Grrrrr ANNOYED!

Options
I just need to rant and vent for a moment and get something off my chest.

There is one thing I am completely sick of and thankfully, I haven't heard a lot of it here, but I have heard it.

"But you don't NEED a diet. You look FINE."

Or worse, and something that really pi$$ed me off that happened on Facebook:

I posted how I'd gained back the weight I'd lost and was frustrated with myself. Another friend posted that she'd gone through the same thing: gained 5 pounds over the holidays and it was demotivating. Then someone we both know posted this:

"Neither of you guys are overweight. Try treating a health problem and gaining 30 pounds. You have NOTHING to be demotivated about and it's so hard to listen to people who don't need to lose weight complain."

OMG NO YOU DIDN'T I CAN'T EVEN!!!

Do NOT tell me I don't have a "right" to want to feel and look my best. Do NOT act persecuted and put upon because you have more weight to lose. Do NOT play the health card - I have permanent nerve damage in one leg, and am on a med to treat depression that increases appetite and MAKES ME GAIN WEIGHT! Oh, and wanna know the fun part? It's the ONLY med I can take. Every single other one I've tried appears to be poison to my system.

Whether you need to lose 5 pounds or 100 pounds or 250 the challenges are the same. And I have a right to be comfortable in my body without that kind of crap or words like "eating disorder" being thrown around. I want to lose 10-12 pounds. That's it. There IS a point I will be happy with my body and I WILL be happy at that weight. I'm a small person. My wrist is 5 1/4" around. I should not be lugging around 130 pounds. There should not be a muffin top oozing over pants that were loose a year ago. No. Just no.

I do not have to be unhappy with my body image because someone else has a health issue, needs to lose more, or thinks I look fine. I know I'm not obese. But what am I supposed to do? Just keep eating and eating until I gain 100 pounds because really, why should I care? I mean, I'm glad people think I look good. But I don't think so, and that's what matters to me.

Believe me, I know it's human nature to say "Oh, you think YOU have it rough? Wait until you have THIS problem like I do."

But words hurt, and when you're already struggling with health issue and body image that's not what anyone needs to hear. I've never been overweight and it's difficult for me to be at this point in my life. And I want to nip it in the bud NOW before it does become a larger and harder to manage problem.

I have to say "no" to foods I want, and exercise even when I don't want to, just like everyone else.

*deep breath*

K. Done now. :mad:

Replies

• ranjitx
    Options
    OMG...SO TRUE! I don't know if it's worse from those with more weight to lose or someone who eats and eats and doesnt gain a pound. I went on different meds and here i am with now the whole 30 to lose again...and again...
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is very annoying, especially when it is not meant to be a compliment. You have every right to want to be healthy. Don't let anyone get you down. :flowerforyou:
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    wow. i can relate. sorry someone felt they had the right to devalue your feelings and your specific situation. ugh.

you know your body best and know what you want/need. GO GET 'EM GIRL!

xoxo.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I bet you feel better now after getting that out :-)
    The person who said that to you has no right, you deserve to feel comfortable in your own skin and if losing weight does that, brilliant. You have the right to be healthy, fit and to feel good.
    You keep at it girl :-) and celebrate te day you reach your goal

xx
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your "friend" felt the need to say that to you. I'm in the not alot to lose boat with you and it is very annoying to hear folks say that to you. You're right though, it is your body and if you aren't happy, you have the right to do something about it no matter what is going on in somebody else's life. Keep your chin up, you are doing the right thing for you and you are in the best place for it. Hugs!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I am hating on facebook lately. People write **** and when you call them out on it they call YOU names that actually apply to them. BUT.

opinions are like *kitten*, every body's got one. and this person probably thinks "woe is me" where you do not, you, regardless of health issues are doing something to make YOU happy. They can go stuff it up their nose!
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sounds like she's making excuses for her failures. i'd ignore her, an possibly not let her see comments relating to weightloss if it upsets her that much.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Some people......Vent away Friend!!!!!

From one to another who is in the same boat, meds and weight issue, I would never, Ever say anything like that...period!!!!

So sorry to hear about the nerve damage and the unfortunate issue of the only med that works does what it does.

Sending out a big Hug and a few of these :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hoping your day goes better and all my best!!!
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    That would make me crazy too! Off topic what antidepressant are you on?
  • rotherbmx
    Options
    worse things happen at sea :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I also have people say similar things and I can relate to wanting to smack them on the back of the head. When I first starting my weight loss goal, I remember posting it on Facebook because I really wanted to create accountabily for myself and to have my friends root me on. However, one friend basically said "oh please" and rolled his eyes (internet style, of course) and stated that he didn't really want to see posts about my journey. I told him to ignore my posts, but that I was going to continue posting my progress. Granted, the guy typically is sarcastic.... I put it down to jealousy basically and moved on, doing whatever I wanted.*LOL*

Shannon
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am hating on facebook lately. People write **** and when you call them out on it they call YOU names that actually apply to them. BUT.

opinions are like *kitten*, every body's got one. and this person probably thinks "woe is me" where you do not, you, regardless of health issues are doing something to make YOU happy. They can go stuff it up their nose!

EXACTLY! The person who said that was on this site for a couple weeks, never really tried (consistently over her calorie goal on AWFUL foods), and then quit after like 2 weeks. It's like, if you're not ready, fine. But then don't b1tch.

That would make me crazy too! Off topic what antidepressant are you on?

I take Remeron. All the SSRIs I've tried have done unholy things to me, and Wellbutrin kept me awake for 4 days. Straight. I didn't sleep a minute.