Steel Cut Oatmeal

Options
teetsel4
teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
Ok, ok.... I just tried steel cut oats for the first time, I usually eat regular oat (not instant or quick).

So I read the directions. Follow them to a T. As they are cooking, I am thinking, this does not look right. I am very skeptial. The pot I cooked them in has oats I think permanently bonded to the bottom. But you know what? I don't care! Those are the BEST gosh darn things I've had in a long time! Holy cow! Who knew? I am sold! The only problem is to stick to only one serving!:ohwell:

Simple Pleasure:

Finding a super healthy food that you would eat even on a cheat day! (Oooh a good topic for another post!)

Replies

• teetsel4
    Options
    Ok, ok.... I just tried steel cut oats for the first time, I usually eat regular oat (not instant or quick).

So I read the directions. Follow them to a T. As they are cooking, I am thinking, this does not look right. I am very skeptial. The pot I cooked them in has oats I think permanently bonded to the bottom. But you know what? I don't care! Those are the BEST gosh darn things I've had in a long time! Holy cow! Who knew? I am sold! The only problem is to stick to only one serving!:ohwell:

Simple Pleasure:

Finding a super healthy food that you would eat even on a cheat day! (Oooh a good topic for another post!)
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the recipe?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You can buy Quaker Steel cut Oats. You just have to cook them longer. Or make them in a crockpot overnight for a great breakfast in the morning.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I thought steel cut and "regular" oats were the same thing....

I used to eat "quick" oats, now I eat regular. Are steel cut just different or are they supposed to be better for you?
  • teetsel4
    Options
    I thought steel cut and "regular" oats were the same thing....

I used to eat "quick" oats, now I eat regular. Are steel cut just different or are they supposed to be better for you?

Steel cut oats are "irish oats". They are the whole grain and not as processed and therefore better for you. The regular oats or "rolled oats" are flat and still good for you, but the others are just plain better all the way around.

They do take longer to cook (35 mins) but are soooo worth it!
  • teetsel4
    Options
    Where did you get the recipe?

On the box, just followed the directions! Yum!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've made steel cut oats in a crock pot using the water-bath method. It keeps them from overcooking and making a mess in your crock pot. You just put a bowl surrounded by water into your crock pot and fill the bowl with the correct amounts of oats and water, (I believe 4 servings is the ideal amount), set it on low, and you have a fantastic breakfast for the next 4 mornings. The trick is finding a vessel that will fit in your crock pot and will fit the oats and water.

I love it!