Cardio on a second floor apartment...

Options
124»

Replies

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I don't have time to drive out to a gym or anything... but I also live in a second floor apartment so I'd feel bad doing jumping jacks at around 8-9pm.
    What do you have for suggestions? I can easily do strength workouts up in my apartment with the equipment I have but no cardio.

I also live on the second floor. For my home workouts (mostly 30 Day Shred or other Jillian Michaels Videos) I use a mat for high knees, jumping jacks, etc and wear Nike free shoes. They really dampen the noise. Jump lunges I do on the wood floor.I asked my neighbor, if she hears me. She said no and I live in a badly sound proofed Apartment. On the JM circuits you rarely jump more than 30-60 seconds at a time and the workout takes about 30-60min. They are very efficient too.

I also second Jillian Michaels dvds and Jackie Warner DVDs (she does 100% strength no cardio but I burn more calories with her DVDs AND still get into cardio zone) Both kick your butt and are apartment friendly. Oh BTW I'm also a Senior in college and live in an upper flat and have had the roommate problem for 4 years now..never been an issue :) Good luck!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Hula Hoop! It's cheap and surprisingly high intensity (once you can get it to stay up, LOL)

What a good idea!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You know what? I would forget the cardio and focus on the body strength exercises. You will work up a sweat and keep maintaining.

If you can, go to a mall and walk around fast in there either early or late, when you have the time.
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I live on the main floor of a 1912 house converted into apartments so basically it's a run down apartment. My hardwood floors squeeze & creek all the time when i walk around too. I do an hour of cardio (calisthenic) 5 days a week. I use a yoga mat and I don't do a lot of jumping around. I run 15-25 minutes outside but I live in a pretty decent neighbourhood. What about stopping somewhere on your way home to get your running in? A safer neighbourhood and during early evening? I know getting exercise in is difficukt when you're busy but when I'm busy I fit it into the cracks of my life (i.e. always take the stairs, get off the bus a few stops early, walk to the store instead of driving etc). Currently my exercise routine is Ashley Conrad's Clutch Cut but I skip the 30 seconds of running in place each set. I try and get my squeaking done but 930 so I don't bother the couple that live below me. Hope that helps!
  • DMMayhue
    DMMayhue Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too Live on the second floor. when the weather is bad I Dance! Dance! Dance! ... I found some old Jock Jam cd's from when my girls wre young and now I dance to them with my grandchildren. I get the best cardio.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I live in a house with really bad floors. Most of the house is off limits for exercise for fear of things falling off walls, or you know the TV falling out of the entertainment center. So I searched the house for sections of floor that are quiet and don't casue the whole house to shake (there are two 5 foot squares in a two story 4 bedroom house). I do Jillian Michaels beginner workouts, there are cardio sections every couple minutes, but they only last 30 seconds at a time. Its a great workout, and in the right location makes very little, if any, noise. And Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos are nearly silent. As are yoga and pilates videos.

But you don't care about that. Every reply you've made has been an excuse to not workout. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but own up to the fact that you don't actually want to exercise and just stick to your calorie deficit.

There are days that I don't want to workout, and so I don't. I don't make an excuse for my unwillingness, I own up to the fact that I am lazy and have no motivation to get off my *kitten* that day, and just stick to my calorie goal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sigh. It makes me sad when people give so many great suggestions and the OP just gets mad because none of them are magic.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    just swingin back in here to see what OP decided to do about this conundrum.

any updates OP?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten a lot of great suggestions. You just need to give up the excuses and start using some of them.

More suggestions to add to the pile:

1. If the neighborhood around your work is safer than around home, bring a change of clothes with you and walk/run right after work. It would probably lessen your commute time too because you would miss rush hour (I'm assuming).

2. Tae Bo. I recommend Billy Blanks. It's all punching and kicking. No jumping. You can do this silently. Again suggesting to do it when you get home from work. Then do your homework. Same amount of time, just shifted.

3. Drive to a local park/bike path/elementary school and walk/run there.

You have a lot of options. You just need to get out of your own way.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    just swingin back in here to see what OP decided to do about this conundrum.

any updates OP?

Pretty sure the OP abandoned the thread the other day, unfortunately. I do hope they read every suggestion and took the advice to heart.