Gym Scales

Options
:tongue: I try not to get on the scale very much. However I weigh in at the gym once in awhile. I lost six pound in three weeks(mainly because I was sick for one of those weeks). I weighed 140 after loosing those 6 pounds. I got this from my scale at home. So I weighed myself on the gym scale four days later and it said 144. Then I weighed myself today at the gym(five days later) and it said 148!!!! NO way!! I may retaining water(that time of the month :)) But I shouldn't be gaining weight like that. I have been exercising every day and eating my allowed calories and sometimes 200 left over. I think these scales at the gym are wrong. Anyone else think so?? Or am I really retaining that much in water?

Replies

• monicayogima
    Options
    :tongue: I try not to get on the scale very much. However I weigh in at the gym once in awhile. I lost six pound in three weeks(mainly because I was sick for one of those weeks). I weighed 140 after loosing those 6 pounds. I got this from my scale at home. So I weighed myself on the gym scale four days later and it said 144. Then I weighed myself today at the gym(five days later) and it said 148!!!! NO way!! I may retaining water(that time of the month :)) But I shouldn't be gaining weight like that. I have been exercising every day and eating my allowed calories and sometimes 200 left over. I think these scales at the gym are wrong. Anyone else think so?? Or am I really retaining that much in water?
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I avoid the gym scales like I do the scales at the doctor's. No way, no how. I have seen a discrepancy in as much as 10lbs between them all. Granted it depends on what you are wearing and the time of day and yeah, month, but if you weigh in at home in the am, no clothes and all that, you normally will weigh less. Later in the day, especially after a workout, you can add water, clothes, shoes, etc.
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    i weigh myself at the same time in the day, the same clothes (or lack of clothes) on the same scale. that's the best advice I can give you. I've read that's what you should do. Anyway, I find changing scales gets me mad.
    if you think you are retaining water--- drink more water, it's the only way to tell. (other then the color of the water after you go potty.)
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time each day on the same scale. If the gym scale is the one where you slide the ruler over side to side make sure it is balanced at 0 before you get on. If it isn't, it will be off and it may need to be recalibrated.
    Take your measurements to it will help you see your results differently. (bust, waist at your belly button, hips on the widest part, upper arm and the upper thigh)
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the gym scales. They most generally are never right!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    one good way to check if the scale at the gym is correct is to grab a 10lb weight and set it on the scale. If the scale reads 10lbs, its correct, if it reads 12lbs or something, its off, and then when you weigh yourself you can just adjust to how off the scale was.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The only scale I use is my gym scale. I weigh after my workout around the same time most days with nothing on.

I think if you use the same scale every time then it really doesn't matter if that scale is off by a couple of pounds.
  • monicayogima
    Options
    that is a great idea i am going to do it in the morning after my spin class:smile: