bought it.