Would you log lawnmowing?

Options

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Breathing should be included in your BMR. Am I correct in that statement? srs.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if i worked up a sweat, sure - i'd log it. i'd also wear a HRM once to get an idea of exertion and burn so i knew how much to log.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have a me-propelled lawnmower, and 3/4 acre of that stupid thick-*kitten* zoysia grass with a hill in my front yard. I purposely mow the lawn because it does double as my workout, so hell yeah, I log it.

ETA I wear my hrm, so I have a pretty good idea of my calorie burn.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I have a me-propelled lawnmower, and 3/4 acre of that stupid thick-*kitten* zoysia grass with a hill in my front yard. I purposely mow the lawn because it does double as my workout, so hell yeah, I log it.

Nope, doesn't count. You really did not burn anything.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Yes.

Ty
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

You wanna take this outside, mister???
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I log it, but I only mow the lawn like twice a month, I use a push mower, and it takes me about an hour. Also, my backyard is a giant hill, which really sucks. I'm also set to sedentary.

I don't log housework because I do that every day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    yep.
    right in the checkbook.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Sure, bring your mower. We'll get the yards cut, log it, and then eat back all the calories.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    why...YES ... of course!!!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    What ever activity, exercise. craptivity you do log, if it fits and contributes to your goals, who gives a turd what others consider it.
    Thank you for saying so. :smile:

I have a broken back. I had to relearn how to walk and take care of myself. I am plagued everyday with excessive pain. If I walk it's a BIG deal. If I clean it's a BIG deal. But, that's me.

To the lady who keeps saying people are making excuses: You may be right but in my case YOU'RE WRONG! I've lost 91# in 9 months.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Sure, bring your mower. We'll get the yards cut, log it, and then eat back all the calories.

I do TDEE, but you can eat them. I'll bring the ice cream.
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I push mow my lawn and it's absolutely flat. It's not much of a work out for me. Therefore I just log it as walking because that's what I am doing. However, I would log it as you see fit. Your yard and yourself is different than me and my yard.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    yep.
    right in the checkbook.
    LOL. :D
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would definitely log it.
    We have high heat and humidity here in Mo and I know what you mean drenched in sweat
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Yes, I would definitely log it.
    We have high heat and humidity here in Mo and I know what you mean drenched in sweat

Sweat isn't an indicator of a good workout, that's why a hrm is a good idea.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

I do TDEE, but you can eat them. I'll bring the ice cream.

That sounds ideal.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    to me it depends on whether or not your normally mow the grass. if you mow every day (like that's your job) then no, I wouldn't log it. but if it's once a week or less, then I would log it.

just FYI: my cousin logged everything she did. everything. when she cooked a meal, she would log it somehow (can't remember, something like preparing meal or something like that) mowing lawn, housework, laundry, etc.
    she didn't lose any weight. she would eat all her calories and eat-back all her exercise calories, and obviously, with tracking every little movement you make, it would SEEM that you could eat way more than you actually can. she wondered why she wouldn't lose, when at the end of the day, she would still show she was "under calorie."
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I don't get some of you. Why the heck would you not log mowing the lawn when you are not using a riding mower?

It's OK to log a brisk walk but not push mowing the lawn? Hmm, something doesn't seem right there.

I guess I can understand if you you have one of those tiny lawns that take 5 minutes, but those of us that are blessed with a larger yard to enjoy, why can't we log an hour of mowing? I see some of you even looking down on people that log mowing their lawn.

Now, I don't log push mowing, but that is only because I use TDEE instead of MFP's method of calculating calories. If someone is using MFP's method then let them be.