Eat before or after exercise?

Options
Hello, I would like to know if it is best to eat after you exercise or before? and if you do happen to
eat before exercise, how long should you wait before you workout?

Replies

• ccbulldog83
    ccbulldog83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have always ate before I exercise. I usually have half my morning oatmeal before my run/walk and eat the other half within 30 minutes of returning home...Or just eat a banana before I go. I can eat right before I run and have no problem. But I run the pace of a slow turtle:laugh:
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat something before your workout to fuel your body! i made the horrific mistake of working out extra hard on an empty stomach yesterday. Needless to say, glucose levels were really low, i had a vomit headache and was tko for a few hrs afterwards. I had to get home and eat some peanut butter. Ill never make that mistake again, but anything with complex carbs is great, a small snack with something that has healthy fats and maybe something lite w proteins after your workout would help just as much to avoid that after workout starvation feeling!
  • Cammyfaye
    Cammyfaye Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thank you :) I tend to like to exercise after I have something to eat but wasn't sure if that was the best way to go.
  • Cammyfaye
    Options
    thank you Shelle...I certainly don't need more headaches as I just had some surgery to get rid of the ones I was having already..I just really want to do things this time around the right way and not do things that might discourage me.
  • tacticonned
    Options
    I made the mistake of only eating a banana before a high cardio class (I was running late). So I skipped eating something decent - I exercise in the morning so I normally have cereal with fruit. Fast forward half an hour into the class, I could not focus and had no energy. Eventually I had to bolt for a toilet bowl. I lost my banana. I felt so embarrassed despite the fact no one knew. I felt better after and when I came back I managed to get back on track and finished the class. So yeah, definitely eat before you exercise...
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I train at 6:30 in the morning, I always put something quick like a banana or slice of toast, and then have a bigger meal after. But I think it all depends on the time of day, I come home from work at 6, and I don't eat before working out and feel perfectly fine. Everyone reacts differently
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i typically work out after work so i eat something an hour or so before i get to the gym so i have something in my system to fuel my workout and then i have a protein shake right after.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat before I lift but I typically dont eat before cardio since I do the latter very early
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine working out on an empty stomach, do it. If not, eat something. It really is that simple.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This will strictly come down to personal preference, I am up at 5 a.m. and eat a big breakfast by 6 and am heading to the gym by 7 and that works great for me but do a 180 and say I go to the gym around 5 in the afternoon and the most I want is a protein bar or carb bar before I hit the gym and then have a big meal once a return home.. It just basically comes to what you can adhere too..... Best of Luck.......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat something before your workout to fuel your body! i made the horrific mistake of working out extra hard on an empty stomach yesterday. Needless to say, glucose levels were really low, i had a vomit headache and was tko for a few hrs afterwards. I had to get home and eat some peanut butter. Ill never make that mistake again, but anything with complex carbs is great, a small snack with something that has healthy fats and maybe something lite w proteins after your workout would help just as much to avoid that after workout starvation feeling!
    Body doesn't have to be fueled before workout. Some people prefer to eat something, some don't. I train fasted. I eat up till 11:30pm at night, train anywhere from 9am-11am in the morning then eat after 12:00pm on a daily basis with no issues or lack of energy.
    It will be preference from person to person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never eat before. Always do my morning workouts on a fast. Afternoons when/if I run, I don't eat/drink for a couple hours before.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to work, eat something small beforehand-too much might cause you to cramp up
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the workout I am doing. Don't want too much food in there sloshing around if I am going on a Run.

29509743.png[/url
  • Cammyfaye
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback..I will try it a few different ways and see what seems to work best for my body. I really appreciate all the advice
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Body doesn't have to be fueled before workout. Some people prefer to eat something, some don't. I train fasted. I eat up till 11:30pm at night, train anywhere from 9am-11am in the morning then eat after 12:00pm on a daily basis with no issues or lack of energy.
    It will be preference from person to person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^This +10 ^^^^^^^

I get up at 4:30 AM and I am at the gym by 5AM. I have always worked out on an empty stomach. Doesn't matter if I was going to run 5 miles, do 30 minutes on an elliptical or do a heavy lifting session.

If my body needs energy, it knows where to get it. That wondrous fat wrapped around my awesome six pack abs. :wink: :laugh:

Disclaimer: When I did long runs, say over six miles, I always tried to eat something before I left the house. I am not doing those anymore though.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    As a logician, my response is "true".

Would have been the same answer if it had been an AND comparator as well.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i typically work out after work so i eat something an hour or so before i get to the gym so i have something in my system to fuel my workout and then i have a protein shake right after.

This ^^^^^^ I do the same.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I generally eat after I workout. If I should eat before any cardio exercise, I have to wait nearly two hours before I can get to my exercise. If not, I get sick - literally. Listen to your body.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Totally personal preference. I exercise at 5:30 am and can't stand to eat that early. So I work out and eat around 8 or 9 am. No issues. It's totally what works for you.