Have you used any weight loss supplements?

Options
I know some friends of mine did take something under a dr.s prescription. I was wondering if anyone has done any of the over the counter stuff? I keep looking at Jillian Michaels rapid weight loss system. I am just afraid of all these products and side effects. Has anyone taken anything they want to share about? How you felt? how long you took it? did you see results and so on.

Thanks
Talia

Replies

• btuman43
    Options
    I currently take GNC Mens Sport Multi Vitamens every day and have now for about 2 months. It helps get me some of the vitamens I may miss out on trying to eat so few calories.

I started taking 100mg of DHEA a few weeks ago after doing some research. So far I like it very much. I noticed a huge increase in energy levels. Prolly increased my testosterone levels which is something that it does. I would reccomend it, but I would also highly suggest you do your homework on it first to see if you think its right for you.

I just started taking Hydroxycut Hardcore also. Only 2 days into it so I cant really say its doing anything. I dont usually use fat burners because nothing replaces diet and exercise, but I got it on sale and figured it couldnt hurt.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i took the ph pill earlier this year that where perscribed by a (so called) dr. Yes i lost 15 lbs in one and a half months but i gained it all back as soon as i stopped taking the pills.

I currently don't take anything besides workout supplements this time around because I feel that i need to need to train (in a sense) my mind and body and learn how to eat the right things in order to lose weight. With the pills you can starve yourself because I never felt hungry. So now i'm doing it the slow and natural way and my weight isn't bouncing around like a yo yo.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I started taking OxyElite pro from GNC about a month ago. It really has helped my energy levels plus it helps to keep me focused. If you have any type of heart condition it is not recommended.

The other one I take is a dietary supplement. Bricker Labs B-12 Blast w/folic acid. I don't lose a lot per week but it has been a steady loss.
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    IMO less is more. The fewer unnatural things going in your body, the better. I'm not an organic purist health nut by any means :tongue: , but I've just seen some people get really sick from diet products. One of my clients was telling me how her doctor said that the reason her digestive track was so messed up was because of all the diet pills she experimented with! Yikes! Ulcers are not fun!

I'm with btuman43 on taking vitamins, and I do drink Myoplex lite for added protein if I've had a tough workout. Try to lose weight as naturally as you can, *slowly*, and it will stay off once you lose it! Do some crazy fad diet (Alli - poop your pants, :huh: HCG - starvation and hormone wrecker:noway: ) and you'll just gain it right back as soon as you quit since you didn't actually make a lifestyle change!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My weight loss supplements have been carrots, brocolli and exercise.

I am almost 50 and have tried everything imaginable to lose weight FAST. Fast doesn't cut it, as I learned the hard way.,

In a year I lost 35 lbs but better yet, I learned about diet, exercise and self control. I got leaner and healthier.........as well as getting some much needed self confidence you just cant get from a pill.

I kept it off for 2 years and then all hell broke loose in my life.

I gained back 10 pounds and lost all my muscle tone from doing................nothing!

The good news is I am still here on MFP and have come full circle back to my real way of life. Eating fresh foods, parking in the back of the lot, doing an extra lap around the grocery store *and avoiding the middle isles with processed foods*

Back to lifting weights and working my heart muscle on the Ellip,bike, walking and treadmill.

I promise if you change the way you think about food and moving, you will not need a pill to make you healthier.

Hope this helps......................even wee bit:flowerforyou:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex and lost weight, but the second I stopped taking it I gained the weight back. Plus, the side effects were awful.

Also, I saw a story on CNN earlier this month about "diet pills" where scientists studied two groups of people trying to lose weight. Both groups were given what they thought was a weight loss supplement similar to Adipex, but in reality only one group was given the REAL Adipex. The other group was given sugar pills.

At the end of the 90-day study, both groups lost an average of the same amount of weight.

Just food for thought =)
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying PGX and cayenne peper pills to get over a plateau. Took them for a week and my cravings seemed to be less. However a week off of them and I was eating everything in sight. So I'm kinda fence sitting. I would love to just get over this lump between 183 and 187 I've been fighting for almost 6 months now.