Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does drinking alcohol stop weightloss?

Back on here after being off for a bit. Just wondered if you all thought that drinking alcohol in moderation (still well within calorie range) stops or slows weight loss? And btw, I'm looking for more accountability/motivation partners so if you would like to be friends, send me a request.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    No, it doesn't. If you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight. A lot of people just find that because most alcoholic drinks have a lot of calories, it can make it difficult to stay in a deficit.

Oh...and the 3AM Taco Bell that often comes along with drinking. Or is that just me?
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Sometimes I will have a glass of wine or two with dinner and have a few beers on the weekend while watching the game and my weight loss has been slow and steady. So in my experience, no it doesn't slow or stop weight loss as long as you stay in a deficit.
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    I try and avoid having alcohol too often when I'm trying to lose even when within my calorie target as I find it lowers my will power and affects my judgment!

I tend to want to follow a few dozen vodkas with a kebab and a snog with a dodgy bloke :laugh:

x
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    I had heard that it slows fat burning, no clue if that is true or not, but it would certainly be something to watch out for if true. Either way though, weight loss is calories in vs calories out, and as long as the calories in is less than out, you will lose weight.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    I personally stopped drinking for a whole month a year ago when I first started my weight lost journey (previously lost 15...but starting over now lol) and I found that I lost way more that month than I had any other month....but my drinking habits are probably different than yours. ( Before that month I would drink several drinks Thurs, Fri, Sat)
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    No, it doesn't. If you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight. A lot of people just find that because most alcoholic drinks have a lot of calories, it can make it difficult to stay in a deficit.

Oh...and the 3AM Taco Bell that often comes along with drinking. Or is that just me?

Not just you, lol.

But this. I don't drink as often as I used to -- beer is expensive! -- but I lost most of my weight when I was going on one to three times a week and having a few drinks.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Nope - just factor it in...
  • brittanyoneill37
    brittanyoneill37 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm planning on having a bottle of wine tonight to make sure it doesn't hinder my weight loss I've had lower calorie meals and I'm going to go to the gym before drinking it. You just need to make sacrifices if you want alcohol sometimes :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I sure hope not. If so, I am doomed.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    By itself alcohol doesn't hinder weight loss. However, like others have said alcohol brings in all kinds of other things that actually hinder weight loss. Your will power will be lowered. You'll snack more. You won't get up and do the work out you planned. etc.

When I lost my initial weight I didn't have any alcohol for 3 months. I've found it hard to replicate that type of loss while even having the occasional beer on the weekend. So right now, I just limit alcohol to special occasions.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    By itself alcohol doesn't hinder weight loss. However, like others have said alcohol brings in all kinds of other things that actually hinder weight loss. Your will power will be lowered. You'll snack more. You won't get up and do the work out you planned. etc.

When I lost my initial weight I didn't have any alcohol for 3 months. I've found it hard to replicate that type of loss while even having the occasional beer on the weekend. So right now, I just limit alcohol to special occasions.

I think you mean: Your will power MAY be lowered. You MAY snack more. You MAY not get up and do your workout.

I drink almost every day and have lost 4 lbs in a month. I don't intend to stop drinking for the rest of my life so I need to learn to manage my weight while drinking.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    no just have to work off those calories just like any other

29509743.png[/url
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Hasn't hindered my weight loss and I like a beer with supper about every night and a couple more on the weekends... As long as it fits within the confines of your caloric intake for whatever deficit you are running, then I say No problem whatsoever....... Best of Luck
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    The way I look at it is this...

Are you going to quit alcohol for the rest of your life? If not, then the sooner you learn how to fit it into your calories, and either avoid or account for the snacking, the better. I drink about four days a week, usually craft beer, and I've been maintaining just fine.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    I drank through weight loss and maintenance and so long as it's logged it hasn't caused any problems (apart from the odd hangover) :sick:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If you stay within your calories, it shouldn't stop you from losing.

"Moderate" always differs, but it really differs for drinkers. Some would say that two or three times a year is moderate, while others would say that two or three drinks a day is a moderate amount. When discussing "moderate" as it relates to alcohol, you might want to be specific. :)
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    I would not take the alcohol from your base calories. It has Zero nutritional value. You need a certain amount of nutrients to live. I do often take them from my work out calories. so if my base calories is 1,600 and I worked out for 600 calories that day, then I can have 600 calories worth of alcohol if I choose too. This dose three things for me.

1) Limits my booze a lot. That's only about 9 OZ of bourbon. or 6 light beers.

2) It makes me want to work out harder on Saturday to make for the night out later

3) It makes me still eat. Alcohol on an empty stomach is bad

I agree with an earlier poster who said unless you give up alcohol forever, then you need to find a way to work it in. Same goes for junk food, or anything else.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    I've lost weight while I drank 1-2 glasses of red wine a week (usually on the weekend). It didn't seem to stop the weight loss. Some studies say it hinders weight loss and some tout the benefits of red wine... so I tested it out on my body and it made no difference. I expect the result would be different of course if I was downing a case of beer every night or something like that.
  • I have found that having beers used to make me bloated and increased my weight. It also makes me want to snack more and I become so sluggish, I do not always feel to exercise. Therefore, whenever I want to lose weight, I refrain from alcohol. Even when I'm on weight maintenance, I'm quite reserved in my alcohol intake.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Just keep in mind that quantities poured in a bar are rarely an actual serving. Most good bartenders overpour. If you stick with things in bottles, it's easier to count the calories, but they also are usually higher in calories than liquor.