Low Resting Heart Rate & HRM's

Tuckersn
Tuckersn Posts: 149
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a low resting heart rate, 43-47 beats a minute. My heart rate monitor bases my calories burned on the energy expended (calories burned) based on heart rate but there is nowhere to input my resting heart rate. Do I burn more calories, say at 154 beats per minute, than a person with the more typical resting heart rate of 60-70 beats per minute?? If so, is it a significant difference?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    wow that's a really low heart rate. I think the format has to do with your age and yadda yadda.

I would think that you'd burn the same amount of calories @ 154 as a person with resting rate of 70. But IDK. Might just take you longer to get to the higher number as a person with the lower heart rate.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    My resting is in the low to mid 50's. I heard the lower your resting heart rate is the more efficient your heart is at pumping the blood. I have found that as I've been running more and doing a lot more cardio my resting HR has gone down.

Now I don't know the direct answer to your question. I do know that my HRM shows me calories burned and that with a basic run takes a few minutes to get to the 150's but then I can hold it steady there for the duration of my run. Now someone who is more out of shape may barely jog and hit 160 on HRM, me I have to be at about a 5.5 MPH pace for that to happen.
  • I have a low resting heart rate, 43-47 beats a minute. My heart rate monitor bases my calories burned on the energy expended (calories burned) based on heart rate but there is nowhere to input my resting heart rate. Do I burn more calories, say at 154 beats per minute, than a person with the more typical resting heart rate of 60-70 beats per minute?? If so, is it a significant difference?

Are you very fit? Are you a runner? If you're very fit than you would actually burn less because that person isn't going to be as well conditioned and so their heart rate will stay higher for longer.

I have a fairly low resting as well and it's around the same as yours. It takes a lot for me to increase my heart rate into the 140+ range and when I do the instant I stop moving or slow down it drops very quickly. Now see someone that's not as well-conditioned will stay there for much longer maybe a few minutes even. The crappy thing is the more well conditioned you are the less calories you will burn and the harder you will have to work to burn those same calories you burned in the beginning. But the great thing about that is you will be able to push yourself harder, go faster or further than you ever could be fore which is a great experience. You won't get as tired and out of breath as quickly as before.

Now if you're not fit and that is your resting heart rate. You may just have a naturally low resting heart rate but to be sure I would consider seeing a doctor to let them assess it.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    My heart rates always been low. Not concerned about it really. I was mostly curious if anyone knew off-hand. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing . . . :0) Thanks for your thoughts! Always helpful.
This discussion has been closed.