Jumping rope

Options
Does anyone jump rope as part of their exercise plan? I looked it up in the exercise diary for MFP and saw the estimated number of calories being burned. Are these figures accurate? Thanks

Replies

• klkwak529
    klkwak529 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "you can estimate the number of calories you burn per minute by multiplying your body weight by .074. If you do 125 jumps per minute, multiply your body weight by .080 to estimate the calories you burn in a minute. If you are faster on your feet and do 145 jumps per minute, estimate the number of calories you burn per minute by multiplying your weight by .089."

- from Livestrong website.

I use jump rope regularly as part of my cardio. I found this much easier on my feet and joints than running but feels much more intense than running (And I run at a moderate pace usually - about 5:10 per km). Needless to say, I cannot jump rope for 40 straight minutes. Also jump rope improved my coordination and got my feet faster for other sports. It really is excellent for overall conditioning.
    Some days I wear a weighted vest for my jump rope to make it more challenging (about 12 lbs).
  • jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There are three levels of intensity for MFP for jumping rope: slow, medium, and vigorous. If you are a beginner and tripping on the rope every now and then, does that fall under slow?
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I burn at least 100 for every 10 minutes, sometimes more like 140, but that's if I'm super fast, not moderate. It's also good to mix it up with running in place, squats, lunges, pushups, dips, etc if you want to do it for a long time. Jump rope for a few minutes, do a body weight exercise, repeat for 30-60 minutes, etc.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There are three levels of intensity for MFP for jumping rope: slow, medium, and vigorous. If you are a beginner and tripping on the rope every now and then, does that fall under slow?

That would be a safe bet. But you should look at the actual pace you are going at during the jumping rope. You could underestimate your calories if you put in slow, but at least you have that buffer for calculating your additional calories to eat. :happy: