Cost of food rant

Options

Replies

• NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi in your town I highly recommend trying to find stuff there. They label items as their own brand and are a lot like the original except at a much lower price. They have a lot of organic items and if I'm not mistaken they own Trader Joe's. They make a cereal that tastes exactly like the Kashi Go Lean cereal but for only $1.69 a box. Can't beat that.
  • paomiamifl
    paomiamifl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Husband and I spend $100-150 a month on groceries that last almost 2 months. There have been $75 months here and there as well. *This budget also includes any and all cleaning supplies.*
    Things we have learned:
    1) trader joe's (if you have one nearby) is about HALF the price of the cheaper "supermarket" when purchasing organic food.
    2) eating off an 8" plate is miraculous, not only for waistline but for money not spent on food. No one NEEDS (unless for medical reasons) to ingest thousands of thousands of calories a day. It's ok to be a bit hungry.
    3) we NEVER eat at restaurants. EVER. we cook 100% of the time at home! and even have multiple days a month of just popcorn (made at home) or chips and homemade dips, on days we want to "pig out."
    4) no one has ever died for eating once a day (as we do) especially those of us who are/have been obese/overweight. You die of malnutrition and for not eating for weeks!months at a time. We in the west have the luxury of surplus food. Other parts of the world, don't, and yet they keep surviving. We have the luxury (it's not a real physical need) to eat multiple times a day if we choose to.
    5) I found out I have Celiac disease so even with gluten free stuff, AND organic, we are spending hundreds less than before.
    6) we pay in cash so that if we take say 160 dollars with us to buy food, that's ALL that gets spent. The rest will have to wait for the next time.
    7) there's always that "next time" and waiting for it is actually a great exercise in patience and self-control.
    8) we exclusively drink coffee at home. It's about 4 dollars for an espresso 16oz "brick" that lasts 7-10 days vs. ONE coffee from Starbucks or elsewhere that costs the same, PER CUP.
    9) before, we used to consume 1 pound of pasta between us in 1 sitting. These days, the gluten free bag lasts for 2-4 times (4-8 servings, instead of 2) longer.
    10) living with less: weight, expenses, stress...it's a life-changing, positive thing.

I've lost almost 91 pounds and husband around 50. I see how much healthier we are, and the amount of things we are able to accomplish on a daily basis since we changed our lifestyle. For us, it's been a fantastic change, one we could never go back from.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    We only eat out about once a month, which is helpful. I like to cook, so that also makes it easier to eat good food. My morning challenge is mostly that I'm not a morning person, and it takes a long time for me to wake up. So while I'd rather eat cooked food for breakfast, the thought of having to cook something immediately after waking up kills me. So we have cereal. So I guess that's not really a price problem, it's a motivation problem. And thanks for the eat-for-less pdf--I'm definitely going to look at that.

I make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal in the evening, after dinner. Portion it out into 4 portions, and I'm set for the week. Only takes 90 sec. in the microwave in the morning to heat it up.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I've decided one of the hardest things about eating well isn't the time it takes or missing out on cake and cookies. It's having to choose between healthful food and cheap food. There are so many times at the grocery store where I'm comparing foods and have to take the less-good-for-me option because I can't afford the good stuff. Especially breakfast cereals. I wish I could buy Special K or Kashi cereals because they taste so good, but they're too blinking expensive. My little ones love them too, and I feel terrible giving them sugary crap, but I'd spend half of my grocery budget just on breakfast if I bought the good stuff. I really should get up earlier in the morning and make oatmeal more often, but that gets really boring really fast. Anybody else sick of the compromise?

Quick cooking oatmeal is much cheaper and healthier. I would make a big pot and let the kids add maple syrup or raisins or cinnamon or nuts. I have also found ways to cut meat and add veg which actually reduced my food bill. Buying grains and such in bulk also helps.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    We are big cereal/grain eaters in my house!

I usually get off brand cereals, with no added sugars. Instead of special K corn flakes, I buy Generic Flakes of Corn. (Or whatever)

I also buy big tubs of oatmeal, and eat oats most mornings.

I usually have lowfat granola bars, like nutragrain, nature valley,or quaker chewy chocolate chip.

I always have bagels on hand too, and I serve them with peanut or soynut butter.

Those are the everyday breakfasts around here.

I keep one "treat" cereal, and "treat breakfast" around. So in addition to all that I listed, I keep have coco puffs and strawberry poptarts for the children. Not for everyday, but certainly some days. Sometimes I have a bag of mini donuts up there.

When I serve any breakfast choice, I include a serving of fruit, (usually an apple, or a glass of orange juice) and a serving of dairy (milk, or yogurt). I feel okay about these breakfasts.

My budget is way restrictive, and it has been even tighter in the past. Feed your kids as healthfully as you can, remembering not to go crazy in the process.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Shop on sale, and look for coupons.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    also wanted to add- dont change your life in ways you find unsustainable.

I dont LOVE to cook. I however eat at home pretty much all the time. Most of my meals take 15 minutes of hands on time. So quick grain based breakfasts are my JAM yo. If I am making eggs its usually for dinner. :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Couponing + stocking up during sales has been a god send for me.
    Also, it helps me free up my budget so I can afford to splurge on produce that I want. Spending $.15 on a jar of pasta sauce that is usually $2? Look at that, I have an extra $1.85 towards produce!

Also, I buy in bulk when I can; makes meat and produce cheaper that way, plus I can freeze the extra for later.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That PDF file that was linked is AWESOME!!!!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    when i go grocery shopping for my boyfriend and myself, i find that the bill is considerably higher when he comes along and throws in foods that i choose not to eat or prefer not to eat on a regular basis (chips, ice cream, cookies, frozen pizza, etc.). my bill is actually cheaper when i stick to my list of veggies, fruits, meat, water, milk, etc. for the week. not sure where you shop, but i usually spend between $100-$150 a week on the two of us between trader joe's and stop & shop.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the PDF... :)
  • paomiamifl
    paomiamifl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Long post, everyone...please bear with me if you wish to read it!

*laughs* No worries, MKEgal. I just very much enjoy helping others in areas that many do not think about, do not see a reason to assist, or just do not know how. It comes from working with my father since I was very young doing this kind of work with people who were dealing with drug/alcohol addiction. We had 15-20 people (men and women, with kids and without) living in a separate part of our home at one point. The experiences that we had with that particular group of people and many others over the years was positively perspective-altering. My mother would cook for them (they would help too when they were healthy enough), and my father would work with them concerning rehabilitation. Me and my sister had a lot of fun with the various people, and we learned things that would shape how we felt about drug/alcohol addictions and the people that had/have to contend with those addictions, people that had/have to contend with poverty, people that had "different" views in terms of religion or spiritual paths, and people that held different walks of life, whether their wage amounted to nothing or $1 million.

Food is something that I have seen talked about a lot on this site on my short 4-5 days here...I mean, it is one of the core components of what this site is about, after all. What I have also noticed is that, at times, many on MFP almost seem like they are trying to distance themselves from their food as if it is a bad thing, and just as many have openly stated that they are trying to distance themselves from their food emotionally and taking a purely physical relationship with their food. Some others get outright angry with their food because of the higher cost that they find with eating healthier, and still others are looking to get a better emotional and physical relationship with their food.

All of these views are interesting to see because this is one of the few places that we can come and see and hear directly from the sources directly outside of random moments of frustration at the grocery store, a friend or family member's comments here and there, or a weight loss support group.

Food is part of what it means to be human, and the various relationships that humanity as a whole and the individual has with food has always been something that has interested me. I mean, even myself...food in terms of cost does not frustrate me often, but it did the other day when i was shopping for someone who has a lot of trouble walking due to a knee injury at present. She prefers butter over margarine or oil and does not use much of it, but even the Walmart brand was almost $4.05 a pound and Horizon Farms was $6.49 per pound. Earlier this year, the Walmart brand had been $1.50 per pound with Horizon Farms being $2.00 per pound. It is all about cost of feed and operation for farmers/producers and companies, of course, and the farmers/producers at least are just as frustrated as we are as consumers.

There has been some great advice here in terms of how to shop smarter and easier to eat healthy, and it is nice for anyone looking to be able to come and be able to find tips that they may not have taken into account before.

Maerwhyn, one thing that might help with your motivation in the morning is doing things the night before. Overnight oatmeal and the granola are great for that if you want something hot/warm (put the granola and milk in the microwave for a few seconds if you want it to be kind of a loose, warm cereal. Smoothie kits are another great solution. Make up a kit in advance, put it in a container or bag, freeze, take out whenever you want it, toss it in the blender for a smoothie. You can put everything besides the milk/yogurt in the bag (fruits, veggies, sweetness, nuts, etc.). I say not the milk/yogurt only because it helps most blenders to have a bit of liquid to get everything moving and smooth. The smoothie kits can be a great mid-week or weekend project that the kids help with too.

Another suggestion? If your kids are old enough, get them to help you in the morning. Even most 2 1/2-3 year old can get something out of the pantry/refrigerator if you put it in an accessible place and show them where it is beforehand. All you would need to do then is put everything in the bowl and microwave then.

This was on short notice last night, but here is a website that demonstrates a more complete process for making granola: http://www.elizabethrider.com/easy-healthy-homemade-granola-recipe/

Overnight Oatmeal (no slow cooker required): http://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/overnight-oats-recipes-to-restore-your-faith-in-breakfast#h436xo

For steel-cut oats: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/overnight-steel-cut-oats-favorite-way-to-eat-oatmeal/

Another Oatmeal variation: http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2013/01/23/individual-baked-oatmeal/

No nutrition information, unfortunately, but you can put it in as a recipe in MFP and see if it works for you depending on the portion size. The steel-cut oats recipe is really good. I have done it multiple times and it gives the best steel-cut oats that I do not have to stand around waiting to cook.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,
    Rachel

Hi Rachel. Beautiful post! I want to be your friend, girl!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Plant a garden. Even growing your most used vegetables in containers can mean a significant savings.

Gardens don't need to take up a lot of space if you choose your vegetables wisely. Many can be grown vertically along a fence or trellis. Get creative.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Coupons are a mom's best friend! Also if you use Unsweetened Almond milk you save calories and a big surprise to me was it taste good in the cereal! So even the kiddos can have it, it will save a few calories for all of you and if it's a sugary cereal don't add sugar to it!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've decided one of the hardest things about eating well isn't the time it takes or missing out on cake and cookies. It's having to choose between healthful food and cheap food. There are so many times at the grocery store where I'm comparing foods and have to take the less-good-for-me option because I can't afford the good stuff.
    Nope. I've been able to stay under budget easily while buying healthy food. (I think I'm currently getting $180/mo, and often have money left to carry over.)

Beans, whether dry or canned, are very cheap & nutritious.
    Brown rice.
    Chicken, turkey, some cuts of beef or pork, some fish.
    Fresh veggies & fruits. Even frozen or canned are OK nutrition-wise, and sometimes a better deal.
    Eggs can be breakfast, a snack with lunch, or sliced on a salad for dinner.

And oatmeal doesn't take very long.
    Add some nuts & chopped fruit (I love apples with cinnamon, and brown sugar or honey) & you have a healthy long-lasting dish that's great for cold weather.
    Here are some recipes for slow-cooker oatmeal. Set it up before you go to bed, breakfast serves itself.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/search/index?search=slow+cooker+oatmeal
    For hot weather, mix it into yogurt. If you do it the night before, it softens up; might want to add a little milk so it's not too thick.

Other than chocolate Chex (for a treat) I can't remember the last time I had breakfast cereal. Too many calories, not enough nutrition, and no, I wouldn't buy the sugared stuff.
    My usual breakfast is a banana, whole wheat bread with peanut butter, and a glass of skim milk with a serving of Carnation instant breakfast.

Here's a cookbook which was put together specifically to show people on food stamps (SNAP) how to eat healthily and good on a very low budget ($4/day, which is about what SNAP allows people).
    The photography is amazing... I want to eat most of these things!
    https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf

ALL of this.

Of course it varies by location, but I don't find healthy groceries to be more expensive at ALL - often the opposite in fact - unless you rely heavily on processed foods or go 100% organic or something like that.

We cook most of our meals from inexpensive staples and produce (fresh or frozen), so then we can round it out with things that are a bit pricier like seafood or hazelnut spread or the good yogurt...it works out in the end.

The only time I really think it is expensive to choose healthier options is sometimes in fast food restaurants. Sorry to stray from the topic of the post but the other day I went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch with a friend and my 12 pc grilled nugget and medium fruit cup set me back almost $9, you can get a lot of "regular" fast food for that price...like several meals' worth, honestly. Just another reason to steer clear of fast food places though :-)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I haven't found the cost of healthier foods that prohibitive. At my market Special K was 2 for $5.00 and I had a $1.00 coupon, the same price as Frosted Flakes. I clip coupons for brands I like and also follow store circulars for deals and buy one get one free offers. I buy the barrel instant oatmeal instead of the packets and cook it in the microwave.I shopped for 4 adults (my husband and 2 grown sons) and my bill was $180.00, including toilet paper and some cleaning supplies. I saved over $20.00 this week using coupons.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've decided one of the hardest things about eating well isn't the time it takes or missing out on cake and cookies. It's having to choose between healthful food and cheap food. There are so many times at the grocery store where I'm comparing foods and have to take the less-good-for-me option because I can't afford the good stuff.

Nope. I've been able to stay under budget easily while buying healthy food. (I think I'm currently getting $180/mo, and often have money left to carry over.)

Beans, whether dry or canned, are very cheap & nutritious.
    Brown rice.
    Chicken, turkey, some cuts of beef or pork, some fish.
    Fresh veggies & fruits. Even frozen or canned are OK nutrition-wise, and sometimes a better deal.
    Eggs can be breakfast, a snack with lunch, or sliced on a salad for dinner.

And oatmeal doesn't take very long.
    Add some nuts & chopped fruit (I love apples with cinnamon, and brown sugar or honey) & you have a healthy long-lasting dish that's great for cold weather.
    Here are some recipes for slow-cooker oatmeal. Set it up before you go to bed, breakfast serves itself.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/search/index?search=slow+cooker+oatmeal
    For hot weather, mix it into yogurt. If you do it the night before, it softens up; might want to add a little milk so it's not too thick.

Other than chocolate Chex (for a treat) I can't remember the last time I had breakfast cereal. Too many calories, not enough nutrition, and no, I wouldn't buy the sugared stuff.
    My usual breakfast is a banana, whole wheat bread with peanut butter, and a glass of skim milk with a serving of Carnation instant breakfast.

Here's a cookbook which was put together specifically to show people on food stamps (SNAP) how to eat healthily and good on a very low budget ($4/day, which is about what SNAP allows people).
    The photography is amazing... I want to eat most of these things!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-09-19-cheap-eats-cookbook-696460

...I figured I'd just bold it and suggest many of the same items! Cereal is very very processed, Kashi just as much as others, there really isn't much in cereal that's nutritious. As shared above oatmeal is very low cost (buy in bulk also beans in bulk) and other complex carbs are beans, quinoa, barley, etc. So many foods that are healthy for our bodies ARE low cost because they aren't processed!

Do you have access to a garden? Or a Community Garden you can tend veggies in?

I hear often that good healthy food is more expensive than junk...... I simply don't agree.... sugar cereals, chips, cookies, boxes macaroni, boxed pretty much anything...... very expensive, not CHEAP!

The member above gave some great slow cooker ideas and a great list of how to eat well on a light budget.

Cheers for your new way of eating!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
    also trader joe's is my grocery savior.

YES, this!!! ^^ Absolutely this!:bigsmile: Plus it's a great place to get to know others and find out ways to do even more with your food/$$'s. Great place to trade recipes/ideas as well.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    That PDF is great. Just think simple, so you don't get overwhelmed and rely on unhealthy options very often.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I buy in bulk and cook in bulk. And rarely eat pre-made food like breakfast cereals.

Eggs can be made in a microwave, if you're pressed for time.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've decided one of the hardest things about eating well isn't the time it takes or missing out on cake and cookies. It's having to choose between healthful food and cheap food. There are so many times at the grocery store where I'm comparing foods and have to take the less-good-for-me option because I can't afford the good stuff. Especially breakfast cereals. I wish I could buy Special K or Kashi cereals because they taste so good, but they're too blinking expensive. My little ones love them too, and I feel terrible giving them sugary crap, but I'd spend half of my grocery budget just on breakfast if I bought the good stuff. I really should get up earlier in the morning and make oatmeal more often, but that gets really boring really fast. Anybody else sick of the compromise?

What about rolled oats and some fruit/cinnamon and a few nuts? I go to the bulk store and just get a big bag of rolled oats for a few dollars and if you "dress it up" right, it will keep you full.

I make a microwave oatmeal crisp at work when im hungry

1/3 cup rolled oats
    cinnamon to taste (i use a 1/4 tsp or so)
    1-2 TBSP Flax Seed

1 TBSP of any nut or seed butter you like
    1/2 TBSP of butter
    1/2 TBSP of pure maple syrup or honey or whichever liquid sweetener you like

Fruit of choice (I have tried apples, peaches, berries etc..)

put fruit first, then dry ingredients and then wet ingredients...nuke for 1 min..mix and re-nuke for 45 sec-1 min depending on your microwave