Aloe Vera Juice

Options
Tastes a little like tonic water. I keep mine in the fridge and after power walking...down 6 oz. every morning. It is very refreshing when it is ice cold. Living in the FL heat year round it is important to hydrate. So...I figure if these plants have properties to heal burns (the gel part) then the juice is also good for exposure to heat.

What do you think?

Replies

• Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Tastes a little like tonic water. I keep mine in the fridge and after power walking...down 6 oz. every morning. It is very refreshing when it is ice cold. Living in the FL heat year round it is important to hydrate. So...I figure if these plants have properties to heal burns (the gel part) then the juice is also good for exposure to heat.

What do you think?
  • luvs2havefun
    Options
    That stuff is amazing! I had a lot of small ulcers on my esophogus that were causing really bad pains a few years back and I started taking a tbsp. of it every night and they actually went away :bigsmile: !!! Being that it's natural I can't see there being any negatives to using this
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up, our neighbors were elderly and drank aloe vera juice in their orange juice every morning and they were so feisty!!! They swore by it, and said they were so healthy because they had been doing it for years and years. So, I think it's definitely a good thing to do. :smile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm a little unsure about aloe vera juice. Sure it's great to heal burns but drinking it serves what purpose? Hydration? That's what water is for. If you're short electrolytes then enjoy some Gatorade. I'm curious, what are your reasons for drinking aloe juice?

I went to MayoClinic.com and here is an excerpt from an article on aloe vera:

The use of aloe or aloe latex by mouth for laxative effects can cause cramping or diarrhea. Use for over seven days may cause dependency or worsening of constipation after the aloe is stopped. Ingestion of aloe for over one year has been reported to increase the risk of colorectal cancer. Individuals with severe abdominal pain, appendicitis, ileus (temporary paralysis of the bowel), or a prolonged period without bowel movements should not take aloe. There is a report of hepatitis (liver inflammation) with the use of oral aloe.

Electrolyte imbalances in the blood, including low potassium levels, may be caused by the laxative effect of aloe. This effect may be greater in people with diabetes or kidney disease. Low potassium levels can lead to abnormal heart rhythms or muscle weakness. People with heart disease, kidney disease, or electrolyte abnormalities should not take aloe by mouth. Healthcare professionals should watch for changes in potassium and other electrolytes in individuals who take aloe by mouth for more than a few days.

Aloe taken by mouth may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare professional, and medication adjustments may be necessary. People with thyroid disorders, kidney disease, heart disease, or electrolyte abnormalities should also use oral aloe only under medical supervision.

Avoid Aloe vera injections, which have been associated with cases of death under unclear circumstances.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aloe-vera/NS_patient-Aloe

In an article from WebMD regarding constipation they mention that, "Aloe juice or aloe latex have been used as a laxative, but should not be confused with aloe vera gel used for wound healing or sunburn. The FDA rules that aloe is not safe as a stimulant laxative. Rhubarb or any tonics containing it are also not proven safe as a laxative."

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/constipation-in-adults?page=4
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    my husband drinks this every morning, he loves it and he has great skin. i dont know if the aloe vera has anything to do with it though, maybe.:happy: