congestive heart failure fluid retention

Needs tips on limiting fluids but staying hydrated. Lol lasix helps but id like a better way.thanx

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian who is trained to help you manage your nutrition in the context of your medical situation.

Any advice here would be from laypersons who don't have the necessary training to answer this question for you.
  • bigT24chiefs
    bigT24chiefs Posts: 50 Member
    True..i guess that could be said about a lot of questions here.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    CHF is in my family and I agree with the other post, have your Dr. set you up with a dietitian who is trained to help you manage your nutrition, get solid advice from someone trained or you CAN do more harm than good!!!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    I am certainly not an expert, so I agree with having your Dr./ Nutritionist weigh in here, but I recently got this advice from a RN caring for my 95 yr. old mother who constantly battles dehydration. Jello! It’s mostly water, right? So, it makes sense to me, anyway. Plus, you can get sugar free if you are concerned about sugar or are diabetic. Just an idea…..
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    True..i guess that could be said about a lot of questions here.

Probably, but with CHF, I think it's best to err on the side of the experts. It's a tricky condition to manage. I worked with a great dietitian who helped my grandfather manage his diet (he also had CHF), and she helped us set up a diet plan that was pretty effective and tailored to his preferences and nutritional needs.

Best of luck to you.
  • bigT24chiefs
    Thanks and yes I agree.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    I have lived with CHF for years. Be careful about how much sodium you consume. It is in EVERYthing. Drink water and see your doctor. Are you on Lasix? If not, your doctor may want to put you on a low dose. It is wonderful at reducing retention. Also foods that are rich in potassium can help. Potassium-rich fruits include prunes, kiwi, bananas, citrus fruit, cantaloupe and apricots. Veggies with potassium include broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes.

As has been said, see your doctor and get with a dietician. I had a silent heart attack because of ignoring what my body was trying to warn me about.
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Water pills twice a day ?? But if you are looking for natural way, green tea, or just regular tea, some people say apple juice, but I'm diabetic, it would help my sugars. Good luck I know your pain !!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I am certainly not an expert, so I agree with having your Dr./ Nutritionist weigh in here, but I recently got this advice from a RN caring for my 95 yr. old mother who constantly battles dehydration. Jello! It’s mostly water, right? So, it makes sense to me, anyway. Plus, you can get sugar free if you are concerned about sugar or are diabetic. Just an idea…..

OP is not battling dehydration and struggling to get enough fluids in though - so having extra hidden fluids in the form of jello and suchlike is not going to help at all - in fact the opposite.

OP needs to keep to a fluid restriction, and cannot have any extra fluid beyond the restriced amount and this includes not having jello etc unless the fluid in that has been included in her daily allowance.
  • bigT24chiefs
    Correct paper
  • TannunisFred
    TannunisFred Posts: 17 Member
    I haven't really had issues staying hydrated. I was terribly thirsty for awhile, but that was more a factor in my diabetes then the water retention.

I found as I lost more weight, the less water I retained. My lasix dosage was cut in half last week, and honestly all the swelling in feet and legs are gone. And no more restroom trips every 20 minutes when the lasix was kicking my butt!

As mentioned the sodium is a big issue. Until I started logging here, I never realized how much salt was in foods, I figured if I wasn't adding using the salt shaker I was fine. Not true, and especially pay attention to processed meats (hot dogs, lunch meats) and any canned foods you use.

As you add fresh fruit and vegetables, the natural water content in these foods, will help too. I have to count items like jello, cottage cheese, and yogurt toward my fluids, but apples and cucumbers seem to get a pass....
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Iceberg lettuce has mostly water. Pedialyte is a great mild hydrator. It does have electrolytes though (sodium and such) so be super diligent about looking into seeing if you can take it. Otherwise, water is probably the best or a lot of veggies that contain the water.

What about watermelon? That is always touted to be filled with water. I guess you have to watch your sugars with it, but when you eat it and incorporate it into your diet, you may get some benefit other than vitamins out of it.

:flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    I am an RN on a cardiac floor - definitely definitely keep in touch with your doc as you make any lifestyle changes so they can keeps tabs and adjust your treatment as needed. One thing we always tell our patients is to include activity (not strenuous) in your day - keeps that circulation going and can help to minimize fluid retention. Keep your feet up when you're resting for the same reason. Letting body movement or gravity keep that blood moving takes some workload off of your heart. And of course follow your personalized instructions on fluid and salt intake.
    Take care :)
  • +1 with the RN advice.....and I am an RN (also a computer programmer! LOL) in a family of RNs. My father had CHF at 54. (He didn't know family history because his parents - immigrants from Ireland - died when he was in HS.) Salt is the main thing to avoid. With CHF, you don't want to take internet advice. See your Cardiologist.

Turns out my father had asymptomatic congenital cardiomyopathy that graduated to CHF. My sister (NP), my brother (RN) and I all have it. Funny that only the nurses in the family got it!!!!

Oh, and like Ishii19, I worked on a cardiac floor, CHF in particular. :)
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    I haven't read all the posts so I don't exactly know what everyone has said. However, CHF is a very serious condition and I sincerely hope that you speak to your doctor before following any advice in this post. I work in the cardiac cath lab and see the ramifications of one wrong meal on heart failure patients. There are resources such as heart failure clinics and nutritionists but you should be guided by your cardiologist - NOT your PCP !!!
    Keep up the good effort but please be VERY careful.
  • bigT24chiefs
    +1 with the RN advice.....and I am an RN (also a computer programmer! LOL) in a family of RNs. My father had CHF at 54. (He didn't know family history because his parents - immigrants from Ireland - died when he was in HS.) Salt is the main thing to avoid. With CHF, you don't want to take internet advice. See your Cardiologist.

Turns out my father had asymptomatic congenital cardiomyopathy that graduated to CHF. My sister (NP), my brother (RN) and I all have it. Funny that only the nurses in the family got it!!!!

Can CHF be reversed..?
  • +1 with the RN advice.....and I am an RN (also a computer programmer! LOL) in a family of RNs. My father had CHF at 54. (He didn't know family history because his parents - immigrants from Ireland - died when he was in HS.) Salt is the main thing to avoid. With CHF, you don't want to take internet advice. See your Cardiologist.

Can CHF be reversed..?

No. You will always have it. You can get improvement. My father was 54. His EF was 15. They installed an ICD (internal cardiac defibrillator). Back then, a good survival rate was 5 years. Today, they brag about improving it to 10. My father is now 79!!! That is 25 years, post-diagnosis. He has beat it and then some! His EF is 45, still below normal, but a big improvement.

CHF requires a lifestyle change. You can do this!
  • I have just recently been diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. Ironically I worked hard to drink up to 64 oz of water a day only to be told to restrict my fluids to 48 oz a day and that includes "anything that turns to liquid at room temperature, AND soups! I take Lasix 2 x a day as well as Aldactone 2 x a day. Two things: First make sure your dr is monitoring your potassium levels and that your kidneys aren't having issues. The make a list of fruits and veggies that will quench your thirst. Applesauce, oranges, melons, cucumbers, most lettuces, celery, well you get the idea. I love to cook and am good at it. I have started revamping my favorites into ultra low sodium recipes. I love Italian food and yesterday came up with a marinara sauce with only 34 mg of sodium per 1 cup serving. I may have given you too much information or stuff you already know. Just know I understand your frustration. As long as your doc is monitoring your kidney function, you don't need a lot of fluids as long as you're keeping your salt intake way down.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!